Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

adiantum

2018 Morning FBG tests

ran23

With a small lawn, I did think about a Electric mower and edger, but was afraid the neighbor's would want me to do their's.   $30 a month here for the lawn and leaf pick up is not bad.    

steel

okay folks...question..so like i am taking 250 mg of metformin twice a day. and it's had an impact on my pp numbers and fasting numbers (seeing a lot more 5s, no change in diet/activity). yesterday, i forgot i wasn't supposed to eat yogurt..cus spikes. i ate some, and sure enough my 1 hour pp reading was 8.6. that instantly reminded me....gosh i wasn't supposed to eat yogurt! i was also worried because a high like that would go down slowly pre metformin. pre metformin, i'd barely have been in the high 7s 2 hrs pp. yesterday however, 2 hours pp i was at 6.9. So i went from 8.6 to 6.9 and an hour later i was at 5.4. later in the evening, i was at 4.6.

i know from testing that this wouldn't have happened before i started taking metformin. that 8 would have slowly tapered to a 6.8 in 3 hours and probably a 6 in four hours and stayed there. my next day fasting would have been in the low 6s too.

so i guess my question or request for thoughts (if any) is...does the effectiveness of even 250 mg of metformin twice a day likely point to my problem being more related to insulin resistance? i ask because i know metformin helps insulin sensitivity and reduces liver dumps. it doesn't increase insulin production. so that's sort of what i was thinking. of course the  best way to know is to get a c peptide test done. i am just brainstorming here. :D

p.s. my stress test result is back. apparently my doctor has seen it but hasn't called me for an appointment yet. hoping that's a good sign..please keep your fingers crossed for me. thank you :wub::wub:

meyery2k

I can only go with my own observation but insulin resistance seems to be my primary problem.  I can see it clearly now that I know what to look for.  Couple days off the bike and the numbers creep up.

Hammer
14 hours ago, steel said:

okay folks...question..so like i am taking 250 mg of metformin twice a day. and it's had an impact on my pp numbers and fasting numbers (seeing a lot more 5s, no change in diet/activity). yesterday, i forgot i wasn't supposed to eat yogurt..cus spikes. i ate some, and sure enough my 1 hour pp reading was 8.6. that instantly reminded me....gosh i wasn't supposed to eat yogurt! i was also worried because a high like that would go down slowly pre metformin. pre metformin, i'd barely have been in the high 7s 2 hrs pp. yesterday however, 2 hours pp i was at 6.9. So i went from 8.6 to 6.9 and an hour later i was at 5.4. later in the evening, i was at 4.6.

i know from testing that this wouldn't have happened before i started taking metformin. that 8 would have slowly tapered to a 6.8 in 3 hours and probably a 6 in four hours and stayed there. my next day fasting would have been in the low 6s too.

so i guess my question or request for thoughts (if any) is...does the effectiveness of even 250 mg of metformin twice a day likely point to my problem being more related to insulin resistance? i ask because i know metformin helps insulin sensitivity and reduces liver dumps. it doesn't increase insulin production. so that's sort of what i was thinking. of course the  best way to know is to get a c peptide test done. i am just brainstorming here. :D

p.s. my stress test result is back. apparently my doctor has seen it but hasn't called me for an appointment yet. hoping that's a good sign..please keep your fingers crossed for me. thank you :wub::wub:

Steel, I would say that, yes, your problem is insulin resistance.  The fact that you ate too many carbs, then your BG levels shot up to 8.6, then it dropped down to 4.6, indicates that your pancreas is still producing enough insulin, but your body is resisting using it.  If you weren't producing enough insulin, you would have remained higher than 4.6 for a longer period of time.

I think that we all have a "carb threshold"....a point at where, if we don't exceed that threshold, our BG levels won't spike very high, but if we exceed that threshold, our BG levels spike really high.  The reason I believe that we have a carb threshold is from what other members have reported.  They tested before they ate an apple, then two hours after they ate the apple, and they found that they spiked really high (A medium size apple has about 25 carbs.)  The next day, they tested before eating one half of an apple (12-13 carbs), then tested two hours after they ate that one half of an apple, and they still had spiked too high.  The day after that, they tested before eating one quarter of and apple (6-7 carbs) and two hours after they ate the one quarter of an apple, their BG levels only increased slightly.  That let them know that they could eat one quarter of an apple, or, something with a 6-7 carb count, and they were okay.  So to my way of thinking, they have a carb threshold of 6-7 carbs at one sitting, and if they exceed that, their BG levels will spike too high.

In your case, you exceeded your carb threshold when you ate the yogurt, so your blood cells couldn't absorb enough insulin to stop your BG levels from spiking.  Your pancreas most likely was producing enough insulin to cover that spike, but your blood cells resisted using that insulin.  If your weren't producing enough insulin, your blood cells would have less insulin to try and absorb, so it would have taken a lot longer for you BG levels to drop.  Since your blood cells do resist using the insulin,  there is still a lot of glucose floating around in your blood stream, trying to attach itself to the blood cells.  Your pancreas detects this, so it keeps producing more insulin.  At some point, those blood cells that were resisting allowing the insulin to attach itself to them, will begin to stop resisting this, and the insulin will eventually attach itself to the blood cells, which opens a pathway for the glucose to flow into the blood cell.  If you weren't producing enough insulin, this wouldn't happen, and your BG levels would stay elevated.

adiantum

The weather predictions for christmas day is 28C /  83F ............perfect!!!

This means the beach's will be the destination for  many families & lots of Santa's out surfing.

ran, you got a great deal only paying that to have your lawn mowed.

adiantum

I dont know what just happened.. FBG was 7.2, the   breakfast was the usual  bowl of brusell sprouts with extra virgin olive  oil  & a little butter.

The dog & I walked the block & came home feeling awful..BG was 9.2

Felt strange in heart & brain so returned to bed & a short nap.

Woke at 7.2 again.

That was a crazy 4 hours

ran23

I ended up at a Pizza place, so tried two slices scrapping things off with a fork.   Home, 25 min walk and was 104.  6 hours later, 107 (after Bone Broth and a n egg).    doing something right tonight.

steel

@Hammer thank you very much for the detailed explanation. it was very helpful. it took about 4 hours to go from 8.6 to 4.6, but that 8.6 to 6.9 drop, in the span of an hour, was astonishing. then for it to lower in the 5s in the next hour and 4s in another hour...i couldn't have imagined these numbers after a spike in the 8s.  what you said makes sense...the metformin helping so much even at a fairly small dosage does point to insulin resistance being a big factor. i can imagine BG staying higher for several hours rather than returning to 4.6 in 4 ish hours. it used to happen to me before i went on metformin, on the occasions that i accidentally ate something wrong or was experimenting with a new dish. a spike in the 8s messed up my numbers for the whole day. they just didn't go below 6.4 or so after several hours. i am excited by all the 5s i am seeing. earlier 5s were a rarity. i was so happy to be down  to the 6s, but the 5s are even more encouraging.

thanks again for your helpful response! :wub:

p.s. fasting this morning was 5.1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.