Diabetes forums
adiantum

2018 Morning FBG tests

meyery2k

@steel - I am sorry your GP is not behaving.  Are you going to try without jardiance and see what happens?

steel
15 minutes ago, meyery2k said:

@steel - I am sorry your GP is not behaving.  Are you going to try without jardiance and see what happens?

yup i can't take something that harmful. sticking to metformin and low carb.

Hammer
42 minutes ago, steel said:

yup i can't take something that harmful. sticking to metformin and low carb.

Steel, if it was me, I'd tell the doctor that I refuse to take that medicine, and that I want insulin, because insulin has no side effects.  Your body makes insulin, so that's what it needs, not some oral meds that alter your body's chemistry and can cause all sorts of side effects.  Insulin takes a bit of experimenting to arrive at the correct dose for both the basal insulin, and the bolus insulin, but once you arrive at the correct dose for each, your BG levels will drop to where you want them to be.  Insulin is more precise than oral meds, and it works a lot more rapidly than oral meds.  If I eat something that spikes my BG levels too high, I just take a corrective shot of insulin, and within 1-2 hours, my BG levels are back to where I want them to be.  You can't do that with oral meds.  If your doctor refuses to give you insulin, then I'd find another doctor.  A doctor's job is to help the patient, not dictate to them, and if you want a medication that will help you, the doctor should give it to you, not argue with you about it.

steel
3 hours ago, Hammer said:

Steel, if it was me, I'd tell the doctor that I refuse to take that medicine, and that I want insulin, because insulin has no side effects.  Your body makes insulin, so that's what it needs, not some oral meds that alter your body's chemistry and can cause all sorts of side effects.  Insulin takes a bit of experimenting to arrive at the correct dose for both the basal insulin, and the bolus insulin, but once you arrive at the correct dose for each, your BG levels will drop to where you want them to be.  Insulin is more precise than oral meds, and it works a lot more rapidly than oral meds.  If I eat something that spikes my BG levels too high, I just take a corrective shot of insulin, and within 1-2 hours, my BG levels are back to where I want them to be.  You can't do that with oral meds.  If your doctor refuses to give you insulin, then I'd find another doctor.  A doctor's job is to help the patient, not dictate to them, and if you want a medication that will help you, the doctor should give it to you, not argue with you about it.

Hammer, I wasn't sure if the doctor would label me non compliant or something. But I really didn't want to take that medicine because of its serious side effects.  The medication wasn't prescribed for t2d but "weight loss", even though I didn't ask for weight loss medication. I agree with all your points about insulin. It instantly made sense when I read Dr. Bernstein talk about insulin therapy.

I am working on low carb diet and exercise (although I can't do much right now because I am recovering from severe anemia, but I do walk for 20 minutes) for BG control. I have noticed positive changes in BG numbers, barring the fluctuations from illness, birth control and recently steroids.  I just think it's ridiculous to strong arm me into taking medication for weight loss and making it sound "safe" when it's anything but, puts diabetics at risk of kidney problems, DKA and higher risk of strokes and heart attacks. It's just been very emotionally difficult for me being treated so poorly at the doctor's. I am searching for a new doctor for a few months, because this one has not been either a good doctor or good human being to me for a while. I called tons of doctors' offices and none are taking patients. I am going to keep trying, because this just isn't right. On top of that, I have been through absolute heck these past couple of months with one health issue after another. Sorry I ended up rambling a bit. Thanks for sharing your excellent advice.

Edited by steel

TX_Clint

Talk straight with the doctor about your concerns. He should be able to work out an acceptable treatment plan for you. I have taken jardiance for 3 years with good results and no issues. I have recently changed to basaglar (basal insulin) because my insurance will no longer cover jardiance or invokana.

steel
1 hour ago, TX_Clint said:

Talk straight with the doctor about your concerns. He should be able to work out an acceptable treatment plan for you. I have taken jardiance for 3 years with good results and no issues. I have recently changed to basaglar (basal insulin) because my insurance will no longer cover jardiance or invokana.

I am glad it's worked out so well for you. After reading the blood sugar 101 article on sglt-2 inhibitors, I wasn't comfortable taking the risk especially for weight loss. I don't want to take drugs for something like weight loss. I did mention my concerns, but the doctor was very dismissive and didn't address them, and kept insisting I needed the drug for weight loss and exaggerating it's heart protective benefits.

I am over being talked down to and dismissed by this doctor. I am pretty much expected to acquiesce to every word and whim without question.

Diana_CT

This morning's reading was 112.

I hope that I am not coming down with a cold, I'm teaching four classes this week at two universities substituting for the professor who is at a conference. Right now I just have a scratchy throat and a cough, at Thanksgiving none of the kids had any colds so I am hoping it is not the beginning of a full blown cold. 

FunDad62

Rained all day yesterday and got cool overnight.  Felt good.  Had my bedroom window open all night.  41 degrees this morning.  Supposed to be freezing tonight.  That's rare in the land of Mickey Mouse.

