Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

crashandburn

Need help finding a new pump/company

crashandburn

I have been a animas supporter for many years now and my pump has been out of warranty for about a year or so, I prefer a pump similar to Animas model. I had Medtronic before and their supplies are very expensive as my insurance doesn't seem to cover much or they charge a lot more then animas ever charged me... I have a 80%/20% insurance with my insurance covering the 80% and I'm looking for a similar pump to animas that has cost effective supplies, with animas I paid out of pocket around $100-$120 for 3 months of supplies which is 4 boxes of cartidges and infusion sets

Any help or advice would be much appreciated....

NoraWI

I commiserate with you. I've been happily pumping with the Animas Ping since 2010 and got a new one only one year ago. I am on Medicare and they stipulate a 5-year warranty which Animas honored. My new pump warranty is supposed to last until 2021. I assume I am in the group that Medtronics wants to shift to a 630g at no extra cost. I considered Medtronics when I looked at pumps initially but liked features that the Ping had and was really impressed with the fact that the Animas regional manager drove out into the boonies to talk to me and give me a demonstration. Animas Customer Service also had a much better reputation. I have friends who got the T-slim recently. Have you looked at the T-slim? I am not sure what my options are with Medicare. Am waiting to hear from them. But, anyway, Animas will sell supplies until the end of this year. After that and until end of September of 2018, Medtronics will sell Animas supplies. After that we are on our own if we don't switch pumps.

crashandburn

So I contacted both Tandem and Medtronic, Medtronic customer service seemed to be very impatient and kept saying we have to call you back and we will have to check another time, and then eventually they ended up saying my insurance would only cover a portion which is odd considering I have 80/20 insurance and they were saying it wouldn't be covered 80%, so I later called back after verifying with my insurance and my insurance said it would work with 80% covered so I called back Medtronic and they simply would not budge with what they had previously said, they wanted to charge me over 1000 for a pump and like 200-300 for 3 months of supplies. So I then called Tandem, which I ended up getting put onto a 2nd provider called Edgepark, so I called them and they verified my insurance and said I would be covered 80% for my stuff and have a 20% copay, 3 months of supplies would be like $97 and the pump would be $800 and they would give me a payment plan and make sure to work with me, I also asked them about test strips for my one touch and they mentioned they sold 50 ct bottles for $5 each which considering how much I see them going for is an amazing deal, so I would definitely have to say I am going with the Tandem pump, I am truly excited by their deep and compassionate customer service and their willingness to help me get a new pump at a decent price.

NoraWI

I am on Medicare plus a supplemental insurance plan. Medicare has informed me that when an equipment manufacturer goes out of business, patients are told to just go through the requalifying process with their health professional and select any pump or other equipment I want. What I elect to do is procrastinate on that selection and continue with my Animas Ping for as long as I can get supplies, which I am assured will be until 2019 (through Medtronics). I don't like Medtronics as a company. Their track record in customer service has not impressed me over the years. I feel that the next 2 years will bring new and better products to the market and I will make up my mind during that time.

I know that you are younger and not on Medicare and costs on this sort of thing are prohibitive. I hope you take your time considering the pump alternatives available out there. Don't let anyone rush you into a decision that you will be sorry about.

crashandburn

Yes I talked to both on the phone for over an hour and tandem seems like a reliable but very customer friendly company that will help you the best they can, I don't think the same can be said about medtronic

NoraWI

That was my conclusion 8 years ago when I decided on the Animas Ping. And look where we are today. Medtronics is a very aggressive corporation that likes to put all competition OUT of competition. Look what they did to Cozmo which many still remember fondly.

OneEye

.Pumps are pumps. Used to run a high-flow pump on my race car. Always "the" problem. Manufactures think they have this thing "in the bag". Kinda doubt it!

GrammaBear
On 11/3/2017 at 2:10 PM, crashandburn said:

Yes I talked to both on the phone for over an hour and tandem seems like a reliable but very customer friendly company that will help you the best they can, I don't think the same can be said about medtronic

I have been using Tandem for 2+ years and every time I've needed a question answered, their customer service provides the answer in a timely fashion even on weekends.  Prior to using Tandem Tslim, I used Medtronic for 5+ years and sometimes their customer service made you wait for a really long time on the phone.  They are having trouble right now providing supplies for their patients, but in their defense the country of Puerto Rico was hard hit by the hurricane.  Medtronic's factory must have been heavily damaged thus impacting their ability to provide supplies.  Hope you like Tandem as much as I do.

don1942

Granted, Medtronic is encountering difficulties regarding the destruction of their PR manufacturing facility; however, having to be put on hold for 20 minutes plus to find out that my sensors are still on back order is bit rediculuous. Seven years ago when I first got my Medtronic Reverl, and customer service was great. Six months ago when I was having an issue with my new 630G at 1 AM,  I waited about 20 minutes before getting a live agent only to be advised that she was not that familiar with the 630 G and that I should call back in the morning.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.