Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fraser

Chi Running

Fraser

I recently took a half day class in Chi Running, just wondering if others have tried and how it worked.

supposes to be less stress on joint etc. has anyone integrated it into their running program?

NoraWI

Makes sense to me! Energy efficiency and positive use of gravity sound about right. But I am not a runner and am too danged old to start now. Hope this technique gives you many more years of activity.

notme

I would love to hear what "Chi Running" actually is and what you do to put less stress on your joints.  

I have just just started a 60 day challenge at the gym. It is really hard to stay motivated and forms, a challenge is helpful.  I am focusing on my end result which is better muscle tone and health.  

Cant wait to hear about Chi running.  

control
1 hour ago, notme said:

I would love to hear what "Chi Running" actually is and what you do to put less stress on your joints. 

ChiRunning is a form of running influenced by t'ai chi.

So, it must be running, really, really slowly.  Ergo, less stress. 

Ba dah dum. 

TX_Clint
5 minutes ago, control said:

So, it must be running, really, really slowly.  Ergo, less stress. 

Ba dah dum. 

So... in other words.... walking? :)

macksvicky

They also have chi walking. I need to watch it on youtube first to see what a walker really looks like doing it. I don't need to look any crazier walking around in the mornings than I already do.

Fraser

I already run slowly just by myself. 👍

the concept is more using ththe natural forces of you moving body rather than powering by pushing your body. 

For level running you keep you beats ( foot stikes) at the same rate, you accelerate by the entire body leaning slightly forward and adjust you speed by varying the lean, going down hill you still lean forward, but no braking (saves sore knees) . Just let the hill pull you. They do teach you how to panic stop if you need to. The strangest is going up hills. You actually take shorter steps at the same rate and move you arms up higher and faster. It works, the exaggerated upward movement of the arms actually picks you body upward and your legs do less work.  I only taken one class

and of course there are utube videos and just got the book Saturday.  So I am sure there is a lot more too it.

you also raise you feet higher behind you, th re is also

much work on posture and body form. 

Does it really work, don't know yet.   

My PC was concerned what my running is doing to my joints, she sent me to s physical Therapist for an evaluation becuse of my AGE. Ugh. I am almost 72.   But i passed inspection, no arthritis, no mobility issues. Could be more flexible .  She is a runner and has seen those in their 70s that start have injuries.  Thus the chi running . To save joints  she also wants me to limit running to three times a week 3 to four mile runs.  Again I those who do more at my age have injuries. ( verified by talking with the few runners over 75 that are still active)

there us is a book on CHI walking too. You won't look funny )

I will ill let you know how it goes.

macksvicky

Thanks, looking forward to how it works. I can't do the running because of the knee replacements but I do a lot of walking so it's good to know the same techniques are applied.

Fraser

Some of the same principles of Allowing  the body to pull you along, are used in race walking 

which I have tried, now talk about looking silly do race walking

adiantum

Theres a few videos of it on youtube. I'm sure i'd fall flat on my face.

I am always impressed when members like Fraser share their activities & hope others will feel inspired.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.