Diabetes forums
raffi

2018 To boldly go biking

meyery2k
adiantum
2 hours ago, adiantum said:

I thought   you folk  might like to see the Australian " incidental"  road rules that was published today  

Don't ride a bike without a bell

You wouldn't drive a car without a horn, would you?

Sorry... Can you delete my post then.

I thought the  dont ride without a bell was clear.

My apologies... I'll go back to my usual forums.

meyery2k

@adiantum - Please accept my apology.  I was trying to be humorous.  You are spot on that anything we can do to improve our visibility we should do.

The canned air horns are such an annoyance and they are used at every event in the United States.  I could just imagine the reaction to one on the road (which of course I would not do).  It is not the law here and I am actually considering getting a horn or a bell for Fiare.  Just a regular one though. 

Thank you for the post and it might save a cyclist (especially this one) so it should not be deleted. 

raffi

Ever since I was a kid and saw a bicycle courier save his own life several times in the course of riding down a single block in NY City, he did this with a whistle in his mouth, I have been ridding with a whistle.

Any time I'm in a busy area where I'm likely to need to make myself known, my whistle is in my mouth. You can blow it without moving your hands and it makes lots of noise.

meyery2k

@ raffi - Brilliant!  I have a whistle in my wallet that I wear as a belt.  I have this fear of being thrown in a ditch and no one finding me so I thought having a whistle on my person could save me.  I could place this on a lanyard and have it as a "make way" or other warning while riding.

ORjt

Hi all,

RE: bells.  I like this one: http://www.spurcycle.com/ -- no affiliation. They just make a really nice product. *Great* sound - not 'tinny' at all.

@adiantum - thanks for your post. I found the Australian rules to be quite interesting. I wonder - is there much animosity between cars and cyclists in Australia (or can you even generalize) ? In the US, it's very variable -- in some places, not so much. In others - well, see 'rolling coal' ...

Stay safe out there!

JT

adiantum

I dont think it can be generalized.

I'm sure everyone has had a bad experience, be it a cyclist,pedestrian or driver and its always because someone broke the rules .

We do have many clearly marked  cycleways now leading into the city.

I dont know if its everywhere but here it is law to look for a cyclist before opening the car door.

Theres a pedestrian/cycle path near me that has a dividing line down the middle which helps me to keep my dogs from crossing over in case a bike comes up behind us. Not all have bells but the rider calls out " traffic"  when  approaching.

The only issue Ive ever had was getting "mooned"  when there was a big charity run .

The street would fill up with cars & the drivers get out in their street clothes & change into their riding gear.

Over the years I've become used to seeing these cars arrive with bikes on the roof or being assembled... so dont look anymore.

meyery2k

My pet peeve is cyclists that ride on the wrong side of the road.  When we encounter each other one of us has to swerve into traffic which endangers both of us and encourages the motorists to dislike us more.

I have written to the chief of traffic enforcement for the county and received the form letter reply to call the police non emergency line with a description and location.  Yeah, like they are going to do anything.

I have discussed this with beat officers and get the same non-committal attitude.  One officer asked me what I would like to see and I replied, "Active enforcement".  Seeing someone pulled over and being cited sends a message to motorists and cyclists that we BOTH must observe traffic laws.  Later that same day, I saw a cyclist going the wrong way and a police car drove past him and did nothing.  We see drivers pulled over for speeding on some of the more remote roads and it encourages us not to speed.

So I will continue to read about cyclists that get hit, crippled, and killed that would likely been have prevented by following the rules of the road.

Rant over - I have been informed that good etiquette is to proclaim passing on your right/left to other cyclists and pedestrians.  I have always been thanked when doing this.

ORjt

Hi all

Meyery2k: believe it or not - not everyone knows "walk facing traffic, ride with traffic". Had that conversation with a couple of folks on one of our group rides a couple of years ago. I was shocked. (I think I learned that in like 3rd grade, a looong time ago. Perhaps they don't teach that in school any more?)

I've found that most cyclists get the "on your left" thing -- but I've had walkers/joggers (on MUP's) move *left* when they hear that. I always do acknowledge when someone passes and calls out. (Usually with 'thanks, you've got it' ... ).

-Stay safe out there!

