Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

don1942

How to avoid low after high carb meal

don1942

This morning I decided to splerge and hav half a cinnamon raisin beagle (32 carbs),1/2 glass of oj (10 carbs), and small pastry (12 carbs) for a total of 54 carbs which I entered into my Medtronic 630 G.  Four hours later, my BGs hit 232.  I decided not to do anything and 7 hours later, my BGs were down to 79. 

Is there any way to avoid the 232 high without incurring a low 7 Hours later.

Fraser

The answer is pretty much no.  When you eat such a high carb item. In most t2 there is a lag in insulin production when you over load it with high long active carbs it is pumping out insulin to catch up with the high carb load.  Now in normal person insulin production woukd respond quickly and shut off when no longer need. In a t2 there is a lag to start and stop the production of insulin so that results in the suppression of your glucose level in the end

I have tried with a bagel, (omg). With similar results as you. 

It is called a reactive low.  

NoraWI
1 hour ago, don1942 said:

This morning I decided to splerge and hav half a cinnamon raisin beagle (32 carbs),1/2 glass of oj (10 carbs), and small pastry (12 carbs) for a total of 54 carbs which I entered into my Medtronic 630 G.  Four hours later, my BGs hit 232.  I decided not to do anything and 7 hours later, my BGs were down to 79. 

Is there any way to avoid the 232 high without incurring a low 7 Hours later.

Serves you right for eating a beagle! :wub:

That 79 was definitely NOT a low!

Fraser

Yea eating a Bagel was a wish,  oh well 

FYI bagels are one of the worst foods for a diabetic to eat. It is basically a big lump of high carb flour

I won't try that again 

don1942
23 hours ago, NoraWI said:

Serves you right for eating a beagle! :wub:

That 79 was definitely NOT a low!

The 79 was not that low but my eyesight starts to get blurry when I go below 80. Anyway, what I should have said was that had I entered a bolus correction when I reached the 232 four hours later, I probably would have suffered with a severe hypoglycemic condition.

GrammaBear
On 11/30/2017 at 7:29 PM, don1942 said:

The 79 was not that low but my eyesight starts to get blurry when I go below 80. Anyway, what I should have said was that had I entered a bolus correction when I reached the 232 four hours later, I probably would have suffered with a severe hypoglycemic condition.

The same thing happens to me when my bg gets to around 73.  I have been foolish enough to enjoy a 'half' of a choc chip bagel with insulin taken 30 minutes prior to eating.  The bagel tasted delicious BUT the high blood glucose was just not worth the grief afterwards.  I do wish someone would invent a bagel made from almond flour.......wishful thinking on my part I suspect.

samuraiguy
Keto Low Carb Bagels Recipe with Fathead Dough – Gluten Free
Servings Prep Time
6bagels 15minutes
Cook Time
12minutes
Ingredients

Instructions
  1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
  2. Stir together the almond flour and baking powder. Set aside.
  3. Combine the shredded mozzarella and cubed cream cheese in a large bowl. Microwave for 2 minutes, stirring halfway through. Stir again at the end until well incorporated. (If you don’t want to use the microwave, heat the cheeses in a double broiler on the stove over low heat, stirring frequently, until completely melted and easy to stir.)
  4. Stir the flour mixture and eggs into the melted cheese mixture. Working quickly while the cheese is still hot, knead with your hands until a dough forms. The dough will be very sticky, but keep kneading and squeezing through your fingers for a few minutes. If the dough becomes hard before fully mixed, is too difficult to mix, or is still sticky after a couple minutes, you can microwave/reheat for 15-20 seconds to soften it. In that case, wash your hands and knead again.

NOTE: It’s very important for the dough to be completely uniform before proceeding to the next step. You shouldn’t have pieces of cheese separate from areas of almond flour.

UPDATE: To make it easier to mix the dough, you can use a food processor with a dough attachment instead of kneading by hand.
  5. Divide the dough into 6 parts. Form/roll a long log with each part, then press the ends together to make a bagel shape on the lined baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining dough. If using sesame seeds, sprinkle them over the bagels and gently press into the dough. (You can also use everything seasoning for everything bagels.)
  6. Bake for 10-14 minutes, until the bagels are firm and golden.

JohnSchroeder

About the only thing you could do is take the insulin earlier to counter the carbs.  If you know the insulin takes half an hour to really hit you, then take the insulin half an hour before eating.

notme

With the 630g you can have that meal, but it takes a bit of tweaking to get ready.  Now you have to remember that I am type 1 and things may be a bit different.  I doubt much though.  

So your begining numbers have to be to be on the lower side.  I would try and start out in the 80’s.  Take the insulin you need for the 50+ carbs you want to eat.  In your case I thing you judged a bit high however 79 isn’t a hideous low.   I tend to try and run in the 80’s normally so 79 is in my wheelhouse.  If you felt low at 79 that tells me you are running more often than not a bit high.  If you start out with your numbers lower, take a short walk after you indulge, you should not spike quite as high. 

Honestly, I would avoid a breakfast like that but, we are all human and once in awhile you just pay the consequences for having some fun.  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.