Diabetes forums
Sign in to follow this  
Hammer

Cordless stick vacuum cleaners

Hammer

I was thinking of getting a cordless stick vacuum cleaner, something like this, and was wondering if anyone has one or a recommendation for one?  I don't like Dyson, so that's one brand that I won't buy, so does anyone have any recommendations for other brands or models?

dowling gram

I don't have a stick vacuum but I have a Shark upright vacuum. It is light weight and has swivel action with suction that rivals Dyson but is much much cheaper. It doesn't take bags and has an easy removal and dumping of the  collection canister. It's not cordless but that doesn't bother me. I'd hate to want to vacuum only to find I hadn't charged it. They do make a stick vacuum but I've never tried it. If I were you  go to a place that carries a good selection and try them out. I do know that Shark would be the first one I'd try. I'm very satisfied with my Shark

Edited by dowling gram

Hammer

Thanks for the input here Dowling Gram!  The thing is, I want a cordless vacuum because I want to pick it up and vacuum small spots, not the whole house.  I have used an upright vacuum in the past, and I didn't care for it, but with a cordless vacuum, it would be easier to maneuver, and it wouldn't have cords to get in my way.  The Hoover models have easily removable batteries that you need to place in a recharger.  You don't charge the battery in the unit, which makes it easy to have more than one battery charged up.(one battery in the vacuum and one battery in the charger.)  I have looked at different brands and models for cordless stick vacuums, but I don't know what might be a good choice, but again, thanks for replying.

adiantum

My stick vacuum is with cord. I think theyre great for small jobs like if youve dropped small  items like test strips or to clean small areas like under the table etc.

The problem I have is in its storage & making it stand on the pin pint nozzle.

That nozzle eventually pushed its way through the shaft. I shouldve stored it on the wider nozzle.

OK...here's where I mimicked Hammer.. they were on sale at $16 each so I bought 7 :))) 

sold & gave 4  away

NoraWI

My son swears by his Shark vacuum cleaner. He used it on my rug and it came up with a lot that was left behind by the little Eureka canister that I have. It is also appealing because it doesn't use bags, which are a great nuisance. It is lightweight and swivels, but it does have a cord. If I were in the market for a new vacuum cleaner, I would buy a Shark.

Whatever happened to the old fashioned mechanical non-electric sweeper? They were perfect for very small areas. I think I would like one of those, especially this time of year when the dog tracks in everything from leaves to firewood droppings and, of course, leaves her hair behind, too.

notme

You may not like Dyson, but my Dyson is amazing.  It hangs flush on the wall in a closet, has two very strong speeds and is simple to empty and clean.  

I would not give up my Dyson V8 Animal+.  It has attachments that hang on the base and extension comes off easily and is useable in the car.  Love it.  

JohnSchroeder

I just bought a shark vacuum a few days ago.  Loving it.

Hammer, whatever you go with, just make sure they sell replacement batteries.  I have a battery powered weed whacker for the lawn.  Worked great for two years, then the battery stopped holding a charge.  Imagine the same could happen with a vacuum cleaner.

NoraWI

I've had to buy new entire sets of cordless drills/screwdrivers because replacement batteries cost more than a whole new set. So look at that, too.

Hammer

I have looked into replacing the batteries, which is why I mentioned the Hoover cordless vacuums....they do have replaceable batteries.  I don't care for Dyson, because a friend of mine when to have her vacuum cleaner serviced, and when she spoke to the serviceman, she said that she wanted to get a better vacuum cleaner, and she was looking at the Dyson models.  The serviceman told he that she should look somewhere else, because the Dyson vacuums broke down a lot.  He said that he could take her into the back of his shop, and most of the vacuums there to be repaired, were Dyson's, because they were constantly breaking down.  Considering the cost of a Dyson, you would think that they would be more durable, but apparently, that's not the case.  It's my opinion that Dyson tries to make products that are unusual, but that doesn't mean that they are great.  Their so called bladeless fan, is nothing more that an air knife that we had at the factory that I worked at, only their bladeless fan is in a circular arrangement.  To me, Dyson is offering up products that nobody wants, at very high prices, and that don't last....I mean, what's wrong with the lower priced, regular vacuum cleaners or fans?  Who wants to pay $250 for a bladeless fan, when you can buy a regular fan for $30?

Notme, when your Dyson has a full charge, how long does it run when using the powerhead set to maximum depth, to vacuum up the carpet?  I have read that it only last 7 minutes, is that right?

