Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

raffi

2018 To boldly go biking

raffi

The weather has been turning out every bit as nice as predicted. We've gone from below average and wet to above average and great riding weather.

On this morning's commute, I passed the 30,000 mile mark since getting back into cycling. Too bad it was dark, or I would have stopped and memorialized it with a pictures.

Fraser
2 hours ago, rwallen said:

Good morning all,

raffi, you are correct!  I'll tell you, it's amazing how quickly a person's body regresses.  I suppose age affects that greatly.  I'm a little mad at myself for allowing myself to get into this state but I am making progress, albeit slowly. helping with my motivation

Well I agree with you on the affects of aging.  I checked your profile to see how old you are.  And surprise we were both born on November 7, not a real popular birthday.  Except you were born in 1958 I and I was born in 1945.  And yep age does not make you recover faster.  I missed 6 weeks of running because of the flu.  Starting over is painful.  

Fraser

Edited by Fraser

ORjt

Hi,

Rick - sounds like things are looking better for you. That's good news :)

For me: Got in my first commute last week (the world didn't go sideways); and on Sunday, out for 27 miles.

Another commute today (weather's been great for the last week, but it's about to go downhill, at least for a few days)

This coming Sunday, first Metric Century of the season. 65 miles in the North Willamette valley (starting out from the capital, in Salem). It's an easy MC; the worst issue is that the prevailing wind generally makes the return half all headwind. One short, but steep climb in the last ~20 miles.

The wildcard? Weather. Rain is forecast for Thursday/Friday and into Saturday.  Sunday's too far out to tell - I likely won't decide till Saturday night (or Sunday morning).

Stay safe out there!

JT

ORjt

Just a quick follow up,

Did make it down to Salem on Sunday; the weather deities had a half-crooked smile.  Met up with my riding buddy, and off we went (chilly, but dry).  As we went farther north (the route's more or less an out and back), we hit drizzle/mist, then light rain.  Made it to the first break and decided to make it a 'half metric'.  He was recovering from a cold, and I was wiped out from a long week - just didn't feel like slogging through rain.  Of course, as we headed back south, the weather cleared a bit.  Well, it stopped raining, anyway. (So, it was 2/3 dry, and 1/3 not horrible :) ).

All in all, it was an enjoyable 35 miles - and that's the point, isn't it?  I did set a new PR for 40km - 15.7mph (old PR was 15.6, on this same route, last year).  Now, the Ti bike needs a good cleaning ... and we saw way too many folks with flat tires ...

Hang in there, and stay safe!

JT

meyery2k

Squeaked by 500 miles this month.

I can pretty consistently now do 50k in 2 hours.  Back in January it was taking me 2:10 to 2:20.  It is a push, but I can do it.

So far, on track for 5000 miles if I can keep it up at 1883 miles.

raffi

Meyery2k, Great job!

Looks like spring really is here. I'm getting some more commutes in and enjoying the warm afternoon rides home. Hopefully this means I will be bringing the mileage up this month.

meyery2k

Thanks for asking!  The lava is about 20 miles from where I live so I am not directly affected.  The 6.9 earthquake was a real good shaking though.  I have an article titled "Kilauea" with articles and updates.

I have, before all this action, had many fine bike rides in that area of the island.  It will be interesting to visit again when it is safe to do so.  Sadly, there has been some significant property loss with more likely to occur.

While my Schwalbe tires are mighty puncture resistant, I don't think they could stand up to lava lol...

raffi

Yesterday's morning commute was the first one of the year where I got to ride with fingerless gloves. This morning, I was able to get ride of the the long sleeve shirt as well.

Tonight's commute home will be longer than usual as I need to ride past my house to the next town to go vote. That ends up adding almost 10 miles to the commute. Total miles for today should end up at almost 48.

rwallen

Good morning all,

Just checking in, not much to report.

I have been getting in some riding.  It's kind of sad that it's almost the middle of the year and I haven't even hit 1000 miles yet.  Strangely enough, it doesn't bother me all that much.

The diet has seemed to hit a stall, unfortunately. I should have started sooner and I would be enjoying this time of year instead of being in the process of losing weight.  However, I am making an attempt and that's better than doing nothing.

Things are going great though!  I guess I failed to mention that my son and daughter-in-law buying a new house meant that they have moved out of our house after living with us for 3 1/2 years.  It is great to reclaim our house and to get back to doing some projects around our place.

I guess that's about all I have.  My Kansas ride is coming up in about 3 weeks.  I just got Betty back from the LBS.  She checked out fine but I was told that the derailleurs were going to need to be replaced soon.  I guess that's not too bad since they have over 27K miles on them.

Anyway, take care!

Rick

ORjt

Hi all,

Quick update: Meyery2k - thanks for letting us know. I was curious (worried? concerned?) too ...

Out for a few rides here and there, but nothing spectacular. Spring sure is pretty this year.

Commuted on Tuesday - ride home was 89F (just this side of 'too hot').  Current plan is to also ride in tomorrow, we'll see how it goes.

