Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nita

Lower leg Pain

Nita

I have yet to complain to my diabetes doctor as it was only occasional but now more and more I am experiencing lower burning leg pain that feels icy.  Yes, they are swollen and a bit discolored red.  Before I go to the next appointment I wonder if anyone has the diagnoses of such and what can be done about it.  It is almost daily now.  Sometimes I take an Aleve or two for the pain.  Not used to over the counter pain meds so don't even know if that is safe for a diabetic of 29 years.  I am 83.  Don't know what OTC meds are safe for diabetic kidneys.  

Yes, I am having more difficulty keeping my blood sugar down and use Humalog and Levemir.  A1c is 7.6.  If anyone has this condition how is yours treated?   

Thanks in advance,

Nita

Kit

There's not a lot of details to go over, but it sounds like cellulitis.

https://www.medicinenet.com/cellulitis/article.htm

However with cellulitis, its usually warmth, not iciness.  Though with cold I would lean towards maybe circulation issues.  You definitely want to talk to your doctor about this.

dowling gram

I'm a senior too and I do have a bit of a circulation problem. My feet would swell and feel very cold if I didn't keep them warm especially if I hadn't been active that day. I wear soft socks that have some wool in them and slippers and that tends to keep my feet warm. Recently I discovered "hot socks" and they are extremely warm.

I keep my feet elevated when just sitting and do foot exercises to improve circulation. All this tends to reduce swelling and get the blood flowing. A foot massager would help too

GrammaBear

Everyone is different, but my kidney doctor has discouraged the use of OTC meds for pain.  He said an occasional use is alright, but not a daily use.  I am also a Senior and I have a history of cellulitis.  Whenever my leg gets very warm to the touch and is red in color, I get medical attention asap.  I would encourage you to call your doctor very soon and best wishes for a positive outcome.

Nita

I was sorta hoping someone would comment on OTC meds.  I seem to recall something about Tylenol.  I just don't remember which kinds are bad for kidneys.  I did take some Aleve which helped the pain somewhat.

OneEye
6 hours ago, GrammaBear said:

Everyone is different, but my kidney doctor has discouraged the use of OTC meds for pain.  He said an occasional use is alright, but not a daily use.

Absolutely! Those that manufacture an OTC pain medication are there to sell you a product. Should I need a temp' pain killer...I go to aspirin. If the pain persists...see a doctor.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.