Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rob43

Startup’s needle-free drug injector

Rob43

Certain treatments for patients suffering from chronic diseases, such as inflammatory bowel diseases, require multiple intravenous or subcutaneous injections of specific drugs. Because of the pain and anxiety associated with needles, some patients stop adhering to these treatments.

MIT spinout Portal Instruments has now landed a commercialization deal for a smart, needle-free injection device that could reduce the pain and anxiety associated with needle injections, shorten administration time, and improve patient adherence.

http://news.mit.edu/2017/startup-needle-free-drug-injector-gets-commercialization-deal-1208

NoraWI

I see this as a solution to a problem created by the health industry itself. By *threatening* insulin, they prey on the anxiety they created themselves. Injections are absolutely no big deal!

Kit

Didn't set already have something like this? Whenever I got a shot when I was in the military, they used something very similar. Not exactly pain free though. It usually left a welt. 

Fear off needles, injections, etc has little to do with diabetes or insulin. Though health professionals may use the fear of needles to scare patients into compliance. I don't think it works. 

meyery2k

One of my most memorable series of vaccinations (I was in kindergarten at the time) is when they lined us all up and remarked how it wasn't a needle and wouldn't hurt at all.  I don't remember what it was for.  Anyway, my turn and it was the WORST shot I ever had.  Even at 6 years old, I figured the needle beat the alternative.

I don't like injections or pricking, meaning I wouldn't unnecessarily do it but they aren't a big deal now.

When I see the PCP the nurse is almost apologetic when she comes to take the A1C and I just joke that I prick my fingers at least once a day so go for it lol...

Fraser

Interesting, the article discussed that this devise was designed

for large volume and very dense medications which insulin is neither. 

To me the insulin pens would be just as convenient. 

This also does not address the need to be able to calculate the appropriate dosing of insulin. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.