Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pawfelts

Introduction

pawfelts

Hi there, I just turned 65 years old.  For the last few years my yearly lab fasting glucose have been around 98, 103 and 105.  I recently learned that everybody on my mother's side incl. her, either had, or has diabetes.  None were/are in the overweight category. So when I was told that my brother now is a diabetic and on insulin and without a pound of fat to spare, I got curious/worried and bought me a glucose meter.

I already had Graves disease with RAI treatment, lymphocitic colitis, and need Restasis for my dry eyes.

So due to the colitis about 1 1/2 yrs ago, I started a gluten free diet and progressed to a low carb but not ketogenic diet.  I grow a lot of fruit and vegetables and eat mainly just plain whole foods.  Well, according to some people I am a grazer and mono mealer.  I was 20 lbs overweight and lost 25 lbs in a year or so.  I can spare max 10 more lbs before looking too bony.  

Back to my meter.  Mornings are  very similar to lab results, on occasion up to 115ish.  If I wanted to stay below 140 after meals, I can eat about 20 carbs, if I stay on my feet and buzz around, I may get away with 40 some carbs.  I wanted to see what would happen if I eat a cup of rice (66 carbs) and move very little.  Well that was scary, I peaked at 272 at 90 minutes and came down to 156 after 3 hrs.  Keep in mind, my body was not used to that many carbs.  Still worried me and I made an appointment with the GP.  Oh yeah, I have yet to go down below 88, and I only saw two readings below 90 in nearly one month.  

The doctor talked about Metformin and it's propensity to cause intestinal upset.  I reminded her of the colitis and she immediately goes oh, that's why I din't put you on it already.  Next in line would be Glipicide but I'd have to eat more carbs. So we settled for doing a A1c test and take it from there.  To my surprise, the test came back a fantastic 5.2.  Her advice is to keep watching the carbs, test, and call if the numbers start going up.

Supposedly my brother watched his diet like a hawk and soon after lost control and was put on insulin.  

I am pretty sure, if I was to eat more carbs, I'd be in danger territory.  I can handle the diet and testing, it's the unknown or how quickly things may go wrong and become dangerous, especially if my immune system should decide to go on all out attack again.

Sorry, this got so wordy but I am  a beginner to all this glucose stuff.  Luckily, I don't care about eating desert.

Kit

Hi pawfelts, welcome to the group.

Ask your doctor to test for antibodies and c-peptide.  It is possible that you might be a T1.5 or LADA (latent autoimmune diabetes of adults).  Yes, its not just children who can be diagnosed as a T1.  Your family history and your description says to me that this might be a possibility.

The antibody tests look for the antibodies from an autoimmune attack.

C-peptide tests look to see how much insulin youi are making.

This is going to be an important distinction as glipicide forces the pancreas to make more insulin.  If your pancreas is under attack, this could be a bad thing.

If this is not the case, well I personally am sitting here on a keto or near keto diet (30g total crabs a day and 60-70g protein a day).  I don't eat grains, root vegetables, or fruit (with exception of tomatoes, zucchini, avocado, etc).  I won't go into this now since it sounds like you've already looked into this subject in detail.

But seriously, get on your doctor to do those tests.

pawfelts

Thanks Kit and Fraser!  The doctor kind of left me with the impression with an A1c of 5.2 I'm good to go, unless the readings start going up.

My Endo retired many years ago.  I should find a new one, could potentially take a long time to get an appointment anyway.  I'll check into those tests.  

Dave_KC

Like @Fraser, my best advise is listen to Kit.  

5.2 is a very good A1c, so that's encouraging, but those are some high spikes, and should definitely be of concern. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.