Metric Century coming up in two weeks, so it's time to add a few more miles ...

Stay safe out there!

JT

meyery2k

Anybody get any cycling in over the long weekend?

Saturday was rainy, Sunday started rainy but I chanced it.  The weather cleared and I had a nice 79 mile ride in the upper rain forest where it is a little cooler and then to Pahoa near where the lava is.  I could see the smoke from the activity but my real reason for going there was the forbidden fish and chips lol.  I was glad to go and support local business.  They are hurting right now.  I visited my cycling friend in another store and she had to evacuate her home, sadly.  Yesterday, I did another 32.1 miles (50k).  Just 9 miles short of 600 miles this month.  So I did a metric century Sunday, followed by a half century Monday and a statue century over 2 days as a sort of trifecta.  I wanted to show myself that if I ever tour, I can ride multiple days if I pace myself.

My bike is holding up great.  I actually managed to break my metal water bottle cage.  Not sure if the vibration of the road did it in over time or what.

Still on track for a 5,000 mile year.

raffi
1 hour ago, meyery2k said:

Still on track for a 5,000 mile year.

Good job. Sounds like you are getting in some nice long rides as well. My rides are still less than 30 miles. I need to start working up before my trip in August, but I still have time.

I did manage a 21 mile ride yesterday. In fact, I took the opportunity to do some new roads that I had not done before (not many of those left around my house). As a result, I took the fatbike, you never quite know what you will get into when you take some of the dirt farm roads. Turned out, things were in real good shape, so I would have been fine on anything I have.

ORjt

Hi all,

Well, I ended up not riding in late last week. Mentally ready for it, but physically just did not feel well. 

OTOH, got out for a nice 32 mile ride on Sunday - wall to wall sunshine, upper 70's - so just about perfect.

Current plan is to ride in tomorrow, then the metric century on Saturday. Good times!

Meyery2k - thanks for the updates.  I've had metal cages break or deform (and I know others who have as well); I think it's from the constant stress of removing and replacing bottles.  I currently have a variety of cages on the three bikes - carbon fiber cages (fairly cheap on *bay; also scored a couple on closeout at the LBS) - not because they are light - I just like the way they look.  I also have several from Portland Design Works. They have some really nice aluminum cages - one's in the shape of an owl, one as a swift, and one's a "Japanese Lucky Cat". Love these - well made, can't image they'll ever break. (They're formed from sheet AL, not from wire ... )

Stay safe out there!!

JT

rwallen

Hi all,

I had a four day weekend and got out each day except for Sunday.  We made a quick trip to Topeka to put some flowers on my wife's family members' graves.

meyery2k, I am impressed with how quickly you have progressed.  I think you have the "bug".  :)

My trip starts a week from Friday.  I am looking forward to spending some time with some great guys and looking at some new scenery from the seat of a bike.

Take care all!

Rick

meyery2k

627 miles this month, a new personal best.  Total this year is 2510 which means I am at the halfway mark to my goal of 5000 miles :)

meyery2k

1st ride of June was off to a rocky start.  Broke a spoke.  It just snapped.  I am oddly proud that I have ridden enough miles to get one though...34190689_10209247734190081_6860990245660262400_n.thumb.jpg.b635d7bb944e374586dba5e54d2fd466.jpg

raffi

The times I've appreciated disc brakes the most has been when I've broken spokes. If you have caliper brakes, you tend to have your ride come to a sudden stop with a while that is wildly out of true. A few years ago, It took a second broken spoke to bring me to a stop.

meyery2k

I took the wheel into the LBS so Chris, the mechanic, will install a new spoke and true the wheel.  I think it will be money well spent with all the miles I ride since he knows what he is doing and I don't.

I can't express how happy I am to have a good LBS on my team.  I never realized how great that could be until I found the Hilo Bike Hub.  Granted, I had to prove myself as a serious cyclist, but they really do keep me on the road.  He told me the other day that he saw me hauling a** up a hill and that meant everything to me lol...

I will definitely get an upgraded bike one day but I will ride Fiare into the ground before then lol...  She is so faithful and I have learned so much from her that it would simply seem like adultery right now to get another bike lol...

My daughter gets upset when I tell her that if we have to evacuate, Fiare comes with me.  She is family to me.  She always brings me home and we have had many wonderful rides together.  I just tell her she doesn't understand the bond between a rider and a bike.

janice21475

"She is so faithful and I have learned so much from her that it would simply seem like adultery right now to get another bike lol... "

Mike, I have a feeling she will understand when the time comes.  :)

rwallen

Hi guys, 

Not much going on here, getting in some riding.  I have the Motobecane ready to ride, just haven't had the time.  I am heading to Russell, KS on Friday to start my weeklong ride from there on Sat.  The organizer of the ride has created a CGOAB journal for our ride.  Here is the link if you're interested and here is the picture of the motobecane with the new bar tape. https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=1mr&doc_id=20963&v=v

moto.jpg