Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

adiantum

2018 Morning FBG tests

adiantum

7.2 after a broken nights sleep .

Went to bed at midnight which is late for me these days.

The dog's barking woke me at stupid o'clock, so instead of  investigating I went to the loo.

15 minutes past stupid o'clock he woke me again barking.

A girl could hurt herself falling off  the loo while sleeping 

steel

5.3 this morning

95ish uh..it was 4.9 at bedtime. but i guess stuff happens.

good enough for me tho :P considering where i was just 3 months back.

a question..so i am trying atkins lemon protein bar and suzie's good fats protein bar. i eat about half the bar. sometimes, my blood sugar goes up 0.2 points and then goes back down to pre meal levels in an hour after eating these. i am guessing this wouldn't be considered a spike? it could even be meter variance or something i wonder. 

second, i've been working out a lil more aggressively and have leveled up from walk at home videos. i notice my BG goes up after these workouts. they are not too tough or anything but i do some high impact stuff like jumping jacks for 20 seconds etc. and modify as needed. yesterday i was 5.4 two hours after a meal. i checked after the workout which was right after the 2 hour pp check. and i went up from 5.4 to 6.1. i think it might have been a liver dump, because i hadn't tackled this level of strenuousness for my body since the recent illness. i checked an hour later, and it was 5.1. to convince my liver not to freak out, i ate some almonds and cheese.

does anyone else goes up from exercise?

adiantum

These last few years my BG elevates greatly after strenuous  workouts even if I nibble on cheese & olives during the sessions.

stupid o'clock is when my eyes are too sleepy to read the time on the clock..its a stupid time to be up .:D

1 hour ago, ran23 said:

'stupid o'clock', love it. 

meyery2k
2 hours ago, steel said:

5.3 this morning

a question..so i am trying atkins lemon protein bar and suzie's good fats protein bar. i eat about half the bar. sometimes, my blood sugar goes up 0.2 points and then goes back down to pre meal levels in an hour after eating these. i am guessing this wouldn't be considered a spike? it could even be meter variance or something i wonder. 

second, i've been working out a lil more aggressively and have leveled up from walk at home videos. i notice my BG goes up after these workouts. they are not too tough or anything but i do some high impact stuff like jumping jacks for 20 seconds etc. and modify as needed. yesterday i was 5.4 two hours after a meal. i checked after the workout which was right after the 2 hour pp check. and i went up from 5.4 to 6.1. i think it might have been a liver dump, because i hadn't tackled this level of strenuousness for my body since the recent illness. i checked an hour later, and it was 5.1. to convince my liver not to freak out, i ate some almonds and cheese.

My own observations when cycling have been mixed.  If I ride for less than 2 hours, I don't see much change, or a slight rise.  Like you, I suspect I am dumping glucose that my muscles use.

Longer rides of 2 hours or more, I will generally be in the high 70's or low 80's if I don't eat anything.  I have also noticed they give me a little more leeway on eating.  I sometimes will stop at a place known for fish and chips and if I test 2 hours after (if I have my stuff) then I am usually about where I started.  I have read working muscles can uptake glucose without insulin so I guess it just burns it up and then I start breaking down fat.

Interestingly, if I eat a meal with a lot of fat (Chinese Roast Pork comes to mind), I do get a burst of energy that, while not as pronounced as the carbs from the fish and chips, lasts longer.  I find I prefer the fat rush to the carb rush.

Hammer
17 hours ago, steel said:

5.3 this morning

Steel, if your BG levels are in the normal range before you exercise, they will increase as you exercise.  This happens because your muscles need fuel to do the exercise, so your liver releases more glucose to accommodate your muscles.  If your glucose levels are higher than normal, then there is already enough glucose in your blood stream to accommodate your muscles, so your muscles will use up that extra glucose and your BG levels will typically drop....not to mention that exercising also lowers your insulin resistance, thereby allowing more glucose that's in your blood stream, to enter your blood cells, so there will be less excess glucose just floating around in your blood stream.(when you do a finger prick test, you are reading that excess glucose that's floating around in your blood stream.)

steel

@meyery2k saying 5.1ish is more accurate lol and thank you...i honestly didn't think metformin was going to do much, at a small dose at that. it's got my fasting down by 1 point and pp numbers improved too. i am glad this medicine exists.

Kit

102 here for another no good reason,.

Spent the entire day from opening to closing at the zoo with a friend and her brother that was in town for the holidays.  Had a lot of fun.  Didn't see very many animals with the wind and rain, but had a blast.  Put in almost double my minimum step goal before getting home.

20181229_141647.thumb.jpg.ee75af64bb54c4fd66c33ea05a9fa6cb.jpg

Oh every animal my friend tried to take a picture of, a duck photo bombed the image.  Serious, we were looking at the hippos and I was just about to comment that there were no ducks when one of them came screaming into the hippo pond with a look on its face like sorry I'm late.  :)

adiantum

Diana your 111 looked like cricket stumps to me.

Ive sat here in this heat watching cricket for the past 5 days & enjoyed the reprieve if not the result.

I dont like days exceeding 100F anymore.it must be an age thing.

Loved the duck story Kit. It was a good day for ducks to be out.

Diana_CT

This morning's reading was a dismal 146 and I didn't eat anything out of the ordinary I think it was a case of of the dreaded DP.

Yesterday I went for a walk with a friend at Hammonasset State Park, we walked down to Meigs Point. The park is on the shore of Long Island Sound. It was an overcast day that blended the sky and the water.

DSC_0909-HDR-1.jpg