Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

raffi

2018 To boldly go biking

raffi

It was in the 40s for my ride in this morning with the temps expected to hit 50 by this afternoon. Even though I was feeling a bit poorly this morning, there was no way I was going to skip a January day this nice.

meyery2k

1000 km this month.  I wanted it bad enough to actually do it.  I did the last 40 miles tonight riding in the dark.  I wanted to complete 1000km on the 30th so I couldn't use the extra day as a reason to cruise lol...

raffi

meyery2k, Great job. I'd love to be able to do 1000km in January. That would make for a great year.

January miles were OK, not  great, but good enough. So far things are warmer than usual and a little wet. I'm hoping that it will make for a reasonably good spring as far as miles go.

This morning's commute was supposed to be in the low 30s and dry. It was in the mid to upper 30s and drizzling. Not too bad for early February.

ORjt

Hi all,

meyery2k: yeah, what raffi said. Nice work!

Was able to get out Saturday for a nice 21 mile spin (on the commuter, so it's really not so much spin, as it is .... work). A few riders out and about, and the road by the wetlands was open again. Not sure why, but I like this route more as a loop than an out-and-back.  Weather was quite good - ~50ish, little breeze, patches of blue sky (rather than peeks ..). Mrs ORjt asked me to stay off the roads on Sunday (potentially too many drunks before, during, and after the S'bowl), so I did. 

Bit of a dryish spell for the next week to 10 days (at least as of last night - this time of year, it could pretty much change any time). If that holds, I'll bust out one of the nicer bikes for the weekend. (Roads are still quite dirty, so any precip also yields a fair amount of 'slop' that gets thrown onto me, and the drive train, on the bikes w/o fenders)

And ... spring really is around the corner. Don't know what the PNW groundhog said, but we have bulbs that are coming up, some little field violets that are blooming, and the lilac is starting to set buds ....

(This winter was supposed to be colder/wetter.  Instead, the temps have been normal to slightly warm, and precip has been normal to a bit low - the ski resorts on Mt Hood have not had a good year - that may bode poorly for the coming summer; we rely on snow pack to supply a certain amount of water over the dry(er) month(s). )

Stay safe out there!

JT

rwallen

Hi all,

Nothing new to report.  Feb. isn't going a lot better than January.  However, I typically miss a few days during these months.  Also, my number of bike rides have been lower because I am choosing not to get out in as cold as temperatures as I have done in the past.  So, I have been on the spin bike a lot but not for as long as I have done before.  It has really been causing me a sore butt and I have made adjustments and changed out saddles.  I guess I should invest in a  trainer but I probably won't.  Anyway, I'm not sure my focus should be on the riding as much as it should be on my eating and dropping a few lbs.  Of course, the cycling helps but I have a few habits I need to correct. :)   I'm not whining and I haven't thrown in the towel.  I'll pick up the pace in a month or so and get back into the swing.  The ride I'm doing in June, I'm debating on whether to ride to it from home or a little bit closer to the start.  I'm sure that won't please my wife or if I can even take off more time at work but the ride is with a group and I think I would like a few days alone.

Take care!

Sprockets

Just back from a 26.2 mile ride.  84 degrees today here in Central Florida.  It was hot and windy!  Just checked and I'm at 231 miles this year.  Not as much as many others but I'm happy with the effort!

ORjt

Hi all,

Rick - hang in there!

Sprockets: nice work - if you're happy, it's good.

Got out for 21 miles on Saturday - cool (~45) but nice - quite a fair amount of blue sky, and some funny orb in the sky.  Bit breezy, but nowhere near 'character building'.  Lots of folks out riding - by my count, I saw >30, mostly single riders or small groups (of 2 or 3). It had been nice (ie, not wet) all week, so I busted out the Ti bike :D

More signs of spring - lots of our bulbs are coming up; and I've started to see some color in daffodils (not blooming yet, but not too far away).  We're supposed to have some cold overnight temps; but hopefully not enough to do damage.

Sunday was nice enough to ride again, but had other things to do - including some yard work. (So at least I was outside, getting some exercise ...)

Stay safe out there!

JT

raffi

The last two mornings, temps have been in the teens. While this is reasonably normal for this time of year, given that last week the lows were in the 40s (or high 30s), it came as a bit of a shock. Keeping the toes warm enough has been a challenge.

ORjt

Hi all,

Raffi - speaking of warm toes - that's off and on been an issue for me. Big honkin' feet (13 US, 48/49 EU), I've had very liittle luck finding overshoes or booties that fit.  I got, instead, a pair of Showers Pass 'waterproof' socks this winter. Huge difference. (Expensive, but for me, worth it; should last many seasons, and won't get torn up by walking).  I haven't tried the water proofiness (other than road spray),  but they are windproof ( they aren't advertised as 'windproof', but I sure don't feel any breeze getting through them ) enough to add a really nice thermal block.  Slightly thicker than a nice thick wool sock, but not enough to have been an issue with fitting in the shoes.