JT

raffi

It is starting to look spring like. With one of my bikes in the shop and the studs off the other, the decision to ride in the morning can be a bit complicated. Crashing on slick roads tends to take the fun out of the day. Fortunately, I have done a pretty good job of picking days and routes.

This morning was colder than yesterday (when I decided not to ride), but far less icy (no freezing fog), so the morning commute went well. It's supposed to be around 50 for the ride home.

Hope everyone is getting out there.

rwallen

Good morning all,

raffi, I have not been getting out there much but I have the last 4 days.

JT and meyery2k, the Motobecane is ok.  I think it will need a new left STI shift lever.  The right one wasn't working well but I sprayed it down good with some cleaner and got it functioning.  The left one may be unsalvageable.  If that's all that's wrong with the bike, then I guess I may have done ok but I'm reluctant to replace both levers or to buy a new one for the left.  I'll just have to see.  Component-wise it's ok.  Supposedly, the frames are junk and that could be true of my Giant as well but it still serves its purpose.

All, I am not a self-diagnoser or a hypochondriac but my wife and I think that I have a bit of depression.  With that said, I'm not sure because I think I'm on the way of pulling myself out of it, although I know I have been saying that for a while.  I think what was needed was for me to just finally say, enough is enough.  Pull yourself out of your funk and get your act together!  I think I have done that. :)

I don't know what my goals are for cycling.  I have realized that I need to stay with it.  I have seen the results from a lack of cycling over the last 6 months.  Still, I want to incorporate some other activities into my life and not be so consumed by cycling.  I'm still trying to figure it all out.  I have a lot of things on my plate that will demand my attention coming up.  So, I will just need to take it a step at a time.  Anyway, I hope to post more in the near future.

Until then!

Take care!

Rick

meyery2k

Don't beat me up too bad.  After a dismal February (rain, rain, rain) and only 250 miles.  I made it up this month.  500 miles.  Grand total is 1372 so I am still on target for 5,000 miles this year.

raffi

meyery2k,

Good work on the 500 miles. I managed to break 300 miles with a 20 mile ride this morning. Other than that, the weather has been less than I had hoped for.

A friend from work and I have come up with our bike tour plans for this year, so I'm hoping that an upcoming tour will help motivate me on some of the less than optimal biking days to get out anyway.

rwallen

Good morning!

meyery2k, I second raffi's attaboy!

raffi, good work also.  You both beat me out.

As I posted before, I think I'm getting myself right.  I got in a couple of good rides but I didn't ride yesterday because of it being Easter and because of some nasty weather moving in.  I foresee some non-riding days ahead and that kinda bums me out but I do realize that it is what it is and that I need to be out there when I have the opportunity.

On a different note, I had my 6 month check up last Thursday.  I recognized my weight gain and discussed depression with the doctor.  I feel that he and I are on the same page and I promised to seek help if I think it's needed.  He too, like me, recognizes that everyone gets in a "funk" once and a while.  The amazing thing is that my A1c was 4.8.  I think that's awesome considering the lack of riding and the weight gain.

Anyway, I hope that everyone had a great weekend.

PS: This is the last I mention the funk and whine about not riding!  I'll post more positive, and/or, cycling related things!  Oh, and I can't promise about the whining!  ;)

Rick

raffi

Rick,

One of the things that helps bring me out of a funk is riding. Of course, while in a funk, riding often seems like something not worth taking the effort to do.

Great work on the a1c!

This morning was my first April ride, but I had to check the calendar when I got in just to be sure. Sure looked a like like January out there. Temps in the 20s and more ice on the ground than we've seen most of this winter. Good thing I still have my studs on. I was hoping the same was true for the cars that I saw this morning.

ORjt

Hi all,

Rick - nice work on the A1C! (and for everything else, too ... )

As for me - drove out to one of the State Parks (about 45 minutes for the drive), met up with a couple of friends for a nice ~20 mile ride in the north WIllamette Valley on Saturday.  It was a nice break to ride with friends, and to not have my nose in the wind for the entire ride.  Weather was decent, with the overcast breaking up the longer we were out.  Little overall traffic, too.

It's getting lighter, earlier in the morning. Should have enough morning light pretty soon to start commuting.  Need to convince Mrs ORjt that the one bad stretch of road isn't really all that bad ... 

Stay safe out there!

