Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

the hair of the dog

What the 'mainstream' doctors won't tell you

the hair of the dog

Back in early January I noticed that I had been carrying a thick fungal infection on my lower legs, the result of having a tape worm for 60 years and bombarding my system with sugar to keep it fed. So, I started treating the fungal infection with terbefina, but there was such a huge die off and the toxin release was so intense, that both feet became swollen to twice their normal size, every nerve ending in my feet was inflamed and my kidneys basically stopped working. I discovered that carbs and sugar, in any amount, even a gram, made things worse. So for 6 weeks I ate zero carbs, zero sugars, only meats and veg, and felt like I was starving. But, within a few days my kidneys started functioning like jack the bear. I was passing in excess of 6 litres of urine a day, the inflammation went down, my rising blood sugar was so low (80) that I thought I would be able to get off the Galvus (Vildagliptin). So what happened? I lost 40 pounds (mostly retained water) in 6 weeks and my blood lipids reduced by over half. And then? Well, my well meaning ex-wife decided that I 'needed' carbs, and iron rich foods, and so I started, slowly eating carbs again. Bad decision. Within a few months of returning to Canada, where every food is full of carbs and sugars, I promptly regained all the weight I had lost, plus 5 pounds more, my sugars went back up, my lipids doubled because the carbs were interfering with the insulin cycle, and now my current doctor is all hot and bothered about what amount to a 'diet' regime. You NEED saturated fats, and the more, the better. You need greens, but not greens that are loaded with iron, because iron interferes with and suppresses the insulin function. I have to laugh. For the last 20 years we have been admonished to eat healthy - meaning whole grains (bad), high iron containing veg like peas, spinach, etc (bad), and ultra low or not fat meats (very, very bad). From my own, direct, personal experience, I can tell you this. The Atkins diet is no fad. It is the truth. And it now has 20 years of use behind it, with many people who were so 'diabetic' that the doctors wanted to put them on insulin, now having completely normal sugar ranges. So, to the so called doctors (my grandfather was a famous surgeon, and a Holmes Gold Medallist who was Chief of Surgery at The Royal Victoria Hospital in Montreal for a decade), here is what I have to say. Keep your crazy pills, stop prescribing dangerous and toxic statins to people, stop telling people that they 'must eat whole grains and choose low fat or zero fat options', and leave your patients alone. If they follow a low iron, high fat and protein diet, in addition to removing all carbs, their systems will normalize. You, however, will be out of a job, and perhaps that is the single biggest 'tell' in this whole sad story. There are simply too many 'incentives' for most doctors, in Canada, or elsewhere, to tell you the truth.

Kit

Hi, welcome to the group.

You're preaching to the choir here.  Many of us do an Atkins type, lchf (low carb/high fat), or ketogenic diet with great results.  I personally also stopped having the gastric issues that I had for 15 years after having my gall bladder removed.  And is the opposite of the diet they had instructed me to eat to avoid those issues.  Go figure.  My complexion is also the best its been since before I hit puberty.

I personally cook with lard, butter, and heavy cream and embrace healthy fats of all kinds, and avoid man made fats and many of the seed/vegetable fats that are so heavily pushed.  I eat meats (try to avoid lean cuts), cheeses, eggs, and similar.  Of course that is all paired with fresh low carb vegetables to help round out my diet.

I don't eat any grains, most root vegetables (onions, garlic, etc an exception), few fruits (not counting the non sweet ones such as avocado and zucchini), and minimal, infrequent legumes (occasional splurge when doing mexican).  Other than the beans, I don't miss any of it.

Since changing to this diet, my A1Cs were running 5.1/5.2 and the last one was 4.8.  If my next is also under 5, I will try to reduce or get rid of the Metformin I currently take.  Not bad given I was diagnosed with an A1C of 10.4 with spikes of over 300.

