Diabetes forums
Michael Williams

I need some help about GlucoGuard+ in capsules

Michael Williams

I'm actually not really sick with diabetes but my doctor says that my sugar on the upper border has been around for a long time... (my rates are from 6.5 to 7.3). I went to the health store and there they advised one natural product GlucoGuard+ in capsules... on the package write that the composition is - DL-alpha-lipoic acid - 200 mg  +silymarin (80%)-220 mg+ Curcuma longa - 180 mg/. Also on the pack it is written that you need to take three capsules a day.

the owner of the pharmacy said that this is the newest and best remedy that she has (for the prevention of diabetes) and she promised that my sugar would drop by 15-20%.

I can not find reviews for this product
Maybe someone knows something about GlucoGuard+ ?
thanks for the advice

img_9026.jpg

OneEye

Contra Indications (Precautions):

Do not use if you are pregnant or breastfeeding. Consult a health care practitioner if symptoms persist or worsen, prior to use if you have gallstones or a bile duct obstruction, stomach ulcers or excess stomach acid, if you have diabetes; if you experience sweating, paleness, chills, headache, dizziness and/or confusion, discontinue use and consult a healthcare practitioner (as these may be symptoms of serious low blood sugar).

With an A1c of 6.5 - 7.3...welcome to the club, you DO have diabetes.

TX_Clint

Or is the rates you refer to 6.5 to 7.3 mmol/L blood glucose levels and not HbA1c. If so thats 117 to 131 mg/dL. Then if you were fasting for several hours refer to OneEye's post.

stevenal

With diabetes on the rise, this presents lots of opportunity for stuff like this. Alpha lipoic acid is good for neuropathy, but I've not seen it make a difference in my blood glucose. Never heard of the other stuff. If you do decide to try it, get a meter and test to see if it makes a difference.

I find diet makes a much bigger difference than any pill or supplement. Look around this site for advice in that direction.

OneEye
6 hours ago, stevenal said:

Never heard of the other stuff.

Silymarin, or Silybum marianum is Milk Thistle seed extract. Curcuma longa is Tumeric. Tumeric being the spice that gives curry its yellow color. Both touted as anti-oxidents.

As an aside here: If a pharmacist promised me an OTC supplement would drop my blood sugars by 20%...I'd ask to see their license.

Edited by OneEye

Fraser

Or I would like to invest in that company!!!

not really, there is no magical solution.

eat better, exercise more, and if necessary appropriate medication. 

REALITY 

Edited by Fraser

Michael Williams
23 hours ago, TX_Clint said:

Or is the rates you refer to 6.5 to 7.3 mmol/L blood glucose levels and not HbA1c. If so thats 117 to 131 mg/dL. Then if you were fasting for several hours refer to OneEye's post.

I agree that a diet is needed, but I have already limited my sweetness for so long. I do not agree with the fact that this is diabetes and the doctor also tells me that this is prediabetes. When I do a sugar test by myself (I take a sample of my finger), I usually have less than 6.5 mmol / LBut when I do the test in the clinic, I even had 7.5 (it was) (138 mg / dL) As for the alpha-lipoic acid, I'm now looking for myself for this component. I basically do not want to start with prescription drugs. So a bunch of side effects + this is the paid business of pharmaceutical companies. I have a friend from a representative of one firm and I know what kind of a cheating business.I want to make my own decision and choose my own means.Thanks to everyone who blew it.I will write here about my successes, I can find like-minded people, or someone will help.

Kit

T2 Diabetes and Pre Diabetes are the same thing, the inability of the pancreas to make enough insulin to overcome insulin resistance.   Its just a matter of severity/wording due to insurance and other outdated concerns.

At your level you likely don't need prescription drugs.  We have a member here diagnosed with an A1C of around 12 (which is an estimated average glucose reading of close to 300/16.7).  He's currently on no medications and last A1C was 5.0.(which is an average of around 97/5.4).

I was diagnosed with an A1C of 10.4 (average of 252/14).  I am on Metformin, but will be trying to drop it if I can keep my next A1C under 5.0.

If you want sweets, there are tons of recipes out there using other sweetener types which won't affect you like sugar, honey and similar.  Just tell us the types of things you like and we can help point the way to recipes or products which can be purchased.

