Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chrissie B

High anti gad bodies 6yr old son

Chrissie B

Hi,

My husband is type1 and has been on insulin for 14 yrs. Our 6 yr old has been having odd readings eg. 60, 158 ,160 which led us to visit our endo.

Initial gad antibody test jul'17 : 856.9

C peptide : 2.96 (normal range .78 - 5.19)

Glocose tol. Test : fasting 84 , 1hr 105, 2hr 60

A1c : 5.6

Oct'17

Anti gad antibodies : 370.5

A1c : 5.4

I am awaiting results on islet cells. 

Any advice on how these results should be interpreted would be greatly appreciated. 

Our endo says it's a grey area and is just as confused as we are.

NoraWI

My non-professional opinion is that your son has an autoimmune attack going on against his beta cells. The c-peptide is still in the normal range because he still has enough beta cells providing almost adequate insulin. I say almost because he has had some high readings that exceed normal. His GAD antibody results are very high. Don't know why your endo is confused. I don't see any gray area. The high antibodies tell the story.

Chrissie B

Is the high antigad antibody an indicator that he is on track for t1?

His sugar levels are on track for now and are always within normal.

How much time before he shows more symptoms of type1? I guess it's a waiting game for now.

NoraWI

Yes, GAD antibodies (plus some other antibodies as well) are definitive for T1. The time it takes to actually show up in his post prandial numbers and his A1c will vary, depending upon his body's ability to fight back. I suspect that those diagnosed with LADA (a late onset T1) have been fighting the autoimmune attack for years. My conclusion is not based upon any scientific studies. In my unprofessional opinion, the preservation of beta function for as long as possible is a realistic goal at this time since he has been caught in the beginning stages and has not progressed into full T1 and lost all his beta cell function. If your endo is slow on this issue, you might consult with another endo. Childhood T1 seems to be more virulent than it is later on. Maybe there are steps you can take to slow down its development.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.