If you haven't already, take a look at our recipe section.  A lot of good ideas there that you may or may not have run across before.  And I hope you stick around.  You will find a lot of like minded people here and a lot of support to help stay the course.

the hair of the dog

Thanks Kit & Meyery2k. I'll have a look around at recipes. You know, this whole thing pisses me off sooo much, I would like to ring the neck of the doctor that was my GP for ten years. They get well over 300K per year to take your blood pressure and order standard blood tests, but when it comes to actually delivering medicine or a cure, all you hear is crickets.

stevenal

I agree with most of Hairy Dog's approach, but I'll disagree with the high protein part. Excess protein converts to glucose and spikes insulin. Low carb, high fat, and moderate protein.

You can keep your iron down by donating blood, a great win-win.

the hair of the dog

Well, when I said 'high' protein I suppose I meant enough protein to keep you from feeling hungry, which is always a challenge when you are operating on a reduced carb/sugar regime, at least it is for me.

I found a much better way to get rid of excess iron. It is called IP6, it is a supplement that is comprised of special forms of calcium, phosphorus and magnesium. What it does is binds the excess iron in your system and you simply excrete it. You only need to do a 30 day treatment, once a year, all other things being equal. I have a severe vase/vago reaction to anyone taking blood, so the time, expense and agitation of getting 'bled' is not for me. An besides, because of my history of infectious parasites, I can not give blood, even though my blood is supposedly clear of strongyloids. 

NoraWI

What keeps hunger away is fat and not protein. Eat some nuts as a snack and enough fat with your meals and you won't ever feel hungry.

Kit

Actually for me its a combination of fat and protein.  As you play around with the new way of eating, you will find what works best for you.  We all have little tweaks here and there.  :)

Too much protein being an issue is one of the main reasons I go for fattier cuts of meat.

For example:  

1oz Pork Belly (the cut bacon comes from) contains around 2.6g of protein.  Which means you could eat close to 8oz to come around 20g of protein for a meal.

1oz boneless skinless chicken breast is about 9g of protein.  Which means you could eat just over 2oz to come in at around 20g of protein for a meal.

Note the weights above are raw weights, not cooked weights.

Re protein and BG readings.  While fat is not converted by the body into glucose like carbs are, protein can be converted through a process called gluconeogenesis.  In this case, protein not used to build or maintain muscle mass can be converted into glucose.  Protein needs will vary greatly between individuals depending on their overall body build, muscle mass, activity levels, and types of activity levels.  Jogging, as health an activity it is, will not build muscle mass like spending an equivalent amount of time lifting weights.

BTW, this is also why those who go on extreme calorie restriction diets to loose weight often loose more muscle mass than they do fat.  In order to provide glucose for energy that isn't coming from the diet, the body starts to break down its own muscles.  It can't break down fat for the same purpose because fat can't be turned into glucose.  And loss of this lean muscle mass also means a tank in metabolism.  Which means that the body's resting caloric needs are lower.  Which means that its easier and easier to gain weight on fewer and fewer calories.

Also, it takes time for protein to get converted into glucose, which means high protein meals can spike our BG numbers but may do so a few hours later than we might see with carbs.

Which brings about the subject of ketogenic diets.  Glucose isn't the body's only source of energy.  It can switch from burring glucose to burning ketones.  And the body CAN convert fat into ketones.

The benefit to the body is that once it becomes adapted to burning ketones, it means its easier and easier for the body to burn its own fat stores.  This is reason why these kinds of diets work so well for weight loss.

However, the body is not very good at switching back and forth between these two sources of energy and it usually takes some time to adjust from carb burning to ketone burning.  During this process you can not feel so good, loose a good amount of water weight, and similar.  Its often referred to at the keto flu.  It goes away though and once it does, most people feel better than they have in a very long time.

Funny enough it can switch from ketones to glucose pretty much instantly.  I've seen some people say that's because is our natural form of energy.  I've seen others say its because an over abundance of glucose in the system is dangerous to the body so the body uses that fuel first.  Its an interesting subject.