Stay safe out there!

JT

raffi

Since I'm wearing boots treated to be waterproof, two pairs of socks, one wool, and neoprene toe covers with a chemical warmer added to the mix, I don't think any wind is getting in. I think I have really sensitive toes.

Sprockets

Rode 34.6 miles solo yesterday.  It was freaking 88 degrees out.  Not used to that!  I was pretty wiped out.

Up to 291 miles ytd now.

meyery2k

Weather has stopped riding.  Rainy and stormy.  I also had to work on the holiday.  Good time for Fiare to get tuned up and overhauled.  Can't wait to get her back.  New brake and shifter cables, gets taken apart, inspected,fixed if needed, and put back together.

meyery2k

Picked up Fiare from her tune up and rode her home.  The shifting was just "WOW!".  New cables and housings.  New rear brake pads.  Bottom bracket looked good.  Hubs in good shape.  Headset in good order.

I also got 2 stars on my ticket for having a clean drive train. :)  I always get the comment that I use too much lube on the chain but I guess I figured it out finally.

While Fiare still has lots of miles left to give me, I did spy my next bike lol...  To buy a new bike now would seem unfaithful.  Strange how some of us get attached to our bikes.  Who knows?  Maybe I will never buy a new bike and just keep upgrading Fiare.

Sprockets
10 hours ago, meyery2k said:

Picked up Fiare from her tune up and rode her home.  The shifting was just "WOW!".  New cables and housings.  New rear brake pads.  Bottom bracket looked good.  Hubs in good shape.  Headset in good order.

I also got 2 stars on my ticket for having a clean drive train. :)  I always get the comment that I use too much lube on the chain but I guess I figured it out finally.

While Fiare still has lots of miles left to give me, I did spy my next bike lol...  To buy a new bike now would seem unfaithful.  Strange how some of us get attached to our bikes.  Who knows?  Maybe I will never buy a new bike and just keep upgrading Fiare.

That's why I now have 4 bikes sitting in my living room!  Getting the bike tuned and cables replaced makes it nearly new.  I also have a Park chain cleaning tool.  What a difference that makes!

Rode 20 miles on my mountain bike last night around the city with a group of about 45.  Stopped at a brewery about 18 miles in for a pit stop.  Up to 311 ytd.

ORjt

Hi all,

Sprockets: 88 in Feb? Where are you?

Meyery2k: SO, with that tease, what are you looking at?  I think we all get attached to our bikes -we spend so much time with them. (Three, in my herd)

We had a switch back to winter - rain, then snow the previous weekend and most of last week.  Just enough snow to look really nice; not so much to really impact driving/work (we really don't have the infrastructre <PDX area> to deal with much snow on the ground); and, it's been cold.

However, we did have a nice break in the weather on Saturday - sun with clouds, not too cold (~45F), but very breezy - about 15mph. Almost, but not quite to 'character building' levels. Got out for 21 miles (headwind out, tailwind back). Got home, changed, went back downstairs to clean the chain, as it had gotten quite grimy. Got done, only to find the rear tire almost flat. Sheesh - that's twice visited by the flat fairy so far this year. Enough! Oh well - at least it was at home ...

Stay safe out there!

JT

meyery2k

You know I don't remember the model but it was basically a Specialized like the one I own now with a full carbon frame and better drivetrain equipment.

While I was interested, I think for now I will stick with Fiare.  Even Chris was saying this would probably be down the road since she is in great shape right now.

rwallen

Good morning all,

Not a lot to report.  I was on vacation the week before last and my wife and I rode once on the Legacy Trail in Sarasota Fl.   It was on rented bikes.  Last week I was on jury duty for 3 days.  So, I am still getting acclimated to work and didn't get a lot of riding in over the last 2 weeks.  Yesterday day was gorgeous here and I ended up working late enough that I couldn't get in a ride in and I didn't feel much like riding the spin bike.

Meyery2k, as far as owning more than one bike.  I kinda feel (felt) like you.  However, my cross bike is set up for touring.  Even empty she's still a little heavy with the racks and fenders.  I got to the point that I wanted to experience a lighter bike and one without a bunch of stuff on it, and I didn't want to remove any of the accessories on Betty.  So, I bought a road bike.  I also bought it so that I might be able to use is as a bikepacking bike.  So, I again loaded it up but with accessories that can be easily removed.  However, I leave the frame bag and feed bag on it all of the time.  With all of that said, I did end up buying another bike over the weekend.  :) I bought a used Motobecane road bike.  I'm uncertain of the year but I have some work I need to do to it before I can ride it.  Once I get it going, I will only put a seat bag on it.  It came with a lot of accessories.  So, I felt like I could sell them and come out alright on it. 

