Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kit

Recommendations for macadamia nut butter brand?

Kit

I am building a fat bomb recipe in my head that uses macadamia nut butter.

I have never actually tried macadamia nut butter.  Anyone out there with experience who might have a recommended brand?  The stuff is expensive enough that I'd like to avoid trial and error in my ordering (haven't found the stuff local).  Anyone have recommendations on where you can get good prices?

dowling gram

I'd buy the nuts and make my own butter in a coffee or nut grinder to get the best nut butter. I consider my nut grinder as money well spent. I make my own almond flour and almond, pecan and walnut butters

Why macadamias and not a more readily available nut. I had never tried macadamias until recently and was sorely disappointed at the taste and they're hard enough to crack your teeth which is not good for someone with dentures

meyery2k

Kit - Can't speak on the butter but I have come to LOVE macadamia nut oil.  It might prove to make some interesting fat bombs.

Kit

Actually I find macadamia nuts quite soft for nuts on general. Certainly more so than almonds. 

I chose it because I don't like almond butter (though I love almonds), peanut butter has too strong a flavor for what I want to do, macadamia nuts have a preferable macro profile to what I want, and supposedly the butter has a more mild flavor which I also want.

I have no desire to grind my own. Partly because I have a small kitchen with no space for yet another gadget, but also partly because the quality of macadamia nuts I can get locally are heavily salted and poor flavor. (thank you @meyery2k for soiling me. )  I'd still have to order the nuts online. 

Most of the butters I have looked at online only contain 1 ingredient, so it's not like buying it will include extra unwanted things. 

meyery2k

@dowling gram - I wonder if you got a batch of stale ones?  They are not as hard as almonds but harder than walnuts.  They do go stale quite quickly (at least that is what I have found).  Another thing is that there seems to be a trend to heavily salt them when just a little bit will do.

Please understand that, as  a Hawaii resident, I HAVE to be an ambassador of the macadamia nut lol...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.