Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rob43

News, Newly identified third type of diabetes is being wrongly diagnosed as type 2

Kit

Good to hear that this is finally being recognized. I know we've heard from a few of this type here being treated like average T2s by the medical professionals. 

I also wonder about myself. I fought with chronic pancreatitis for at least five years and about 15 years before I was diagnosed diabetic.  But then I  also do pretty well with my current treatment plan, though it's not the one most medical professionals recommend for a T2. So who knows. 

I'm curious how they would diagnose this type. 

dowling gram

I'm curious how they would diagnose this type. 

So am I. The article didn't say how they found so many people had type 3 or what test they used to determine who was type 3. I know it doesn't apply to me because I've never had any pancreatic damage but for those who have had damage it would be nice to know how they determined the diagnoses.

NoraWI

I would venture to say that most of those misdiagnosed as T2s was due to the fact that they were older and the health profession was/is taught that anyone older has to be T2 because they can't have "juvenile diabetes." But we already know that is a misnomer. There are many who have autoimmune diabetes who don't come down with it until later in life. We have always known that there are more types of DM than the 2 most common ones, although the T3 label has previously been placed on Alzheimer's. There are some on these Forums who are diabetic due to pancreatic infections, surgical damage or through use of steroids or statins. Diabetes is a symptom. To lump all those with a similar symptom into one disease is a short-sighted mistake. It is like saying that all those with a headache have a brain tumor. Not!

meyery2k

@NoraWI - Great response.  Yes, diabetes is a clinical description of a symptom and not a disease outright.  I think that sometimes creates confusion at times.

I am clearly insulin resistant for some reason which, I suppose, would be the disease.  Diabetes presents itself as a symptom when I fail to maintain a regimen that recognizes the insulin resistance (at least for now).

I am sure this is no epiphany to many here but while running last night I was having my thoughts and wondered about how having all that excess insulin in me 24/7 couldn't be good and might have been partially responsible for obesity and other things going on.  I realized that if I was constantly running 200-400 my body would be swamped with insulin to process that and I would just add fuel to the fire by eating more carbs (glucose).

It amazed me how quickly things turned around and how much easier it was to lose weight, exercise, work, and live actively once I had my A1C below 6.  I swear it was almost as good as hitting a reset button and getting a bit of a do-over on life.

I took one of those Real Age tests when I was first diagnosed and it scored me at 57 or something like that.  I recently took it again and scored at 47.  In my mind, I am 26 lol...

janice21475

I'm with you on the '26.' Sadly, it is getting more difficult to maintain the illusion. In 2 months I will hit 74! Yikes. I may look up those 'real age' tests just for fun.

Personally, I think you are closer to 36. Too mature in your thinking to be 26. Grin!!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.