Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dave_KC

Giordano's Pizza

Dave_KC

Today I went with the family to the classic Chicago pizza place Giordano's...  in Minneapolis.  Incredible inch think deep dish pizza.  Being diabetic, this could be a disaster, but I did some research, and the 50+ grams of carbs per piece, according to what i could find was 10 if you avoided the crust.  So, I ate all of the incredible stuff in the pizza, but not the crust.  Three hours later I tested (we're an hour out at my sister's house and we took a good 45 minute walk around a lake in Minneapolis) I did my test and it was....   95!  I call that an incredible victory.  

23915961_10213151538277205_8948586175664

Fraser

It could be victory, but what happened to you BG in those three hours, your current reading 

could it be a reactive low, sorry, but without a continuous monitor spot checks don't mean much. Plus add in a walk mmmm

Fraser

Dave_KC

I have no idea, but I know at that point I tested it was a very good level, and I know that my numbers as a whole have run good and my A1c, without meds for the last three months is 5.0.  

I'm very much for eating to my meter, but it becomes quite impractical to constantly test every 5 minutes when busy with life.  My overall numbers tell me that likely I'm fine.  And I'll probably check here shortly to see my evening numbers. 

Dave_KC

And my end of the day number, after my sister's taco salad, with meat, lettuce, cheese sour cream tomatoes and salsa, and chomping on a few almonds is 95.  I'd say overall a good, yummy day. 

NoraWI

Congratulations on a good, yummy day! I remember Giordano's Pizza with delight. Daughter sent some out for her father's birthday several years in a row a few years back. They arrived in excellent frozen shape and were thoroughly enjoyed. Avoid the crust, and the inch and a half deep filling is nothing more than lots of cheese and your choice of veggies and/or meats. Kind of like a quiche. Lots of fats, mostly good. Unfortunately, I am a crust lover and find it hard to leave the crust on the plate. Gratefully, daughter has ceased sending out the pizzas in recent years.

Fraser

Sorry Dave did not mean to offend you.  You are doing very well as I am with the same A1c range no meds for 7 years.   But I do monitor after each meal, to check for spikes.  Especially after eating at a restaurant with many unknowns. Even a great A1c is not an indicator of how one controls spikes. 

Fraser

macksvicky

That pizza looks fabulous! Toppings that you can really fill up on :) I've found that after eating just the toppings, your body/taste buds don't even realize that you didn't eat the crust :)

Dave_KC
12 hours ago, Fraser said:

Sorry Dave did not mean to offend you.  You are doing very well as I am with the same A1c range no meds for 7 years.   But I do monitor after each meal, to check for spikes.  Especially after eating at a restaurant with many unknowns. Even a great A1c is not an indicator of how one controls spikes. 

Fraser

I get it and my point is that after a reasonable period, my number was good.  Honestly I was based an hour away, and with a lot of family, so it was very hard to test at the time.  I'm very pleased with the result of 95, which means my body took care of whatever amount I took in.  How far it spiked, I obviously don't know for sure, but I suspect it wasn't too high.  I was careful to avoid the crust and that's where most of the carbs were based on my research.

I know a few months back I let myself go too much on some movie theater popcorn, and hit in the 150 range, so I know that if I'm not careful it can spike.  

The other factor regarding Giordano's pizza...  it's in Minneapolis, and most famously Chicago.  I haven't been back to Chicago since 1990, and I've been to Giordano's once a year, for the last two years, in Minneapolis.  I'm much more likely to deal with Pizza Hut or Minsky's in Kansas City where I live.  Like a lot of things, I made my best guest based on the information I could go with.  Overall, I'm pleased with the number.  

Kit

Dave, you did great.  You researched a head of time so you could make good decisions while you were there and it paid off in the numbers you had for the rest of the day.

Back when I was in collage I spent some time at a friend's where I got to try real Chicago deep dish pizza (she lived in Chicago).  I remember absolutely adoring the crust.  Happily enough, looking at your pic, its not so appealing anymore.  The rest of it though it still very appealing.  :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.