Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FunDad62

Plant-Based Whole-Food Eating discussion

FunDad62

I know me and I couldn't give up meat completely forever.  I've never been a sweets person.  I loved fatty foods.  I'm thinking about just incorporating things and see how it affects everything.  Maybe stop eating read meat for awhile, then all meat for awhile.  Or maybe alternate days.  I need to get back to juicing once a day too. Everything in moderation, right?

Kit

Don't forget to keep a log of what you're eating now you react. If I remember right, your morning fastings were really high when you were juicing last time. 

Have you considered just eating the vegetables? That way you're not just throwing away the fiber and other benefits. 

Carol_42
23 hours ago, FunDad62 said:

If that's how it came across that wasn't my intent.  I'm not arguing or trying to convince anyone.  I was just interested in feedback so I can make decisions.  I'm just repeating what they say about plant-based eating.  Doesn't mean I'm completely convinced.

It's good that you are trying to cover all bases by doing open-minded research about heart disease and diabetes, FunDad.  But I feel if you listen to your body, your body will find the answers for you.  Whatever you've been doing hasn't been working, right?  And I think you know it has to do with what you are eating. 

Eat to your meter!  Listen to your body!  How many times do we hear this at this forum?!  I mean it's like legacy in the making for every member of this group.  As for heart disease ... I don't know.  Maybe you need medication to manage that ... along with diet and exercise.

Finding a healthy balance in diet can be a big pain in the rump.  But it can also be fun and challenging.  And it can be both at the same time when combined with an exercise plan that fits your whole self.  And that is a big ouch 2 me because I don't exercise enough.  And I haven't lost anymore weight since the 20 lbs. I lost after starting Keto in February of this year.   So you see, what I'm saying to you, I'm throwing right back at myself.  I am guilty of neglecting myself, too.

It really goes back to the beginning of when you first decided to watch what you ate, FunDad.  What did you do?  You kept track of the macronutrients in everything! you ate.  You eliminated the foods that spiked you.  You tested your FBG every morning and did postprandial readings 2-3 hours after meals.  You got into a routine and it was working.  Then as time went on, you got bored and slacked off.  Right?  Please ... just remember this ...

You are loved by people in this group who believe in you, FunDad.  Keep on asking for feedback.  We (people) really do need each other.  Hugs,

Carol

meyery2k

Like many things in the American diet, we probably eat too much meat (protein) in general.  If I indulge in a really large steak I will see an increase in my fasting reading the next morning just as surely as if I have a dessert.

What works for me is to have breakfast meat (2-4 oz), protein at lunch (3-5 oz of chicken, pork, or beef OR up to 8 oz. fish), and dinner is no meat.  That seems to yield relatively stable BG for me throughout the day.

I don't get hung up on fat anymore.  I have to eat something and fat keeps me going.  All of the metrics we have available would point to this being a successful regimen for me.

FunDad62

When I lost the 40 pounds in 2015 I did it by cutting out white flour products and eating healthy.  Meat, veggies, low carb desserts.  No sauces, dressings, butter, etc.  In addition I walked EVERY day without fail (unless it was storming out).  I plateaued after 5 months I started running and did four 5k's; some running some walking.  Never lost any more weight but I continued this for another year and managed to keep 30-35 of it off.  Then work got more stressful than it had ever been, I moved out from living with my kids, had a hurricane, a break up, and my dad getting sick all within a couple of months.  I also did my walking in the afternoons and the time changed about then so it was always dark when I got home.  I know that stuff is just life and we all have to deal with it, but those things de-motivated me from walking and here I am today.

It's easy to see what affect eating is having on your sugar.  Use a meter.  Not easy to see what affect it's having on your arteries and heart.  I had a very through (nuclear with scan and treadmill) stress test last Thursday and they let me go home so I assume it was positive results.  Still waiting to hear from my cardiologist after he gets the results.

meyery2k

FunDad - Please understand I am not trying to be smart-mouthed.  This is my real thinking lol...

What you say has merit but many comedians have a skit that goes something like this:

"So you say you don't drink, smoke, eat fat, eat meat, you do this, you don't do that.  You are going to feel silly being in the hospital at 90 dying from nothing."

Something is going to kill us.  That can be a very depressing thought.  We can do everything right and we will still die one day.  Yes, we should do the things that can allow for as long a life with good quality as possible but, if we didn't enjoy some of the journey, what would be the point?

Diabetes does place some limitations on us which other health problems can then compound.  I know you can find your path again as you have done it before.  Life has this way of putting forks in the road and not offering many signs.  You should be concerned with health since, as we have discovered, it is a fragile thing.  We should not, however, stress over it to the point of unhappiness.

Many of us have found that moderation of all things offered the best results rather than cutting out things left and right.  I am a carnivore.  I love to eat meat but I now eat much less of it and feel much better.  I would not want to completely give it up even if "they" said it was good for me to do so.