OneEye
53 minutes ago, Michael Williams said:

I basically do not want to start with prescription drugs. So a bunch of side effects + this is the paid business of pharmaceutical companies. I have a friend from a representative of one firm and I know what kind of a cheating business.

Glucoguard+ is $34.99 for a 20 day supply. That's $52.50 a month for a supplement. That's also a business.

OneEye
1 hour ago, Michael Williams said:

Thanks to everyone who blew it.I will write here about my successes, I can find like-minded people, or someone will help.

Finding "like-minded" people never presents an opposing view. This is called weighing the pros and the cons. I'm sure I could find a glut of people who would agree that Krispy Kreme donuts are harmless...but I doubt it would be in my best interest.

I see you've posted this on another diabetes website. They don't seem to be rubbing your feet there, either!

Good luck!

GrammaBear
4 hours ago, Michael Williams said:

I agree that a diet is needed, but I have already limited my sweetness for so long. I do not agree with the fact that this is diabetes and the doctor also tells me that this is prediabetes. When I do a sugar test by myself (I take a sample of my finger), I usually have less than 6.5 mmol / LBut when I do the test in the clinic, I even had 7.5 (it was) (138 mg / dL) As for the alpha-lipoic acid, I'm now looking for myself for this component. I basically do not want to start with prescription drugs. So a bunch of side effects + this is the paid business of pharmaceutical companies. I have a friend from a representative of one firm and I know what kind of a cheating business.I want to make my own decision and choose my own means.Thanks to everyone who blew it.I will write here about my successes, I can find like-minded people, or someone will help.

Those of us here who have diabetes are not sick with it, we are managing it the best way we know how to manage it.  Pre-diabetes is like being a little bit pregnant - either you are or you are not.  Sweets are not the only things that elevate blood glucose readings.  Grains like wheat, things like rice and pasta also can elevate your readings.  I will you well with your adventure into taking the supplements you've mentioned here.  I would not put my faith in them, but then they aren't for sale in my town either.

Carol_42
On 12/7/2017 at 0:16 PM, stevenal said:

I find diet makes a much bigger difference than any pill or supplement. Look around this site for advice in that direction.

Yes, yes, and yes.

Dave_KC
On 12/8/2017 at 2:35 PM, OneEye said:

Glucoguard+ is $34.99 for a 20 day supply. That's $52.50 a month for a supplement. That's also a business.

Metformin is a lot cheaper!  

macksvicky
10 hours ago, Dave_KC said:

Metformin is a lot cheaper!  

You are so right, plus it's a time tested and reliable tool for management. 

Michael Williams

I am grateful to everyone who wrote here even if I am accused of contempt of official medicine.
But I certainly will not blindly believe businessmen from medicine who do not give me an alternative.
Some of you advised a diet - and I absolutely agree.
The diet is 100% good, and I regard nutritional supplements as a necessary improvement in the diet.
Those who advised starting taking metformin ... I'm sorry but I'm not an enemy to myself.
I do not want for myself such a life and I advise you to read to all who accept this "substance".

This is what independent science writes :

((Metformin Use Linked to Increased Dementia, Parkinson's Risk in Patients With Diabetes

Deborah Brauser
March 30, 2017

VIENNA, Austria — Long-term use of the diabetes medication metformin may increase the risk for neurodegenerative disease in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus (T2DM), new research suggests.
In a cohort study that followed about 9300 patients with T2DM in Taiwan for up to 12 years, the risk for Parkinson's disease (PD) or Alzheimer's dementia was more than double during a 12-year period for those who took metformin vs those who did not — even after adjusting for multiple confounders.
In addition, outcome risks increased progressively with higher dosage and longer duration of treatment.
The results were presented here at AD/PD 2017: The 13th International Conference on Alzheimer's and Parkinson's Diseases by Yi-Chun Kuan, MD, Shuang Ho Hospital, Taipei Medical University, New Taipei City, Taiwan.))

And this is written by people:

((Please may I ask if anyone knows if there is an alternative to Metformin? I have a 73-year-old friend who is a Type 2 and Metformin is making his life a misery. His stomach is constantly upset. I think he takes Gliclazide too but his readings seem constantly too high and I am worried for him.This past week he has had a flu type virus that has sent his readings up to sitting around 23 and I persuaded him those levels were becoming dangerously high, so he did phone for advice and a doctor met him at the out-of-hours clinic at the hospital but promptly sent him home with instructions just to double his Metformin.Now his stomach is so upset he cannot even leave the house.))

