Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

adiantum

2018 Morning FBG tests

meyery2k

94 this morning.

Gail's Mom is getting stronger.  Unfortunately some bypass surgery for her heart is needed when she get stronger.  The belief is that statins slowly damaged her her kidneys over the two years she was taking them.

adiantum

I've been baaad.

I predict the worlds biggest class action will take place over statins.

Edited by adiantum

Hammer

A 63 (3.49) for me today.

I agree with you Lee, I'm just surprised that a class action lawsuit hasn't already been started against statin makers.  When a doctor says that I should be taking a statin, I tell him that I will never take a statin, and that statins should be banned.  When he asks me why I feel that way, I tell him that the side effects of statins are ruining people's lives.  The doctors always come back with, "Well, the good that statins do out way the bad."  I reply, really?  Tell that to the 17% of statin users who have severe joint and muscle pain, can barely walk, develop type 2 diabetes, have global memory loss, and develop fibromyalgia.  Tell THEM how the benefits out way the bad side effects. (I also wonder why doctors insist on giving a type 2 diabetic a drug that can CAUSE type 2 diabetes?)

FunDad62

Not surprised.  I grabbed my Tresiba pen when packing Thursday without looking to see how much was in it only to discover that night when I went to take me 100 units there were only 24 left.  And I had none to take last night.  I'm going home today so I'll have it tonight.

Hammer - what diabetes med are you referring to?  I tried statins 4 or 5 times in the last 20 years and they always made my legs sore so now I take a non-statin med.

Hammer
7 minutes ago, FunDad62 said:

Not surprised.  I grabbed my Tresiba pen when packing Thursday without looking to see how much was in it only to discover that night when I went to take me 100 units there were only 24 left.  And I had none to take last night.  I'm going home today so I'll have it tonight.

Hammer - what diabetes med are you referring to?  I tried statins 4 or 5 times in the last 20 years and they always made my legs sore so now I take a non-statin med.

Fundad, we were talking about statins.  As you yourself have experienced, taking them for just a few days and your legs got sore.  That is one of the side effects that I mentioned.  Others here have had more severe side effects from taking statins, which is why I refuse to take them.  Instead of a statin, I take WelChol, which lowers your cholesterol, lowers your blood glucose levels (they don't know why it does that), and it's side effects include constipation, which for someone like me who has IBS, it helps with that.

I know that some people have taken statins for years with no side effects....yet, and hopefully, they never will.  To me, it's not worth the gamble of possibly not being about to walk very well because of severe joint and muscle pain in my legs, have trouble using my arms because of the joint and muscle pain, developing fibromyalgia, and possibly suffering global memory loss.

The reason that these are the side effects of statins is because statins can lower your cholesterol TOO much.  Your body needs cholesterol for memory function, as well as to give extra support to your cell membranes.  If your cholesterol drops too low, like what can happen when you take statins, there isn't enough cholesterol to help support memory function, so you develop global memory loss.  Fortunately, stopping the statin will allow the person's memory to return.

Your cells need the extra support that cholesterol gives them, and if your cholesterol drops too low, the cell membranes become weak, and when that happens, your muscles and joints can develop pain, pain which in a  lot of the cases, doesn't go away when you stop taking the statin.

I remember reading about statins some time ago, and it said that when statin makers first came out with statins, they were in 5mg and 10mg doses.  To try and outdo each other, the statin makers increased the dose to 20mg, stating that their statins reduced cholesterol by a larger percentage than their competitors.  The competitors then increased their statins to 40mg, and they advertised that their statin reduced cholesterol by an even larger percentage.  Not to be outdone, the competition increased their statin dose to 80mg, advertising that their statin reduced cholesterol by an even larger percentage.  Apparently, what these pharmaceutical companies never bothered to look into, was what happened when you lowered cholesterol too much, and that's why there are severe side effects from taking statins.

janice21475

Hammer, Thanks for the Statin explanation. You helped me understand why it does what it does and have reinforced my resolve to NEVER take one of them.

Merry Christmas everyone!

meyery2k

84 this morning.  Today's matinee will be our final performance.  Gail's Mom went to the rehab hospital yesterday.

adiantum

I wonder if statins are responsible for dementia & Alzheimer.

The two friends I had with it were on statins & a low fat diet & both are in a severe state of mind absences.

On 12/23/2018 at 1:20 AM, Hammer said:

The reason that these are the side effects of statins is because statins can lower your cholesterol TOO much.  Your body needs cholesterol for memory function, as well as to give extra support to your cell membranes.  If your cholesterol drops too low, like what can happen when you take statins, there isn't enough cholesterol to help support memory function, so you develop global memory loss.