Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Loolootype2

New to Type 2 and Metformin 500MG Tab Leg

Loolootype2

Hi, I'm new to having Type 2, my grandmother and aunt had it, my daughter is borderline as well. My clinician put me on 500 mg Metformin TAB LEG, whatever LEG means and whenever I take it as prescribed I drop and feel horrible. Usually wind up asleep and wishing I hadn't taken it. The bad feeling lasts all day. For example a few nights ago my husband decided he wanted to go to Wallyworld at 8 in the evening for some car stuff and a few groceries. I had slept most of the day after taking Metformin that morning and had literally just awoke when he came home. I got up, dressed and drank some water before leaving with him. By the time we went once around the store I was about to drop, sweating profusely and feeling light headed, short of breath. I am a CHF patient and have a defib which was not triggered to my knowledge and I have felt it jump in before.  I sat on a bench after freaking him out and rested until he had checked out. I still felt bad until we stopped and got a cold drink, the sugar put me to rights again. This isn't the only time I've had such an episode, but it was worse than the ones before. I truthfully don't eat much real sugar or carbs, I didn't even finish the soda he bought for me. Does it sound like the dose is too high?  Why, after three weeks am I feeling worse on this medicine than I was without it?
Also, my Clinician only put me on medicine no monitoring etc. Should I be concerned about this? Should I ask about a testing doohickey?  I mean, really I think she's a quack already but I'm stuck for monetary reasons.

Kit

A little poking around suggests that LEG may be the abbreviation for the manufacturer of that particular medication.  not positive if this is the case however.

It sounds like you may have had a false hypo from your description.  As our blood glucose levels drop from the accustomed higher ranges, our bodies react even though the levels are normal or even still above normal.  The affect wears off as our bodies adjust to the new levels.

You absolutely should be testing.  If your doctor won't give you a prescription for a meter and strips, go back to Walmart and get a ReliOn Prime.  The meter is under $20 and strips are $9 for 50 or $18 for 100.  Its my go to meter.

You'll also need a lancing device as the meter doesn't come with one as well as some lancets.  Any brand can be used.  I tend to like the One Touch Delica.  A box of lancets can last for years and years.  I only change mine out about once a month.  Some people go even longer, but I find that in a month the needle dulls enough that it can start to be a little painful.

Next time you feel like that, test yourself.  If you aren't below 70, you are not hypo and there is no need to treat yourself with sugar.  For false hypos (I had them as well when I was first getting my numbers down) I found a small snack like a few nuts, a piece of cheese, or similar would get rid of that feeling without boosting my numbers back way up.

Fraser

I have mentioned this before. I am not a fan of Walmart, especially their ReLion brand. My preference, is the CVS Advance system. 200 strips $30.  (15 cents a strip). Medicare pays for one touch blue strips but only 2 a day.  So I use CVs to supplement. The readings are pretty much the same.  I get my one touch strips through the mail pharmacy,  so there is a wait. I like the option of CVS 

they are nearby (Walmart is not).  If I run out or have to stock up for an unexpected trip, it is convenient. It is nice to not have to order something online for a change. .  😋

meyery2k

Looloo - What Kit says, you can take to the bank.  Get a meter and in a short time you will figure out how you work.  Everyone seems to be a bit different.  When I was first diagnosed and getting used to the new lifestyle of LCHF (low carb/high fat), I felt a bit unwell for about 2 weeks. No energy and just a blah feeling.  It passed and I now feel better than I have in years.

I hope you decide to join our community. ~ Mike

Dave_KC

I agree with @meyery2k, listen to @Kit, her advise is right on.  

I've not used the CVS, but have done just fine with the old Wally World ReliOn Prime. And I too felt pretty blah for the first couple of weeks dealing with false hypos, with one of my symptoms being weird eye behavior.  I was ready to throw away my glasses they were working so poorly, and it prompted a new pair through Zenni Optical.  

Then things calmed down, and I'm feeling great these days, have lots of energy, and hit 10k steps or more every day, often 15k or more.  

Loolootype2

Thank you all so very much! I am going to see about the test kit soon, I am in the middle of changing to a different clinic branch and thank goodness a different clinician. I really really appreciate your advice and assurances. I am much more confident in taking the medicine now.

meyery2k

To test at home at the frequency you will need to figure things out, you will need a meter, strips, and lancets.

I use the Relion meter for this and it seems good enough to me.  Meters are allowed an error rate of up to 20% so if you compare readings across 2 meters, you might see some large differences.  The important thing is to see what the trend is in the long run.

Insurance allow for 100 strips for my One Touch every 3 months because it is felt I only need to test once a day.  While that is mostly true now, when I was first learning about how all this worked I was testing every meal.  Even now, I occasionally spot check meals so I have the Relion for this.

I like the Relion because the strips are cheap.  $20 for 100.

Loolootype2
5 minutes ago, meyery2k said:

Thanks very much! I am on a limited budget, I don't qualify for medicaid, have to wait 2 years for my Disability Medicare so I'm stuck. Disabled but cant get health care. You've helped a lot! ~Loolootype2

To test at home at the frequency you will need to figure things out, you will need a meter, strips, and lancets.

I use the Relion meter for this and it seems good enough to me.  Meters are allowed an error rate of up to 20% so if you compare readings across 2 meters, you might see some large differences.  The important thing is to see what the trend is in the long run.

Insurance allow for 100 strips for my One Touch every 3 months because it is felt I only need to test once a day.  While that is mostly true now, when I was first learning about how all this worked I was testing every meal.  Even now, I occasionally spot check meals so I have the Relion for this.

I like the Relion because the strips are cheap.  $20 for 100.

Kit

That's the main reason I went with the ReliOn Prime as well.  Insurance copay is $30 for strips, regardless of the number of strips you get.  Sounds good yes until you go in one month and have to pay the $30 copay for 25 strips because they don't think you need to test very often.

Needless to say I got pissed off and decided I'd never be dependent upon doctors or insurance companies for strips ever again.

The out of pocket cost of strips for the meter my insurance company would cover was ridiculous.  A couple hundred dollars a month.  I found I could buy 100 on Amazon for $70, which was better but still expensive.  So I switched and have never gone back.  I don't think I've filled my strip prescription for a couple of years now.

Yes, you need a meter, strips, a lancing device, and lancets.

A box of lancets (usually come with 100) will last years.

The meter will also last for years and years unless you do something stupid like my husband and step on it in the dark.

I'm still using the same lancing device I got on diagnosis 3.5 years later, though I would assume the spring will eventually wear out.

Strips are the only consistent cost.

I bought my meter and strips directly from Walmart's online store.  Last time I looked at the strips on Amazon, they were significantly more expensive.  I buy two to three hundred at a time and get free shipping and they last me for months.

When you buy your lancing device and lancets, make sure you get the lancets which go with the lancing device you have chosen.

There are usually two different gauge sizes, 30 and 33.  The 33s are smaller and some people find its less painful with them.  They won't draw blood for me no matter how deep I set it.  The 30s do much better and I have the device set to the second shallowest depth.  It works for me.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.