Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ran23

small amount of blood, low number

ran23

I have noticed if I can get only a small amount of blood (not so little it fails) I get low-low numbers. 80 instead  of 120.  anyone else notice this??     Probably my cheap Kroger meter.  

TX_Clint

I've not noticed this happening with my meter. (Livongo) I did have trouble getting enough blood to test today at noon... my hands were freezing and I had to run warm water on them to get any blood flow.

Fraser

My back up meter is a CVS advantage, , lower price range.  There is a window at the tip of the strip 

plus at another less than 1/4 inch down the strip.  If I see blood in both Windows the reading is good if I only see blood in the tip,. The readings are inconsistent , but  you screw up both windows you get an error reading. 

So the answer for the CVS meter is incorrect amount of blood gives you a useless reading,

dowling gram

My freestyle lite meter only requires a tiny drop of blood. I've tested with a drop of blood the size of a pin head and gotten consistent readings. Some meters require more blood than others

Fraser

I loved my freestyle lite meter, but long ago insurance/Medicare choose a different brand to supply. 

Yes just a small amount of blood is all that is neede for that brand. 👍

stevenal

I also used a Freestyle Lite until recently, but my experience was different. Too little blood and the reading was off even though it beeped. To get consistent results on it or my new Accu-chek Guide, I try to get a good sized drop. Thumb works best.

It might not be the meter. We are trying to get a sample that's representative of the whole volume. That single capillary supplying the pin sized drop might not be delivering a very representative sample, while the larger drop supplied by several capillaries would average out a bit better.

http://www.healthcentral.com/slideshow/worst-mistakes-you-make-when-checking-your-sugar#slide=4

Kit

Oh I like that article. Not so much in regards to this discussion but for the points it makes in 9,10,and 11.

Wonder if we could get the "you only need to test in the morning" doctors to read it.  Or the patients to comprehend "But it’s likely that the most important change you can make is to change what you eat." 

Just comprehending there is a direct cause and affect would be a big step. 

dowling gram

10 hours ago, stevenal said:

It might not be the meter. We are trying to get a sample that's representative of the whole volume. That single capillary supplying the pin sized drop might not be delivering a very representative sample, while the larger drop supplied by several capillaries would average out a bit better.

I don't know if that's true. My readings are borne out by my lab tests. I have checked my meter against the lab a few times and it always read as spot on with the lab. The lab uses a lot more blood than I do when I test. If your theory is correct then why are both readings the same and why do my daily readings compare favorably with my A1C

stevenal

I said might. As in all things, your mileage will vary. My latest A1C puts my average at 120 according to the ADA, not at all where my readings are.

stevenal
19 hours ago, Kit said:

Oh I like that article. Not so much in regards to this discussion but for the points it makes in 9,10,and 11.

Another YMMV at page 9. Every time I've checked, my peak is at the 1 hour mark. At two hours, I'm well over the hump.

RIP Dr. Mendosa. I found his stuff at HealthCentral to be very helpful, and still do.

Kit
1 hour ago, stevenal said:

Another YMMV at page 9. Every time I've checked, my peak is at the 1 hour mark. At two hours, I'm well over the hump.

RIP Dr. Mendosa. I found his stuff at HealthCentral to be very helpful, and still do.

Testing at any time post is better than the usual test only in the morning on only before eating so they can dose insulin using the sliding scale with no regards to what you are about to eat.

When I broke my ankle, that first afternoon I didn't have my meter yet.  The nurses absolutely REFUSED to test my BGs after eating.  They said "you'll be high".

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.