Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kdost

Sleeping Issues: Taking longer and longer to fall asleep. Help Appreciated!

kdost

Lately, ever since I've been going to bed, it takes me longer and longer to get to sleep.

It started out fine at first, being only 10-15 minutes before I was asleep. But now it sometimes takes up to 1-2 hours.

As far as I know, I haven't changed much in my diet, and I don't have any symptoms like RLS. I get a moderate amount of exercise as well.

Perhaps it's because of stress or overwork, but I was wondering if this has happened to any of you before? I'd love to hear your advice, and strategies for overcoming this.

Thanks in advance!

macksvicky

It does happen to the best of us. Can you try going to bed earlier and read awhile before trying to sleep? Or trying to clear your mind and count backwards from 100. There have been times I've counted from 100 more than once. If there is something nagging at my mind it's hard to clear my mind. Stress from work issues are hard to put aside but try to remind yourself, there's nothing you can do about it now but tomorrow is another day and you can tackle whatever it is then.

That's about all I've got, hope it helps and maybe others will have more helpful hints :)

dowling gram

Most times what keeps us awake is that people don't shut off their brains. As long as the brain is active thinking about things the longer it takes to fall asleep. Stress does not help either because your mind goes round and around trying to solve problems and as long as your mind is active you won't sleep. Try this--

Get in a relaxed comfortable position in bed. Empty your mind. When stray thoughts creep in tell yourself you are not going to think about that right now. You want your mind to be a big void. Breathe deeply down into the bottom of the lungs. Your stomach should rise and fall. Focus on your breathing and hear and feel the air going in and out slowly and evenly. Chances are you'll be asleep before you know it. I learned this technique years ago and it has never failed me yet

Kit

lol, empty your mind.  The only thing that can do that for me would be a bullet or similar.  :)

I can't meditate either.  Same issue.  I end up thinking about how the diaphragm works and moves or how to communicate with aliens when you have no common frame of reference.

I found going through multiplication tables can help me somewhat.  It needs to be something that requires focus (otherwise I go back to the aliens), but at the same time is still simple.

dowling gram
1 hour ago, Kit said:

lol, empty your mind.  The only thing that can do that for me would be a bullet or similar.  :)

I can't meditate either.  Same issue.  I end up thinking about how the diaphragm works and moves or how to communicate with aliens when you have no common frame of reference.

I found going through multiplication tables can help me somewhat.  It needs to be something that requires focus (otherwise I go back to the aliens), but at the same time is still simple.

Emptying your mind takes practice and the ability to chase thoughts away by telling yourself you aren't going to think about them. That is one reason I say to concentrate and pay attention to how you are breathing. Once you have mastered both it is very easy to slip into the state where nothing intrudes. I can now fall asleep within seconds and meditation helps me both mentally and physically.

By doing the multiplication tables you are achieving the same state as concentrating on your breathing and by keeping your mind off problems your mind is relatively empty.

Did you ever think why reading a simple work of fiction in bed makes people sleep. It's because your mind is distracted and not really thinking and since your body is in a relaxed state you get tired and sleep

kdost

Thanks for all the support and advice! I haven't tried reading before bed, but perhaps it is something I can try. The last thing I often look at before bed is a laptop screen. I'm just curious why it has started to bother me now as opposed to before. 

I'll also keep meditation in mind as well. I don't generally have a problem with this though, as I'm usually very good at not thinking about anything while sleeping. 

As far as my bedtime blood sugar is concerned, I'm at usually about 5 - 6.8 (90 - 122) so I'm keeping that in check. However, I've noticed that sometimes when I've had high sugar levels (of 10 - 11 for example) I often feel really antsy and hyper, which I sometimes feel even when my sugar level is in the normal range. 

mystiquarte

i don't know if this works for everyone but every time i read a text book [i'm reading a law text book currently] i fall asleep after only a page or two, i'd joke that the publishers somehow had a sedative attached to the font.  If not a text book then a very intense book.

or

you can try meditation and ti chi both help relaxation  there are herbs that help invoke sleep sometimes they come with a bunch of other herbs that are not neccessary - i always found it more beneficial to go for the one that works best - Valerian read more here

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.