Diabetes forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JanetP

Increased appetite after exercise.

JanetP

How do you manage it?  I am starving after exercise, in spite of deliberately eating an hour before the workout.  And the morning after is worse even though I make a point of having a high fat snack before bed.  

meyery2k

When I do a prolonged period of exercise (especially cycling), I have found that I am ravenous.  I tested my BG on several occasions and it was in the high 60's to which I suppose the hunger comes from.  I will also sometimes test lower than usual the next morning (high 70's to low 80's) and be hungrier than usual.  I now eat on the road.  I carry some nuts or plan a special meal somewhere where I don't totally abandon low carb but I will relax a little on the carbs and maybe have some potatoes or something in moderation.

I don't pretend to know the mechanics but I have read that when we exercise our muscles can use glucose without needing insulin.  Apparently this benefit to the BG last several hours to one day after the exercise period which is why we are encouraged to exercise.

Bar&In

I try not to eat 2 hours prior and 2 hours post, burn more on empty stomach and still burning hours after. It sucks at times but just have to keep telling yourself is it worth it after what you just endured.

notme

I eat protein after I work out.  I struggled today.  Running on empty.  

Try eating a small protein snack right after you work out and I mean right after.   By the time you get home the hunger will have subsided and you are helping your body by not having it go after your muscle mass.  I always eat a small protein snack before I work out.   

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.