Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ChadBeasley

New pharmacy

ChadBeasley

Hello!!

I want to open a pharmacy. 
Tell me to leave in the range of sweets, cosmetics, skin care products, diapers, magazines, jewelry, toys and cigarettes or only
medications?

NoraWI

Yes, you do need a business plan. However, the first thing you need to determine is whether your neighborhood needs a pharmacy. Are you a pharmacist? Do you have the capital required? Have you considered free-lancing first on a per-need basis to get an overview of other pharmacies? I have an acquaintance who filled in for pharmacists (a pharmacy has to have a pharmacist on the premises in order to fill prescriptions) who needed to be absent for a day or a week. She was so successful that she expanded by hiring other pharmacists to fill in on a daily basis. Lots of money in doing that and no investment. Of course, one has to have the degree.

adiantum

30years ago I used to buy my cigarettes at the  local pharmacy because they were the cheapest in town.

This same pharmacy is having troubles in keeping up with the cut priced items offered by the pharma franchisers 

NoraWI

Canada is ahead of its time. I remember magazine and TV ads that featured doctors telling people to smoke such and such brand of cigarettes. Today the only thing that seems not to be allowed in advertising is cigarettes. Everything else is fair game, especially prescription pharmaceuticals. The whole point being to get people to nag their doctors for particular brands of prescription drugs. The entire American population is being brainwashed to be hypochondriacs.

carfree

Yep, Pharmacies do sell cigarettes in then U.S.  CVS voluntarily decided not to sell cigarettes a few years ago.  Walgreens definitely sells cigarettes in my area.  There are a few municipalities that do not allow pharmacies to sell cigarettes, but there have been lawsuits regarding some of these. 

One stop shopping for your smokes and emphysema meds.

dowling gram

One stop shopping for your smokes and emphysema meds.

•  

That is precisely why Canada decided that pharmacies shouldn't sell cigarettes. Every other health care facility was saying no smoking. It only made sense that pharmacies as part of the health care system shouldn't promote the habit. Really there is not that much profit in it for the seller and there wasn't anyone who made a peep about the new law that came in about 5 years ago.

adiantum

Here, cigarettes are not to be advertised . brand images have been replaced with graphic images of smoking related diseases.

No longer are the shelves of different brands visible  having  been  disguised behind  solid metal doors.

dowling gram
5 hours ago, adiantum said:

Here, cigarettes are not to be advertised . brand images have been replaced with graphic images of smoking related diseases.

No longer are the shelves of different brands visible  having  been  disguised behind  solid metal doors.

Here too but it doesn't stop too many people from smoking or some young people from starting. In my opinion whatever governments do it will not change some people. Wanting to quit and sticking it out is the only motivator that really works

NoraWI

Cigarette smoking as an addiction goes beyond the physical need for nicotine. My husband had smoked since he was a teenager (when it was even promoted for pregnant women!). He had a pituitary tumor removed almost 30 years ago and hung by a thread through several additional surgeries and a total of 3 months in hospital, followed by another 4 months in rehab. He was blind and had many other deficits. One morning, I was returning from a brief errand when I saw him crossing the park next to where we lived. I caught up with him and asked him where he was going. He told me he was going to the grocery store on the other side of the park. Why? To get cigarettes! That was 7 months after he'd had his last cigarette. So the addiction is more than chemical. The cigarette addiction is also one of physical habit and emotional dependency. Very complex! But I am digressing far from pharmacies selling cigarettes!

GrammaBear

Walgreen's sells cigarettes in my area only they are right next to the register and supposedly the person selling them is required to ask for a driver's license to verify the age of the person buying the cigarettes.  But I have yet to ever see the person buying asked to provide this information.  No one cares as long as they hand over the money required.

adiantum

Thats pretty bad GrammaBear that they are even visable.

Yesterday I bought some probiotics  that had been reduced 50% because of the low use by date.

It was the pharmacist that recommended them when dispensing my anti biotics & said 30th Nov would be long enough .

They had a basket full at the checkout . I just took his word for it but when I got home I noticed the use by date was 2019.

I rang them to check the other bottles, but didnt offer to pay the other $10 . Their loss couldve been a lot greater without me telling them.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.