Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marco

Carb Estimation – How do you manage it?

Marco

Hi there

My girlfriend got diagnosed Type 1 Diabetes about four years ago. One of the issues she struggled with, was estimating carbs for defining insulin bolus (e.g. in restaurants). How did you learn to manage this?

We came up with some ideas on how people could get better on learning about the impact of certain foods on their glucose. Imagine you are having your meal in front of you. You input your carb estimate and compare with the one from an app. Or you eat the same pizza you had a few weeks ago but cant remember if the bolus insulin was appropriate but you could easily look it up by taking a picture.

Happy to hear your feedback, inputs and experiences.

Have a great weekend, Aurelian

You can find out more on the idea here: www.yourmeal.info

NoraWI

Could this be a delicate spam? If not, I'll say that carb content does NOT remain the same from time to time. Or, maybe the carb content remains static, however, the amount of insulin required varies on a person to person basis according to time of year, time of day, context of the meal that changes with what else you eat at the same time. I keep a notebook with daily entries for test results, time of day, amount of insulin taken and foods consumed. You could do it on a phone app; I do it with a tiny spiral bound notebook and pen. :rolleyes:

Marco

Hi Nora, 

you are right there are certainly more factors than just the amount of carbs we experienced that as well :-) particularly when one does not feel that well or is stressed. Thanks for the hint with the book!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.