Diabetes forums
raffi

2018 To boldly go biking

raffi

Another year, another thread.

Yesterday, it was cold (low to mid 20s) with icy fog. I just couldn't motivate myself for my new years day ride. :(

This morning, the weather is the same AND it's dark, but I did manage to commute into work. Not sure what that says about me, but it was easier to come up with the motivation for the commute.

Hopefully, everyone else is getting a good start to the year.

ORjt

Hi all,

A good end (to '17) and a good start (for '18) for me.  21 miles on the 30th - ended with a a paltry 1344 miles on the year. More-or-less 300 miles off each of the last 3 years. On the bright side, had more miles in December than in Jan/Feb combined.  And then out for another 21 miles on the 1st, to kick off the new year.  Weather was pretty decent on the 30th - a lot of overcast, with peeks of blue sky, temps hovering around 45. Jan 1 was colder (hovering around 40), but beautiful clear blue skies.  We had snow, then rain for that last week, so it was nice to end the month on a better note. (I had the week off from work, so that didn't hurt either).

Santa brought a couple of bike-themed goodies - a pair of Showers Pass waterproof socks; and a new accelerometer based rear tail light.  The socks are great - I typically don't ride in the rain, but can pick up a lot of road spray - and they are warm, too (essentially wind-proof) .  The tail light is pretty cool - it senses deceleration and then will get brighter (and go to 'solid' if it's flashing mode).

Here's to a better year for us all - and stay safe out there!

JT

rwallen

Hi all!  Happy New Year!!

meyery2k, congrats on your accomplishment.  I think you've been "kickn' it" during your first year.

I was right on my 5500 miles but I just barely made it.  While I am disappointed that I didn't make my goal of 7200 miles I know that, first of all, it was all my fault.  The really disappointing thing is that I missed 173 days of cycling.  That's almost half the year.  I resolved to get back at it in 2018 and even though I haven't been outside, I have been riding the spin bike.  So technically, I haven't missed a day yet this year. :) 

JT, congrats on the gear.  I may have to check out the socks.  I bought my aero bars before Christmas but don't really count them as a Christmas gift.  I was looking at buying a rear derailleur tool and a will definitely be buying a Luci lantern.  If you haven't seen them, you ought to check them out.  

I guess that's about it for now.

Take care!

Rick

meyery2k

First weekend of 2018 and I felt the need to push myself a little.  I had been slacking a little.  I was putting on the miles but staying close to home which is no adventure.  Cycling is learning to depend on myself, to push myself past what I think I can do and maybe even a little more than that.

Today's journey (chronicled in Daily Chat) was 116 miles.  The most in one day.  A little over 9 hours in the saddle.  It started as a rainy 67F day (I know, nothing like on the mainland, lol).  I don't like getting wet but I don't mind being wet so once the process occurs and the annoyance wears off I can ride in the rain just fine.

My bike and I performed great.  Coming home with 20 miles left I had to dig down and pull some reserves.  I was in that everything hurt and I am tired mode but I powered through it.  No way I am taking the ride of shame with only 20 left.  I made the mistake of putting chamois butter on my behind at that point and I should have left well enough alone because the pain was pretty intense for about 15 minutes.  I guess I was in a mode of equilibrium and didn't know it.

Ride safe everyone!

Sprockets

I finished 2017 with 1456 miles.  About a third was singletrack mountain biking.  This year's goal is 2500 miles.

Bought myself a new road bike for my birthday in December.  A 2018 Giant Deft Advanced 1.  Not super high-end, but all carbon and a mix of Ultegra and 105 components.  Also ride a Giant Anthem.

Sprockets
5 hours ago, meyery2k said:

@Sprockets - Those look like interesting bikes.

Thanks.  I had an older aluminum Giant OCR compact.  The new Defy is a nice setup with a good component mix for the pricepoint.  Only place they really went cheap was on the cranks.

ORjt

Hi all,

Meyery2k - nice work!  Yeah, your rain isn't like our rain :) .  

Sprockets: good job!  I see a lot of Giant bikes around; they seem to get good reviews.  I don't imagine the crankset would make much difference in the shifting performance.   My commuter (a Felt 'cross bike) is somewhat similar - down-spec FSA cranks, 105 shifters, and Ultegra F/R derailleurs. Shifting isn't radically different than the other two, which are both full Ultegra.  I notice a lot more difference in the brakes, actually. (Tektro canti's on the Felt, then U6700 (10sp) on one bike, and the best of the lot - U6800 (11-sp) on the other.)  None of those are *bad*, but the U6800's are noticeably *much* better.

I got out for 21 miles on Saturday. Nothing remarkable - just a nice winter ride (40F on the bike).  Three day weekend coming up, and the forecast so far looks promising. We'll see if the weather holds out ..

Stay safe out there!

JT

lgvincent

I've got no thermal kits so it's too cold for me to ride right now.  I had intended to buy some but with my accident, I've got to take care of medical bills before I can get the bike repaired, and then I hope I can maybe buy some thermal kits perhaps next winter. 

Edited by lgvincent

Sprockets

Rode 30 miles on the road last Thursday night with a large group from my local shop.  15 miles of roots, stumps, mud, twists and turns on my Giant Anthem yesterday.  Up to 81 year to date.

