Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JohnSchroeder

This bothered me

JohnSchroeder

I came across this post and wanted to get others opinions.  It was posted to our Nextdoor website.  It is a T1 father is asking for $20,000 in the form of online donations to purchase a diabetic alert dog.  Feel free to click through to get more detail.

Daddy with Diabetes Fundraiser

Millions of Americans of all ages are affected by Type 1 Diabetes. But they do not have to face this crippling illness alone. With a Diabetic Alert Dog families can rest assured that their loved ones will be safe and looked after. Every little act of kindness is a life changing event. Be a leading example in your community by donating to Daddy with Diabetes. Your donations will go towards helping a family in need aquire one of these amazing service animals. Click the link below to make your contributions and give this family a chance for peace to live a long and healthy life. https://www.youcaring.com/kyleeberle-966590 After making your donation follow us on Facebook @ https://www.facebook.com/Daddy-with-Diabetes-1900770586855398/

---

I gave what I hoped was a reasoned response:

Have you used or considered using a continuous glucose monitor (CGM)? They cost much less and are generally covered by insurance. They will alert you when going high or low and can send alerts to your smartphone. The newest one actually communicates with a pump to stop the administration of insulin if you go below a preset threshold. And you never have to let it outside in the middle of the night. :)

JohnSchroeder

I'm not saying its a scam... it might be though, that is certainly possible.  What bothered me the most is phraseology like 'face this crippling disease alone' and 'be a leading example in your community'.  'give this family a chance for peace and to life a long and healthly life'

All total BS.  Get a CGM or tell us why it doesn't work for you.

Nora, what makes me think a scam is possible is the Facebook page.  It looks like it was created and filled with posts programmatically.  Virtually all the posts (and there are many) were created within minutes of each other just a few days ago.

Coravh
2 hours ago, JohnSchroeder said:

I'm not saying its a scam... it might be though, that is certainly possible.  What bothered me the most is phraseology like 'face this crippling disease alone' and 'be a leading example in your community'.  'give this family a chance for peace and to life a long and healthly life'

All total BS.  Get a CGM or tell us why it doesn't work for you.

Nora, what makes me think a scam is possible is the Facebook page.  It looks like it was created and filled with posts programmatically.  Virtually all the posts (and there are many) were created within minutes of each other just a few days ago.

There are exceptions, but from what I've sees, the DADs (diabetic alert dogs) are more for the peace of mind of the parents. Helicopter much? I went to summer camp with tons of kids and all we had were R and Nph and none of us ever died from a low while running around (sometimes unsupervised) with those incredibly peaky insulins.

Now some people cannot feel lows properly with the rDNA insulins and in those cases, a DAD is an excellent thing. But for the most part, for kids who are still hypo aware, it's a pacifier for the parents.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.