-JT

meyery2k

Started April with 30 miles.  Wind was gusting to 30MPH and some of my read was right into it.  Character building, I believe it is called...

rwallen

Hi all,

Well, my riding hasn't increased, 1 day on the spin bike for April so far.  However, this falls under the "I foresee some non-riding days ahead".  On a positive note, I think the shifters on the Motobecane will work without replacing them.  I soaked the non-working one, the one that didn't work even after spraying it down with degreaser, in a bucket of degreaser for a few hours.  It appears that if might function correctly.  However, I'll need to wrap the handlebar again, probably both while I'm doing it.

That's all I got! :)

Rick

ORjt

Hi all,

No, I haven't fallen off the face of the earth ... but it kinda feels like it.

No miles yet this month (boo! hiss!) - we've had an inordinately wet April.  Weather guesser over the weekend: "1 dry day so far this month" .  Well over our normal *monthly* total -- and we're only halfway there ...

Got the rack back on the commuter -- if my plans come together, I'll get my first commute of the season on Thursday.  Long way off - lots can go sideways between now and then ...

Hang in there, stay safe ....

JT

raffi

While it is wet here as well, I have manged a few rides and have hopes that later this week and next week things will be much better. It is finally starting to warm up. However, this morning it is snowing and I have not yet taken the studs off my bike (or my car) tires.

rwallen

Hi all,

Just touching base.  Still no riding.  I have been working at my son's new house, painting and building a privacy fence in my spare time.  However, I have been trying to watch my diet and have lost a few pounds.  I hope to get in some decent riding  yet this month.

Anyway, take care!

rwallen

Good morning all,

Well, I believe that April will be the worst month of riding that I have had since I started cycling but hey, I'm not whining! :)  I actually got on Bea (the Giant), on Friday, and rode 12 miles.  I had started a post one day last week but something happened to my laptop and I lost it.  That post was going to say that I was wrong about thinking that I had fixed the shifters on the Motobecane.  However, I spoke with my lbs and my guy said that if it appeared that left one was working, it should.  He was right!!  I actually rode the bike up and down the street on Friday.  I think I have everything working.  Now, I am trying to decide on whether I want to get the same color bar tape (black) and only wrap one side for now or to change colors and wrap both of them.  I am leaning towards the latter.  I know that black won't show the dirt as bad but I sure do like getting away from the black.  Anyway, the bike did well.  I have new tires for the Giant.  They came on Friday.  I will pick up the new ones for the Specialized tomorrow.  Also on Friday, I got the yard mowed and my mower all serviced ready for the season.  Actually, I still need to make sure the deck is level and to grease the zerks.  I felt very accomplished on Friday and I finished my son's privacy fence on Saturday.  Actually, there is a section between his house and the neighbors fence on the other side that we still need to do but the neighbor has to move his fence.  It is a foot and a half over onto my son's property.  So, that will come in a few weeks and it won't be much of a project.

Anyway, things are looking up!  I have lost 9 lbs since my doctors visit.  If I was riding every day I'm sure that the lbs. would drop quicker.  My loop ride around the middle of Kansas is coming up  in about a month and a half.  So, I really need to get to riding.  However, the daily miles are only around 30-40.  I'm not saying that I am in shape to do that but I'm sure that I could even if I didn't ride between now and then.  The actual problem is that I need time in the saddle or my butt will be my issue.

Well, thanks for listening, or I guess, reading!  Take care!

Rick

Edited by rwallen

raffi

Rick,

April is not looking too good for me either, but at least this week looks promising as the weather is supposed to be clear and into the 70s in the afternoon.

the importance of toughing up your backside should not be underestimated. It can suck all of the joy out of a tour if you rub your butt raw.

rwallen

Good morning all,

raffi, you are correct!  I'll tell you, it's amazing how quickly a person's body regresses.  I suppose age affects that greatly.  I'm a little mad at myself for allowing myself to get into this state but I am making progress, albeit slowly.  I have been reviewing old FB posts and pictures this morning.  It is helping with my motivation.

I have decided to wrap the Motobecane's handlebars with blue tape, to match the lettering.  I'm anxious to get that done but I have so much going on right now.  It looks like rain today.  So, I might not get in a ride.  I have ridden the last 2 days, just short distances.  I am returning the friend's Miyata today.  He has been slow in wanting it back but I have no space for the bikes I have now.

Anyway, I hope everyone has a great day and that you're getting in some riding.

Rick