10 hours ago, Hammer said:

Steel, if it was me, I'd tell the doctor that I refuse to take that medicine, and that I want insulin, because insulin has no side effects.

Is weight gain a side effect?  Because after my endo had me start shooting up Novolog three times a day I packed on the pounds.

meyery2k

82 this morning.  I finally made 10,000 km for the year with my trusty bike, Fiare, so she is the star of this post.

Image may contain: bicycle, ocean and outdoor

meyery2k

@steel - I must comment that I admire that you are thinking this through critically.  Weight loss can be accomplished through diet and exercise.  It is not a quick result when done properly.  You are losing weight and, it would appear to me, managing well so far.

Kit

90 for me

@steel it can be so difficult when doctors don't treat you with respect.  The last one I went to was like that, felt like I was under attach from the moment she walked into the room.  Hope you have luck in finding another.

adiantum

Hoping your OK Diana.

I regret buying those cheap tissues that should be advertised as sand paper.

Ive no idea  where I picked this cold up from, so blaming anyone that sneezed into my garden as they walked past :D

steel

thanks @meyery2k and @Kit

these so called weight loss meds are expensive and have unnecessary risks in the weight loss context anyway. the assumption that being fat causes t2 diabetes has been debunked time and again. i can't wait to find a new doctor who listens, is open to disagreement and is respectful.

not sure if reported my FBG this morning but it was 6.2. got done with my first cycle of provera and my period started, as expected. two more months to go on birth control.

Hammer

A 105 (5.82) for me today.  I'll be increasing my Lantus dose tonight.

Steel, there should be a Physician's Referral Service in your area.  Call them up and ask them what doctors are taking on new patients.  The people at this service are up to date on which doctors are taking on new patients.

Fundad, insulin can cause weight gain, but only if the person takes too much of it.  In other words, if the person eats a lot of carbs, then covers it with insulin, that will cause weight gain.  This is one of the reasons why I've mentioned that, even though insulin will allow a person to eat more carbs, it can cause weight gain, so by eating less carbs and taking less insulin, it shouldn't cause weight gain.  I've been taking insulin, both Novolog and Lantus for about 8 years, and since I've been taking both of them, I've lost 85 pounds.

Edited by Hammer

steel

@Hammer unfortunately, the only service here is the BC 811 health line. they basically tell you to look for doctors on the physician's database. that's the advice i got twice. i called pretty much every clinic in my area and none are taking new patients. i don't know how to make an appeal to be accepted as a patient. i was thinking of email a family practice clinic, but they too aren't taking patients, so the chance of getting in is minuscule. i'll keep trying though.

p.s. worrisome development *facepalm*

i noticed this weird skin darkening in my lower legs. it's not the same as the one caused in the thigh region, from insulin resistance. this one is said to result from poor blood flow in the legs. i didn't have these dark patches on my lower legs and calves until recently. when i had severe anemia, my arms and legs would itch horribly. i'd scratch at them all day. maybe that's what caused the dermatitis (walk in clinic doctor said it was dermatitis and prescribed a steroid cream).

if it's some veinous insufficiency issue, that's very very troubling and scary. i am only 30. my BG has gotten better, and i bet my slightly elevated cholesterol is doing better too. my a1c at diagnosis was 7, and i am hoping it'll be at least 6 at the next test.  i don't know how ended up with such a serious problem, if that's what it is. it leads to less blood flow in the lower extremities, biggest risk factors are smoking and high cholesterol. i have never smoked and cholesterol is barely above normal.

i am very worried about something happening to my feet and legs. the GP as usual is dismissive and unconcerned. the walk in clinic doctor just gave me a cream for the dermatitis. what i need is an ultrasound of the legs to make sure the blood is circulating okay. i don't have any swelling, but i do have some pain, itching and a lot of discolouration. i need some diagnostic tests. just applying the cream isn't putting my mind at ease.

Edited by steel

Diana_CT

I tested one finger and the reading was 139, I tested another finger 116... doesn't really give you confidence in your readings 

I was talking to my brother yesterday and he also had a scratchy throat so my guess is one of the kids at Thanksgiving dinner passed along a little gift to the adults.

FunDad62

Concerning the discussion on fat and diabetes....what do y'all think about Dr. Neal Barnard's view?  "The problem is fat gets in to the blood stream and builds up and prevents insulin from being released to lower blood sugar.  So the solution is to reduce fat."  I may not have it quoted 100% accurate but it's close.

adiantum

Went  to bed early & had the radio on all night to cover the sounds of the wind & rain.

It was a surprise to see the garden canopy still there this morning.

We had more rain yesterday then we've had all year.

Houses flooded & cars washed away while theres wild fires up north with people evacuating.

Wishing you a quick recovery Diana. Children  can be a health hazard.

Kit
10 minutes ago, steel said:

99? my first ever number in the 90s! :blink:

Happy dance time.  :)