That's about all I got.  Still not riding much and still not dieting. :(  But I expect to turn things around soon.

Take care!

Rick

raffi

After faking us out with 50 degree days in mid February, the weather turned nasty and very winter like. While I don't mind riding in single digits, I don't have the equipment to commute into work in those temperatures. I just can't keep the toes warm for that long.

I did try to get a ride in on Saturday, we were having a winter weather advisory and I was looking forward to taking the fatbike out in the snow storm. Unfortunately, just a little ways from home, my shifter gave up the ghost and not wanting to do 14 miles in 1st gear, I just returned home.

The LBS did a great job of putting things back together yesterday and the roads were still better suited for the fatbike than for the 29er, so I commuted in this morning. The temperatures were mid teens, but things were going well until about 4 miles from work when my chain broke. I did have what I needed with me to put things back together, but the extra 15 or 20 minutes took a toll on me. By the time I got to work, the toes were in pretty bad shape and the warm shower not only hurt the extremities but caused me some discomfort (lots of itching as things warmed back up) all over my body.

meyery2k

Finally the rain cleared and I am mostly finished with a big wiring project so I was able to ride this weekend.  56 miles over Friday and today.  Fiare is running GREAT after being tuned up.  I forgot how she ran when new.

Her Schwalbe Marathon tires and inserts (I forget exactly what they are) deflected this broken drill bit I picked up.  There was this horrible "tak tak tak" sound and, when I found this, I was sad that my long run of no flats was at an end.  I pulled the bit out and no hissing.  I rode home expecting to change the tube and pump up but the tire gauge showed no loss.

28661213_10208746095489427_2415904932924561327_n.thumb.jpg.7b225c368ebbc16a32c2073385a8e68d.jpg

ORjt

Hi all,

Rick - you'll have to share a photo of the new acquisition :)

Weather here (PDX) has been decent for this time of year - hopefully winter's really over.  Got out for 21 miles on the Ti bike on Saturday.  ~45F, little breeze, nice sun breaks (but still a lot of cloud).

Meyery2k - wow. Just wow.  The flat I had the previous weekend? Tiny steel sliver, ~1/4" by just about nothing, poking squarely into the tire (Conti Gatorskin, normally a pretty robust tire). Found the rim tape has slipped/stretched a bit, so I'll get that replaced likely this weekend (this was on the commuter).

Stay safe out there!

JT

rwallen

Hi all,

As usual, not much to report.  JT, attached is a picture of the new bike. I was too hasty in purchasing it and didn't realize that the Motobecane quality had decrease since the early years.  Still, I didn't think it was a bad purchase until I realized what all it needed.  Even as a parts bike, I'm not sure that I did very well. :(

newbike.jpg

meyery2k

Looks good.  What is wrong with it?

181 miles logged for March.  Trying to make up for a dismal 250 for February (weather) so I can hit 5,000 miles this year.  I had over 600 miles in January so I do have a little wriggle room.

raffi

Improving weather did let me get a commute and a half in this week. This Saturday is looking good as well.

ORjt

Hi all,

Rick - agreed with Meyery2k - looks nice, so I presume there are other issues?  Hopefully, it'll work out in your favor.

On Saturday, among other errands, ran by the LBS with the rear wheel from the commuter.  10 minutes, and $4.75 later, a new rim tape was installed. The old (factory) tape had slipped a smidge and had uncovered an edge of one of the spoke holes.  I know from past experience, that's a recipe for a spate of flats.  Now, if I can just recover enough morning light, I'll be able to start commute season.

Sunday was gorgeous - wall to wall sunshine, low 60's. Bit of breeze.  Out for 28 miles (Ti bike).  Really nice day for a bike ride. Not quite shorts weather, at least for me, but neither was it 'polar bear' weather. Lots of stuff starting to bloom.

Stay safe out there!

JT

adiantum

I thought   you folk  might like to see the Australian " incidental"  road rules that was published today   ...

Don't drive close to cyclists

Since late 2016, it's law that motorists give a minimum of 1 metre when passing cyclists on the road when the speed limit is 60kph.

If the speed limit is above 60kph, then the minimum gap is 1.5 metres.

Fine: $378 and three demerit points

Don't ride a bike without a bell

You wouldn't drive a car without a horn, would you?

No, you wouldn't, and the same goes for bikes. It's illegal to ride a bike without a bell, horn, or similar warning device.

In the 12-month period, 66 cyclists were stung with infringement notices over it.

On the subject of bikes, here's a few more things you shouldn't do with it — ride it without brakes, hold onto a moving vehicle, or carry more people than the bike's meant for.

Fine: $126

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-03-13/rules-of-road-you-may-not-be-aware-of-qld/9539468