Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dragonusa

Is shrimp, crab and lobster safe to eat for DIABETES .

OneEye
2 hours ago, dragonusa said:

I'm Diabetes type 2......my cholesterol is 140.....Can I eat shrimp, crab and lobster ?

If I could afford it...that's all I'd eat.

A little rule of thumb to remember about food. It's either a fat, a protein or a carbohydrate. I.E. shrimp, good. Breaded shrimp in cocktail sauce that has sugar...maybe not.

ant hill

Yes fish of any kind as I like the sardiens from a can & have that with wasarbi a nice super low carb snack

Kit

Very similar to how I like to cook my shrimp.

I admit to being obsessed with this guy.  I like his style of cooking.  :)

meyery2k

I have a really simple but tasty way to prepare shrimp.  Heat butter in a pan, add shrimp, salt, pepper, garlic to taste.  There is this Vietnamese chili garlic sauce that I really like.  I stir in about a tablespoon of that.  Plate and squeeze a little lemon on the top of it.  Fast, simple, good...

download.jpg.a1669dddc48e804a6b60a62d1eab11ec.jpg

ant hill
On 10/3/2017 at 1:47 AM, Dave_KC said:

If they're not breaded, all of the above should be fine.  I enjoy all three, but rarely have lobster. 

There's a way around that!!!

Use Almond Flour, Pamasan Grated Cheese and a Spice that may be to your liking. Any how, i love Salmon.

Dave_KC
13 minutes ago, ant hill said:

There's a way around that!!!

Use Almond Flour, Pamasan Grated Cheese and a Spice that may be to your liking. Any how, i love Salmon.

True, but almost no restaurant or prepacked food will provide that.  You'll probably need egg or something like that to make it stick.  

don1942

Four dozen little neck clams in large skillet with a cup of sherry and several chopped cloves of garlic. Cover and bring to a boil until they open. Remove clams tnto a bowl, save some of the liquid for dipping and pour remaining liquid over clams.  

If you are willing to exceed daily carbs or can bolus a few units of insulin, sliced Italian bread tastes great when dipped into the liquid.

Kit

Add some butter to that liquid and I will be there in a second to join you. Very similar to how I love Manila clams, only I use white wine instead of sherry. 

LaRue

For breakfast this morning I diced up some leftover shrimp from yesterdays dinner, and scrambled a couple of eggs into it.

Yum.

stevenal

I'm guessing the OP is concerned about dietary cholesterol. According to the latest USA dietary guidelines, dietary cholesterol is not a "nutrient of concern",

http://www.cnn.com/2015/02/19/health/dietary-guidelines/index.html

The 140 is because your liver is doing its job, it is not from dietary cholesterol. And dietary cholesterol (without breading and sugared sauce) does not raise blood glucose.

Total cholesterol is meaningless. It includes HDL, which is the "good cholesterol."

LDL is almost as bad. It is not measured directly, but is calculated from other measurements. The first assumption is that your body follows this calculation. Then even if the calculated value is correct, it includes sub-fractions that do not promote atherosclerosis. And finally, the drug that best lowers LDL has not shown it reduces cardiovascular related deaths. https://www.forbes.com/sites/matthewherper/2017/03/17/amgen-drug-prevents-heart-attacks-not-deaths-disappointing-experts/.

So enjoy your shellfish and eggs, either separately or make a seafood omelet.

janice21475

Lee & Kit, Now I have to buy some shrimp to snack on while I  try all those delightful tips & tricks. Loved the Big Cherry/Straw  pit remover best. After watching all this I am starving. And that's a good thing.

Cheers,

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.