Anyway, I appreciate all of the suggestions fo far, since that was what I had asked for.

macksvicky

I have 2 Sharks, one is a full sized upright and the other is a stick. Both are corded but they both have a feature where you can push a button and it comes apart to use the top part as a hand held to use for mini spot cleaning and for furniture. It's like getting two vacuums in one.

I'll never use anything other than a Shark. Awesome cleaning power, I actually enjoy vacuuming now!

adiantum

I detest vacuuming... it hurts my back.

A friend uses  a hairdressers swivel stool to sit on while vacuuming.. I bought one but havnt used it for that yet.

I find it hard to get a vacuum that picks up dog hair. I run a deck brush or outside broom over the carpet to collect the hair.

I'll see if Sharks are in Australia :D

macksvicky

Sharks will pick up dog hair wonderfully well. I tested when I got the first Shark. I vacuumed the daylights out of the carpets with my old commercial vacuum. Then I ran the shark over the living room...OMG I had to empty the dust bin twice just doing the living room. I had enough hair in there to make 2 more dogs. How that dog isn't bald is beyond me.

adiantum

I think there must be another dog under the bed in  the spare room, as that brush moves a lot of hair from under it.

Its either another dog that Ive not met yet or my boy is using the base of it to scratch his back.

OK I'll look for a Shark

FOUND :  https://www.binglee.com.au/shark-hv320anz-rocket-truepet-upright-vacuum

Edited by adiantum

TX_Clint

Well.. I have a Shark but I rarely ever use it. My doggy doesn't shed and the weekly maid brings her own. 

macksvicky

That's the one I have Lee. I love that I can use it on stairs, just the right size and it's a very light vacuum. About 8 pounds so not so heavy to lift. Dog hair won't stand a chance against it. LOL It also goes under furniture very well.

adiantum

I thought of that too Clint... but the going rate used to be  $50 for 2hrs cleaning so it might work out cheaper to fork out that $249 for a vacuum & do my own.

1 hour ago, TX_Clint said:

the weekly maid brings her own

TX_Clint

That’s about the right price. But I get both baths scrubbed down, kitchen cleaned good, vacuuming, dusting etc.. since my wife is handicapped and can’t do any cleaning, cooking etc.. I enjoy having the help.

adiantum

"I hate housework" just doesnt seem to be  the same justification.

1 hour ago, TX_Clint said:

That’s about the right price. But I get both baths scrubbed down, kitchen cleaned good, vacuuming, dusting etc.. since my wife is handicapped and can’t do any cleaning, cooking etc.. I enjoy having the help.

I used to have a 90yr old neighbour & I did like her style as she worked in the garden while the cleaner cleaned the house.

notme

I have had my Dyson for two years and I have had no issues.  I purchased it at Costco for about 350.00 not exactly sure.  But from Costco you can just take it back if it doesn’t perform so, I went for it.  It lasts approximately 25 to 30 minutes on a charge.  I love the convenience and how small it is.  

Hey, to each his own.  I love it.  

Jacky65

everyone has it's own experience. I know a lot of people who don't like Dyson.
But now they move to the electrolux i9 pure Vacuum and they are happy with that.
Have you ever tried it or have other opinion about that vacuum. I heard that it is the best house Cleaning equipment.

dowling gram
On 1/5/2018 at 12:25 PM, macksvicky said:

I have 2 Sharks, one is a full sized upright and the other is a stick. Both are corded but they both have a feature where you can push a button and it comes apart to use the top part as a hand held to use for mini spot cleaning and for furniture. It's like getting two vacuums in one.

I'll never use anything other than a Shark. Awesome cleaning power, I actually enjoy vacuuming now!

I second Shark vacuums. Mine has a cord but it's the best vacuum I've ever owned. It has as much suction as Dyson at less than half the price, is light weight and easy to empty. It has a beater bar for carpets but can be used without them so you can do all types of flooring. Mine also comes apart to use as a hand held vacuum. I've had mine for 4 years with no problems. I'll never buy any other brand of vacuum but a Shark

ran23

Regarding Batteries, check ebay or something for battery that will fit it.  Craftsman 19.2v batts are $$,  off brand are more power and half the price

Jacky65
On 9/13/2018 at 11:01 AM, Jacky65 said:

everyone has it's own experience. I know a lot of people who don't like Dyson.
But now they move to the electrolux i9 pure Vacuum and they are happy with that.
Have you ever tried it or have other opinion about that vacuum. I heard that it is the best house Cleaning equipment.

Does Electrolux is better Vacuum cleaner for Car.

Edited by Jacky65