Diabetes forums
adiantum

2018 Morning FBG tests

Hammer

My friend that I gave an early Christmas present to in my last post above, asked me if I could help her stop a drip in her bathroom sink.  No problem!  I told her that I would help her, and that stopping that drip would take maybe 30 minutes.  Yeah, right!  Six hours later, after replacing the bathroom faucet, all of the water lines going to the faucet, and a new drain in the sink, we finally got it up and running again.  Why homeowners work on things that they have no knowledge of, which makes those who buy their house years later, have problems trying to fix what the previous homeowners did, a real pain in the butt, makes no sense to me.  If they don't know what they are doing, then don't do it and hire someone who knows the right way to do it.

The sink was an old, heavy porcelain sink, that was placed into a vanity cabinet, and was then, grouted into the vanity cabinet, as well as the back ceramic wall by the previous owner.  Why would anyone grout a sink into anything?  Then the faucet knobs had stripped screws, so the screws couldn't be removed to allow me to remove the knobs and give me access to the faucet cartridges, which contained the washers that were worn out, thereby causing the faucet to drip.  The only solution was to replace the entire faucet.  

To replace the faucet, the sink had to be removed, which is why the grout that the previous owner had used to grout the sink in place, had to be removed with a hammer and chisel.  The hot and cold water supply lines feeding the sink had shutoff valves that had broken handles and could not be shut off, so we shut off the main water supply to the house.  Why people use the standard shut off valves for sinks is beyond me, they need to use quarter turn ball valves, which never fail. (we replaced those shut off valves with the quarter turn ball valves.)

Once we removed the old style shut off valves to the sink and replaced them with the new quarter turn ball valves, we turned on the main water supply, only to find the the existing pipes that we mounted the new quarter turn balls valves on, wouldn't seal properly, so they leaked.  We had to cut off the ends of those pipes, and use new compression fittings on those pipes to mount the new quarter turn balls on.(those pipes were CPVC pipes.)  

When we tried to install the stopper in the drain, the lever that you pulled up on to lower the stopper, and then push down on to open the stopper, hit the back of the vanity, so we had to cut off some of the arm that connected to it.  Once we did that, we had to attach the whole drain stopper linkage to a specific point in order to get it to work properly.  That meant removing the sink numerous times, adjusting the linkage, then seeing how it worked.  After repeated attempts, we got the stopper to a point where it worked okay.

When everything was finally connected, we turned on the faucets, only to find that the hot and cold water lines were connected backwards, but the new supply lines that we bought were the longest that we could find, and they weren't long enough to switch to the correct pipes feeding the sink.  By that time, my friend decided that she was okay with the way things worked and that we should call it a night and go out and get some dinner.  We still need to caulk around the sink, so we'll be doing that tomorrow.  Hopefully, nothing else will break....:)  A typical 30 minute job turned into a six hour job, because some idiot didn't know what he was doing when he installed that sink many years ago.B)

ran23

A 112 morning.   The first time to stay at the In-laws ouse, no one told me the shower knobs were backwards.  fun time.

adiantum

7.2 on the 2nd test.  It seems laundry liquid  has additives that read .

I didnt rinse my hands after rubbing laundry that had been soaking in a strong solution.

A girl could have a heart attack seeing 10 on her meter.

Fraser

I bought my self a new pair of running shoes.  They are still sitting by the door waiting to go outside because the air quality is so bad.

hopefully next weekend will be better.

Fraser

Just an added note.  Due to the hazardous air all indoor and outdoor pools are closed. And Most of the the gyms  are closed. Buildings are not usually air conditioned here. 

Not many exercise choices. 

Edited by Fraser

adiantum

Fraser, that air quality must be just awful.

I heard our Moonpie evacuated from Paradise and is safe although homeless.

FunDad62

I swear I just don't get it.  I've walked 2.5 miles for the last 3 days and have eaten better and still get this crap.  I'm sure it has a lot to do with my weight gain but all this insulin is making it hard to lose.  Frustrated. :(

Diana_CT

I think that I'm starting to get hit by S.A.D.

With it getting dark earlier, the sun has been behind clouds for the last 5 days, and the holiday season I'm starting to get into a blue funk. 

Fraser

94. Today

The air quality hopefully will start to get better tomorrow.  There will be a change in the wind direction and 3 days of at least some showers to clean the air.  The Camp fire is 75% contained.  

Fraser
20 hours ago, adiantum said:

Fraser, that air quality must be just awful.

I heard our Moonpie evacuated from Paradise and is safe although homeless.

The air is awful, but will disapate eventually. 

My condolences to Moonpie, living through that inferno is an experience no one should have. 

Take care, 

Kit

86 about a half hour before bed.

108 this morning.  Bah