Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LaRue

Best snacks to bring on road trip?

LaRue

Hey everyone.

I'm going to be traveling by car from Austin Tx to San Miguel de Allende next week.

It's the first time I'm driving there, and over the border into Mexico, so I'm breaking the 12 or 13 hour trip into 2 days.

It's only 3 hours to the border in Laredo, almost seems like a waste to drive so short a time and stay in a hotel. But, I'm not familiar with the actual crossing process (Yes, have all the necessary paperwork), So I'll do the 9 hour part the 2nd day.

I don't speak Spanish beyond a few necessary phrases, so don't want to be stopping for a full meal. I'd rather just make stops for gas. I love driving.

So, what to bring to snack on, while listening to audio books in the car?

Dave_KC

Almonds are great, Atkins bars are good, but a bit pricy.  Another thing I do is in the shell sunflower seeds.  There's like  5 carbs, with 3 fiber per serving, (net 2 if you follow net) and with cracking the shell, I'm not sure, but I think I expend more energy eating them than I get from them. 

Fraser

Kind bar peanuts and dark chocolate.  For me not a bad spike, but you also only eat 1/2 the bar at a time.  17 carbs for full bar.  They claim it is low glycemic

atkin bars don't work 

LaRue

Thanks everyone!

Good to know my thinking was on the right track.

I was thinking almonds and some leftover macadamia nuts, pork rinds, some Baby Bell cheese (the ones wrapped in wax. They aren't my fav, but I've got a bunch of them in my crisper. Plenty of water, and some caprese tomatoes I know my husband won't eat while I'm gone.

My first keto trip.

Dave_KC
16 hours ago, LaRue said:

I shun anything that says atkins on it.

B)

I don't necessarily, although like most foods, using one's brains regarding what's going on with the food matters.  They make some very usable frozen lunches for work that I can actually use.  Otherwise, there's three total others in the WalMart frozen food case that work for me.  

LaRue

It's not logical Dave, there's just something about that guy, and brand, that are like fingers on a chalkboard for me.

dowling gram

When I travel I always roast some nuts before hand. Usually pecans and walnuts. I also bring a small cooler bag that is tall enough to hold my water bottle upright. I  have a Rubbermaid water bottle with a screw on top. I fill it 2/3's full with my Britta filtered water and freeze it. You have to allow for expansion as it freezes. It fits on one side of my bag and any perishables and drinks fill the rest. Everything stays cold for at least 24 hours If you close it right after you take things out. If I need it longer than that I ask a restaurant to fill my bottle with ice cubes. As the ice melts I drink the ice cold water.

apostasy

Maybe not the most road-friendly, but I love cucumbers and newman's own caeser salad dressing.  Very low carb at least.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.