Sprockets

Another 12 miles of urban riding on my mountain bike today.  Played around in a construction area riding on some ramps and dirt piles and a few parking garages in downtown Orlando.  Fund ride, about 55 degrees and sunny.

raffi

Igvincent,

Riding cold weather is easier than I expected. Depending on how cold it gets in your area, just an extra layer might be all you need. Hands and feet are what you need to keep warm as they simply will not do well in the cooler temperatures. Your core will stay amazingly warm with the exercise .

If you live where there is snow and ice, studded tires will keep you reasonably safe.If you don't have snow and ice, then you probably really only need gloves and an extra shirt or light jacket.

So far I've been doing more traveling and when I've been home, we've been having storms, so not many miles yet. I did manage a 22 mile ride yesterday. It was over 40 degrees, so quite comfortable and the lack of either rain or snow was nice. Even though it's been wet, the roads were not all that soft.

rwallen

Good morning all!

Hope everyone's year is off to a good start!

I think I am back on track, whatever that is.  While I have missed a few days and I have been riding the spin bike more than I have been getting outside, I think I am mentally back to a place where I can get serious about riding again.  I am still reevaluating my goals.  I want to make 2018 more about adventure and fun while keeping the number one priority about health.  I will still focus some on the mileage because for me, it is still some sort of measure of achievement.  I would still like to get to a place of being able to ride long, daily mileages, comfortably but it won't be a high priority since I can't commit the time to riding 100+ miles each day, or for that matter, on the weekends.

I bought tickets to a bike expo in St. Louis that happened Sunday.  I was looking forward to being in that environment, surrounded by other cyclists and bikes, and enjoying the 3 1/2 hour ride each way by myself, Unfortunately, the weather didn't cooperate and I turned around about 60 miles from home.  I felt the conditions were becoming too unsafe for me.  It was kind of a let down.  It's this time of year that I start getting antsy to be back outside riding.  I'm glad to see that some of you have been able to do that and I continue to marvel at some of the conditions that raffi gets out in.  I can still squeeze into some of my gear but I think I will not get out in as cold of temps that I have done in the past.

Everyone take care and be safe if you do get out.

Oh, btw, I had a friend get hit while riding the Natchez Trace a few weeks ago.  She is ok and is back in Springfield but she's pretty messed up.  She has a broken pelvis and a few bones in her back amongst other things.

raffi

It's a bit depressing how quickly you can lose fitness when life keeps you off the bike for a week or so. This morning's commute in was a lot harder than it should have been. Still, it was very warm (for January) and a pleasant ride.

Dave_KC

I do more walking than biking, and hit over 12,000 steps.  Ultimately it's best to have some type of exercise going, whether biking, walking or other.  

meyery2k

I like walking but it takes too long lol...

I HATE running.  I love cycling.  I will ride my bike 2 hours plus for 30+ miles to not run 3 or 4 miles in 30 minutes.  How's that for lack of sense?

I do switch up and run once in a while but cycling is my passion.

raffi

When someone suggests I run, my first questions is who/what is chasing me? That's about the only thing that will get me running. :)

Given that, it seems very reasonable to bike for over 2 hours to ovoid almost any amount of running.

rwallen

Hi all,

Got out today on the "touring" bike because she has fenders.  The roads are wet and still messy in some places but I mainly had to only deal with the wet.  Temps were around the mid 50s.

betty.jpg

rwallen

meyery2k,

Impressive!  Great start to a new year!  Even if we had the weather you have, I don't know that I would be at that place!  Great job!

ORjt

Hi all,

Just a quick check-in - 

No riding for the last couple of weeks - came down with some sort of nasty respiratory crud (just before the 3-day weekend, which coincided with gorgeous weather. Don't it figure?). Rain last weekend, and I still feel like I'm in recovery mode (Not sick, but not well, either - )

Raffi - your comment about running got a laugh - I feel the same way.

As to cold weather - yeah, depending on temps it doesn't necessarily take a lot of extra kit. I've found that compression tops/bottoms designed for running (ha!) can be reasonably inexpensive and make good base layers ..

Rick - sorry to hear about your friend - hope she heals quickly and well.

--JT (who is looking forward to better weather ...)

Sprockets

18 mile urban mountain bike ride last night.  It was a social ride with about a 13mph pace.  The last Thursday of the month the group (about 50 last night) makes a stop at a brewery on the way back to the shop.  Makes more for an interesting 1.5 mile sprint back!  Upper 40's last night and breezy.  Glad I remembered the leg warmers.

Tonight is Critical Mass Orlando.  More debauchery and a 12 mile mountain bike ride around downtown.

ORjt

Hi all,

Well, things mostly came together this weekend.  Errands to do (and got done) on Saturday, with a promise of a (mostly) dry Sunday.  Down to the basement to get the commuter ready to roll, only to find the front tire smitten by the flat fairy.  Found a pinhole in the tube, with no noticeable cause. I hate flats, and especially ones like that.

Anyhow - stuck in a new tube, and got out for a pretty slow paced 24 miles.  Weather was decent - ~54F on the bike, little breeze, and no rain.  The road leading past the wetlands was closed due to flooding - first time this year.  Scofflaw that I am, I squeaked past the barricades, and rode till I got to the flooding, then turned around.  (I'm not stupid, just enjoying a bit of totally car-free riding).

First of two eye-doc appt's this morning - (still) no signs of diabetic retinopathy. Yay!  I go back on Thursday for the vision exam (today's was the medical exam).  For some mysterious reason - insurance will no longer allow both appt's on the same day. Sheesh.

Hope you all had a good weekend.

Stay safe out there!

JT