Yes, the additive I asked you about (GLUCO GUARD +) costs money, but it does not do as much harm as (Metformin).
And most importantly, I decide myself which one to take (there are many options).
I believe that people should have an alternative, this is the main point that gives us freedom.

meyery2k

Michael - I agree that looking into alternatives is great.  One alternative you might consider, if you are not already doing so, is looking into diet and exercise.  When I was initially diagnosed, my A1C was 8.5.  Within one year, I have it consistently below 5 and no longer take Metformin.  My morning fasting readings are 80-95.  I would rather spend $52.50 a month on good quality food than pills personally.

As a diabetic, I would urge you not to dismiss this since you are "only" pre-diabetic.  You just don't meet the criteria to be classified as having diabetes.  If you act now, you might avoid that.  Having diabetes pretty much ruins any opportunity to get affordable life insurance.  You are supposed to report to the DMV you have diabetes.  There are some professions like professional aviators that will not allow diabetics.  

I encourage you to continue looking for the path that best works for you and I hope you find it. ~ Mike

Fraser

Unfortunately you are right, there is nothing online about GlucoGuard, except the product site and your inquires.

I did find a product with a like sounding name that does the same things for horses.

Personally I manage my long time full blown. T2 without medications, with diet and exercise only. So it can be done.

So try it at your own risk.  Also the terms natural and vegetarian are meaning less.  Sugar is a natural product and some sugars are considered to be vegan.

Edited by Fraser

meyery2k

@Fraser makes an excellent point about the vegetarian label.  If I ate vegetarian I could still eat in a way that would not allow me to manage diabetes if I ate fruit and most below ground vegetables.  They are loaded with carbohydrate and carbohydrate is readily converted to glucose.

My doctor once quipped that alcoholics have it easier than diabetics because we need glucose to live so it becomes a case of managing that resource by any means possible.

stevenal

How do you know Glucoguard has no side effects? Sound familier?. Metformin was originally derived from the goat rue plant.

Digestive problems with metformin are usually avoided by beginning with a low dose and increasing slowly over time.

As for the study, watch out for relative risk. As an example of relative risk, I know of a sure fire way increasing your risk of winning the lottery by 100%: Buy twice as many tickets. It's the difference in absolute risk that matters.

Also, I did not mean to advise a diet, I meant to advise a change in diet. The first is temporary, the later is permanent. Some call it "way of eating" to avoid any confusion.

Michael Williams
22 hours ago, stevenal said:

How do you know Glucoguard has no side effects? Sound familier?. Metformin was originally derived from the goat rue plant.

Digestive problems with metformin are usually avoided by beginning with a low dose and increasing slowly over time.

As for the study, watch out for relative risk. As an example of relative risk, I know of a sure fire way increasing your risk of winning the lottery by 100%: Buy twice as many tickets. It's the difference in absolute risk that matters.

Also, I did not mean to advise a diet, I meant to advise a change in diet. The first is temporary, the later is permanent. Some call it "way of eating" to avoid any confusion.

one metformin is deadly already from 2 grams (2000 mg) per day.

"Metformin has the potential to cause fatal lactic acidosis, particularly in elderly patients with renal dysfunction and those taking more than 2 g/day."

- Cardiothoracic Critical Care E-Book

2 small doses start for many with 2 grams !!!

"I suppose I am needing to know what the maximum is before insulin is the next option. I was diagnosed as Type 2 at the start of this year and was prescribed 2000mg Metformin daily"

The conclusion is - metformin is an unequivocally high risk.
And if a lot of people go for it, then it's more likely from the hopelessness created by the pharmaceutical companies.

Is there a "normal" dosage of Metformin?

TX_Clint

Michael Williams

Cardiathoracic Critical Care E-Book is for patients that have had cardiothoracic surgery and critically ill cardiology patients. The conclusion is metformin is very low risk for most otherwise healthy individuals. Please see https://bottomlineinc.com/health/diabetes/metformin-new-benefits-and-risks-for-this-old-diabetes-drug