Anyway, most of us here practice a method called Eat to your Meter.  This means that we test ourselves before and after meals to find out how we reacted to that meal.  Some people can tolerate some things that others cannot.  We're all a little different.

the hair of the dog

Super comments. Lots to think about. I usually do my BG after meals as well, but in terms of understanding all the functions, I am rather a newbie at this. What I do know for sure, is that regardless of the reason I needed to stop eating carbs and sugars, I likely did go into some form of ketosis, but, it had overall tremendous positive effects for me.

dowling gram

Oh Kit--if I had to eat fatty meat I'd be gagging all through the meal unless the fat were rendered out of it like crispy bacon. 1 bit of soft fat in my mouth and the gag reflex takes over.

I get my fat from cheese, yogurt, butter, full fat cream, peanut butter and nuts and a few other things. Not from fatty meat

the hair of the dog

I guess I should qualify what I meant by my high iron. It isn't circulating iron that is high, it is my ferritin (stored) iron that is high (ultra high > 750). None the less, I don't care for the idea that my liver is holding so much iron, can't be good for it. I know what the source was also - I had been on well water for 15 years and it turned out that the iron content in that well was so high that the water treatment company was unable to even get a reading, it was right off the scale. So we ended up have to put 2 greensand filters in series to reduce the iron so that the water could be treated with UV light. So all those years, drinking it, using it in coffee (huge coffee drinker) plus the extra iron I was getting in what amounted to my ex-wife's vegetarian diet (spinach, legumes etc), has left me in this pickle. And then, on top of it all, so called 'well meaning' manufacturers of food products add not only vitamins but in many cases (but as bread flour) iron as well. It isn't very difficult to go over the RDA.

dowling gram

Usually when vitamins are added to food it is because it is something that the general population is low in and it is approved by the medical profession such as vitamin d3 added to milk. Most pregnant women are given iron supplements because many people do not get sufficient iron from their food. I doubt that iron found in food had much impact on your high iron consumption and the well was the cause of your high iron.

Is there nothing that can be done to reduce the iron in your body?

the hair of the dog

Well, I am not so sure about the food part. If you have a look at the iron content in spinach, legumes, breads etc, I've found that I was often exceeding the RDA by quite a bit, so although at first blush it may not have been the iron in the food that created the problem, the higher iron in my diet was also preventing my liver from unloading iron from it's stores.

After many, many, many years of self treating with supplements and doing constant research, I have come to the conclusion that as far as I'm concerned, I don't want any vitamins or supplements added to the food I buy. I will manage my own vitamin and mineral profile, thank you very much. It's the same with beef for instance. When I was in Panama for the last 3 years, the one thing that was wonderful about the place was that all the beef that is raised locally is grass fed, with zero antibiotics and zero hormones. It was cheap, cheap cheap to buy (8 oz filet mignon $ 4.00), and wonderful to eat. Very low cholesterol, and when I compare that to what is offered by one of our major food chains, all they sell now is 'corn fed' beef. Well, as in the US, the corn that is grown in Canada is GMO, meaning that if you eat any food that was directly or indirectly tainted with GMO grains, you are getting glyphosate residues, and I know now, as do many people, that glyphosate is a very persistent poison. It does not break down in the environment, and of course dairy has the same issues, unless you buy organic, which I do now as a matter of course. I guess the way I feel about that is why should I have to pay double the price for organic food so that I don't end up poisoning myself? I read a comment by a man the other day, on another board, an American, who noted that his entire gut flora had been destroyed by the glyphosate in the foods he had been consuming. The fact that companies are actually allowed to do that, is, effectively, murder. American wheat farmers really did themselves in. Beginning with the 2014/15 crop year, their exports collapsed by 50% and have never recovered. The only countries they can sell to now, at steep discounts are third world places like Africa, and nasty little corporations like Subway. Everywhere else, Eurasia, Latin and South America, Australia, New Zealand, England, glyhposates are banned, completely. Thank god our wheat farmers did not go GMO. It takes at least 7 years before 50% of the residues are broken down in the soil and water. 

It used to be that our Canadian Medical Association watched out for people's health as a matter of routine, but no longer. Now they are just part of the 'captured' high priests, who only care about how much more money they can wring out of the government for their members with each new contract. There is a lot of stuff, way too much actually that is going on that is seriously harming people. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.