Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

apostasy

Fasting for better BG Numbers

apostasy

Anyone else have success with short-term fasting to reset your #s?  Over the last couple months my #s were getting to the point where I can no longer get below 140 after a meal. Most #s 2 hours after a meal would be 160-180 and 150-160 first thing in the morning.  I've been reading about fasting and it's benefits, so I tried some intermittent fasting for the last 2 weeks, but probably only getting a full 16-hour fast (under the 16:8 schedule) only 2-3 days.  So Friday night I decided I would try a short-term fast and only ate some veggies ~ 8:00 pm and then didn't break my fast until 6:00 the next day.  My morning number this was 102 and after having a large apple and peanut better for breakfast it was only 121!

Just wanted to pass along this success if it could be helpful to anyone else.  There were a few times when I was hungry, but it passed after 5-10 minutes and I was able to study, play tennis, drive and read the above book while fasting.  I would have continued fasting longer but I'm actually underweight (17.9 BMI) and after fasting beyond 24-36 (according to The Complete Guide to Fasting, Jason Fung) will lead the body to start breaking down fat, which I don't have much of. My plan this time was (and probably in future fasts will be) to fast until my #s are in 70-100 range, ideally in the 70s. 

meyery2k

There have been several posters that have reported success with intermittent fasting.

It might be interesting to see, assuming you eat these things, what your BG would be with a LCHF breakfast after the fasting.

While I don't IF, I do notice significantly better morning numbers if I eat a small dinner and limit protein.  Basically a salad with dressing, some cheese, and maybe some nuts or tofu.

Kit

There are av few others here who practice intermittent fasting.  @Orlando is one.  I forget who the others are.

I've tried it myself and have not had very good results.  I tend to liver dump like crazy.  My numbers are usually below 100, once in a while might pop up just above 100.  With IF, I was jumping into the 120s and 130, my mood was awful, and I dreamed of things like beating people to death with a baseball bat until you could no longer hear the crack of breaking bones but were down to just the squish of pulverized flesh.

I finally gave up on the subject.

My current diet is LCHF (low cartb high fat) or ketogenic.  I get great numbers with it and my mood is stable, so I stick with what works.  :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.