Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

don1942

Fiasp insulin

don1942

Fiasp is a new faster acting insulin approved by the FDA on September 29. It is manufactured by the same company as Novalog and apparently will be sold at the same price as Novalog. I mentioned this to my Endocrinologist on Monday but he was not aware of it so he looked it up and found out that it starts working in five minutes iInstead of 15 minutes for Novalog and lasts for 3.5 hours instead of 3 hours for Novalog.

The doc said he will be talking to the Novalog rep in a few days and will ask him for some samples which he will give me to try in my pump to test to see if it is more effective than Novalog.

William V

Got it last month n love it so far. My body was getting used to the old NovoLog in my pump. I can keep my post meal peak considerably flatter now. 

NoraWI

Going to ask about it today. Last appointment in August, my CDE told me about it but, unhappily it was not yet FDA approved at that time. This will be a tremendous help with mealtime bolus.

GrammaBear

William - Did you have to change your pump settings a whole lot because of the new insulin?

And how did your pump respond to it?  Did you have any occlusions because the insulin acts

differently?

don1942

I called Medtronic yesterday and was advised that Medtronic has yet to test its pumps with Fiasp. 

Good to hear that William is having good results.

William V

I backed off my basal rates slightly  just to be safe but I could've probably left it the same. It's only initially with the bolus that i had to be little more watchful because it is faster action is different enough that over bolusing does cause you to go critically low faster than the old insulin.

Here in Canada fiasp is approved  for use in  pumps. It's approval was about five or six months after injectable insulin version was approved.

Overall there is very little change in my pump settings. Only  slight change in schedule for the morning basal changeover to the daytime basal. Other than that it is back to pre fiasp settings now.  It's been about 6 weeks.

Overall I'm very pleased with this new insulin.   how similar the dosing is to my novorapid  and how my post meal glucose spike has mostly flattened. 

William V
14 hours ago, GrammaBear said:

And how did your pump respond to it?  Did you have any occlusions because the insulin acts

differently?

The 630 pumps no different. Occlussions? None.  Had a leak at one of my infusion sites.  For me what was unusual is  consistently bleeding a drop of blood at each time the infusion site was removed. I never had it before.  

Basically the insulin is the same as the novorapid/NovoLog insulin but with added vitamin B(?) for a better absorption. 

NoraWI

Fiasp has added B3 for faster action. I called my CDE to ask about trying it. She was gone Friday and will respond on Monday.

William V

One disappointing item is it takes more fiasp for bolus due to insulin resistance (?). I use about 25% more with fiasp. I have to make more corrections on the tail end. It appears to be a trade off. More effectiveness early on and less on the end which results in more correction doses. Curious if it will make up with a lower A1c. For those paying their own way it would mean more overall $. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.