Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Carol_42

Bitter Melon

Carol_42

DiabeTea: Gymnema Bitter Melon Cinnamon Herbal Tea Natural Remedy 3oz 40 cups

$20.13 out-the-door

I just ordered this Bitter Melon tea from Amazon in hopes of lowering my FBG scores.  Hope this is a good brand and I hope it works for me.  But I also noticed Amazon sells Bitter Melon Supplements in pill form. 

My questions are: 

1)  Has anybody had good results taking the supplements as opposed to the tea?

2)  Has anybody cooked a meal with a bitter melon?

I appreciate any input that is out there.  Hugs,

CB 

Carol_42
4 hours ago, ran23 said:

Ask you Asian friends, I remember it as a child as very bitter. It would be a small amount to other dishes. 

I don't have any Asian friends.  And there is no Asian restaurant in my town.  I'll see if I can find some input at Amazon.  Thanks for your reply.

TX_Clint

I tried it for about 2 months but didn't notice any effect on my bg readings. I've gotten away from drinking it every day but still have a cup when I think of it. 

carfree

I've tried homemade bitter melon juice, which I don't think helped much.  It is super bitter too.  The whole melon is sold at our farmer's market and a local Asian grocery. I started taking pill form but felt sick(probably unrelated to the bitter melon but stopped taking it anyway).  Best of luck.

I tried a bitter melon powder and did notice a drop in my blood sugar. Because I am on an insulin pump I stopped using it but it was working to well. When I get back home in 5 days I will post a picture of it. I bought it at H mart an Asian store they had a Asian pharmacy store that I stopped in and asked if they had anything that would help lower my blood sugar levels. I was shown the bitter melon powder and bitter melon in pill form. I went with the powder because it was cheaper and I could by the capsule to turn the powder into pill from Amazon cheaper then what the pills cost at the store. I used one scoop which I think was about a tablespoon worth of bitter melon powder and mixed it will 8 ounces of water and drunk it. Not the best tasting drink but after a while got used to the taste it took about a week before I noticed a drop in my blood sugar levels and by the second week I awoke to the fire department holding a bag of glucose above me with an IV in my arm. It was working to well for me so I thought ok only use half a scoop. Turns out  13 days later I was again revived from a low Blood sugar of 29 so I quit using the bitter melon powder. So as with anything results vary per person as I have read here that some people drinking coffee makes their blood sugar go high but I am lucky because I can drink coffee without my blood sugar going high.

TX_Clint

I tried bitter melon tea but it didn't do much. I'll try some powder after the holidays. I'm also able to drink coffee with no issues. I'm thankful for that as I'm one of those that always has a cup at hand. I will also try using Crystal Light along with it to improve the taste.

shashank16997

Hot Water Compress

You can also follow hot water bag as a treatment for leg cramps. Hot water will give instant relief from pain by loosening up the tighten muscles. While using hot water bag or electric heating pad massage the affected area with few amount of VapoRub. To achieve a better result and get relief from leg cramps repeat this remedies several times.

dowling gram
On 2/2/2018 at 9:34 AM, shashank16997 said:

Hot Water Compress

You can also follow hot water bag as a treatment for leg cramps. Hot water will give instant relief from pain by loosening up the tighten muscles. While using hot water bag or electric heating pad massage the affected area with few amount of VapoRub. To achieve a better result and get relief from leg cramps repeat this remedies several times.

Heat does relieve leg cramps but I wouldn't go to the lengths you advocate. A warm magic bag is all I use when I have them. All my life I was bothered by leg cramps. They'd wake me up from a sound sleep. A friend told me her doctor told her to drink a glass of water at bed time. He said your leg muscles cramp because they are dehydrated. I tried it and it works for the most part. Now I only get leg cramps when I've overused my muscles

janice21475

Thanks for that info DG. It certainly pays to read as many threads as possible. You never know where the gems are deposited.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.