Of course, the opposite side of this coin is that what works for me might not work for someone else.  They might feel the same way about being vegan and they find their way along that path.

You have been here a long time and know we speak from our hearts.  I am glad to see you are posting again.  You have had a lot going on this year and I can imagine it being a very stressful time right now. ~ Mike

FunDad62
18 hours ago, meyery2k said:

You have been here a long time and know we speak from our hearts.  I am glad to see you are posting again.  You have had a lot going on this year and I can imagine it being a very stressful time right now. ~ Mike

Thanks for the perspective Mike.  You are right.  I do worry about it too much.

Carol_42
2 hours ago, FunDad62 said:

Thanks for the perspective Mike.  You are right.  I do worry about it too much.

Yes, you have! been over-challenged this year, FunDad, and I feel for you.  I know what it's like to feel choked and drowning all at the same time, with no up.  But seriously, taking charge of health concerns really is a "one day at a time" effort.  It's about taking charge today, and not tomorrow: but, today.  Today is the beginning of the rest of our lives.  And where there is life, there is hope.  Please forgive me if I have come across as a tad strong.  I just care about you.  That's all.

Hang in there and fight the fight.  Hugs,

Carol (CB)

jwags

I may have a different perspective than a lot of people here. I did a LC paleo type diet for 9+years.

I was eating under 40 carbs a day and consuming lots of meat. I was never able to get my bgs much under 100 and my HbA1 c stayed in the high 6's. In the spring of 2015 I got very sick and eventually was dx'd with cancer. For cancer prevention they now recommend a mostly plant based diet. So I did switch. I still eat a few non vegan things like butter and Hydrolyzed Collagen but I have stuck to the diet for the last 17 months and I do feel a lot better, inspite of my cancer, all of  my bloodwork is excellent. SInce giving up most dairy my GI problems have completely disappeared. I get so many compliments now on my skin and my immune system is now strong. A vegan diet is not for everyone, but it works for me. My HbA1 c is now 6, eating more carbs.

winters031
On 10/25/2017 at 9:36 AM, FunDad62 said:

I keep hearing carbs are not the enemy of diabetes and sugar does not and never has caused diabetes.  It's fat that prevents insulin from processing them.  So it makes sense to me to eat low fat.  But I know LCHF works too.  So which is right?

I've heard some people say that sugar does not 'cause' diabetes, but the same people who say that also say that you should limit the amount of sugar in your diet.

I think it's a matter of definition. Sugar does not 'cause' diabetes, in the sense that there are many healthy individuals who eat large amounts of sugar and do not get diabetes, while some do. However, every extra gram of sugar consumed (and carbs to a lesser extent) makes diabetes more likely.

So in the end, there's no difference: Watch your sugar and carb intake.

Kapil

I am a lacto vegetarian (some dairy: cheese and yogurt, no eggs). Have always been vegetarian with some years vegan in between.

I have gone though the same dilemma of LCHF diet v/s high carb low fat diet. It does seem easier to be on the high carb as a vegetarian and little more difficult with LCHF.

So far I have been on LCHF diet and have good success with it.

My A1c has dropped from 14.4 to 5.5-5.7 over 6 months (I do have to take basal insulin though and very likely am still in honeymoon phase)

My understanding is this:

For a Type 2, its usually insulin resistance that is a problem. And according to some Doctors its the fat thats preventing insulin absorption so a low fat diet should help. (Mcdougall, Bernard etc). I have 2 friends who are type 2 diagnosed around the same time as me and they have had success with these diets.

While carbs spike BG the implication is that once you get rid of insulin resistance your body will be able to deal with the high carbs (its already producing a lot of insulin) and that they say is really curing diabetes as opposed to just managing it.

For a Type 1 (like me) there is little to no insulin. So while I can improve insulin resistance I would still have to take insulin and continuously manage my BG. Hence while I would so love to be on high carb (Whole plant) the higher carbs will necessarily need higher insulin which then has a higher risk of lower lows or higher highs.

And yes, while everyone can experiment with both diets (or stick with the first one that works), if there are first hand examples of folks who have tried both, those results would be useful to a lot of us, I understand that where FunDad is coming from.

Gladtobehere
On 2017-10-27 at 9:00 PM, carfree said:

(your body will burn the carbs first, leaving the fat hanging around)

The problem occurs when you DON'T burn the carbs.  The body stores the quick energy as fat.  That is why the exercise component is so important. Reducing carbs gives you a better chance of burning them and leaving less for storage.

Any diabetic who has experienced a mild low and had some juice to fix the low can probably tell you how quickly you feel better.  Sometimes I am amazed how fast the liquid sugar is metabolized.

Carbs are absorbed in the first 30 cm of the intestine.  That is why many Diabetics see reduced syptoms after gastric surgery that bypasses the first portion of the intestine.

I know the processes are far more complex but I'm not a doctor and a simple explanation seems best.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.