Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

adiantum

RU OK?

adiantum

R U OK? Day is an annual day in September (the second Thursday) dedicated to remind people to ask family, friends and colleagues the question, "R U OK?", in a meaningful way, because connecting regularly and meaningfully is one thing everyone can do to make a difference to anyone who might be struggling.

R U OK? is a not-for-profit suicide prevention organisation founded by Australian ad man Gavin Larkin in 2009 as a result of his participation in Landmark Worldwide's Self-Expression and Leadership Program, which requires attendees to create a community project.

R U OK? works collaboratively with experts in suicide prevention and mental illness, as well as government departments, corporate leaders, teachers, universities, students and community groups. Its activities also align with the Australian Government's LIFE Framework.

Gavin Larkin experienced the suicide of his father in 1995 resulting in the eventual co-creation with Janina Nearn of "R U OK?" in 2009.

The R U OK? tagline was brought about from extensive research proving that checking in with someone can really make a difference to their mental state. On the R U OK? website Gavin has said that, "Getting connected and staying connected is the best thing anyone can do for themselves and for those who may be at risk.

NoraWI

Interesting you should bring this up. For the last couple of weeks I have been trying to reach a friend by phone and getting shuttled to voice mail. No callbacks to my messages. Tonight I decided to phone one of her local sons. But it is impossible to find phone numbers for people anymore. I tried the telephone directories. Nothing. I tried Googling them. Nothing. I even tried to find a number for her adult grandson. No luck. Tomorrow I will do what I think is basically wrong... I will phone one of her sons at his work to ask him if his mother is OK. The lack of privacy today is astounding. But lots of luck trying to find a person's phone number...

adiantum

I'm sure its scammers & sales people that have people avoiding answering their phones.

The ease of cell phones has land lines becoming almost  obsolete.

I have a landline but allow all calls to go to voice mail & if I recognise the callers voice, I'll answer it then.

Most callers just hang up.

With you not receiving a call back suggests a phone call to her son at his workplace is the only way.

Orlando
9 hours ago, adiantum said:

R U OK? Day is an annual day in September (the second Thursday) dedicated to remind people to ask family, friends and colleagues the question, "R U OK?", in a meaningful way, because connecting regularly and meaningfully is one thing everyone can do to make a difference to anyone who might be struggling.

R U OK? is a not-for-profit suicide prevention organisation founded by Australian ad man Gavin Larkin in 2009 as a result of his participation in Landmark Worldwide's Self-Expression and Leadership Program, which requires attendees to create a community project.

R U OK? works collaboratively with experts in suicide prevention and mental illness, as well as government departments, corporate leaders, teachers, universities, students and community groups. Its activities also align with the Australian Government's LIFE Framework.

Gavin Larkin experienced the suicide of his father in 1995 resulting in the eventual co-creation with Janina Nearn of "R U OK?" in 2009.

The R U OK? tagline was brought about from extensive research proving that checking in with someone can really make a difference to their mental state. On the R U OK? website Gavin has said that, "Getting connected and staying connected is the best thing anyone can do for themselves and for those who may be at risk.

Sounds like a great idea.

I recently had a Shelia ask me RU OK ? and must admit that it a Bloke some good.

macksvicky

Such an excellent thing! You never know what's going on in someone's life and a simple "Are you OK?" could make a huge difference in someone's life.

adiantum

Red Cross has a service  called tellecross, whereby a volunteer rings someone on the rotating list each morning between 8 & 9am, just to be sure that theyre OK.

People living alone can be vulnerable , so with a doctors certificate they can be put on the list for a morning call.

Not everyone has family or doesnt want family to pester them.

Its a cheery call which gives comfort to the client.

The callers are not allowed to make after hours calls or to visit the client & are just given a name & ph #

If the client doesnt answer the first call  or the second, the caller  rings Red Cross & they get a contact person to call & check.

Each week I was given a new name & number to call. Its a great service.

Java

R  U OK? is a great idea

most of us live quite hectic lives and it's easy to assume (or hope) that everyone is ok but it definitely is a good thing to take the time to stop and ask

NoraWI

I have made calls like that to other older diabetics, some for years... every morning. One was on the west coast (I'm in the Midwest) and it got to be a problem for me to wait to do chores until after I had called her. We agreed that she should arrange that with someone local. It IS very important for some people that someone check on them. "Are you OK" is a question I have asked many times on line, too. Some of you younguns with kids in the house may not understand. You will.

adiantum

It was the same  time limitations that I gave up making those RU OK calls as it was before I had a cell phone so had to be home until after the call.

Since then theyve changed the system & volunteers have to call from  Red Cross's office in the city & thats too time & cost intensive.

They changed it after a couple of elderly public housing tenants were found dead  & had been that way for some weeks.

These days  with pension payments , electricty,phone etc all  automatically  coming & going through the bank, no one notices a build up of mail like it used to be.

Fraser

Are you ok? Is why I live in a city.  On a quite one way street . Now sometimes it is abit much, 

it is comforting That many on  street know enough about me to sense when things are not going well

my daughter lives near by too.  so it is about neighbors and friends and family. That is what keeps me on track. 

buddy7

Staying connected and having a meaningful conversation is something we can all do. You don’t need to be an expert, just a great mate and a good listener, so, if you notice someone who might be struggling, start the conversation by saying R U OK.

Strike up a significant conversation, encourage more people to ask the question R U OK? At your school, college, where young people are more vulnerable and at risk, of self-harm, at your place of work or within the community, especially the aged

Suicide is the leading cause of death among young people and occurs among men at a rate, three times greater than that for women.

For every death by suicide, it is estimated that as many as 30 people attempt to end their lives, that’s approximately 65,300 suicide attempts each year.

Are you aware 70 per cent who said that if a friend asked the same question would they be honest to say yes? They are. Or, will this, be one of those push-away answers to get rid of them?

buddy7
1 minute ago, buddy7 said:

Staying connected and having a meaningful conversation is something we can all do. You don’t need to be an expert, just a great mate and a good listener, so, if you notice someone who might be struggling, start the conversation by saying R U OK.

Strike up a significant conversation, encourage more people to ask the question R U OK? At your school, college, where young people are more vulnerable and at risk, of self-harm, at your place of work or within the community, especially the aged.

Suicide is the leading cause of death among young people and occurs among men at a rate, three times greater than that for women.

For every death by suicide, it is estimated that as many as 30 people attempt to end their lives, that’s approximately 65,300 suicide attempts each year.

Are you aware 70 per cent who said that if a friend asked the same question would they be honest to say yes? They are. Or, will this, be one of those push-away answers to get rid of them?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.