Diabetes forums
raffi

2018 To boldly go biking

ORjt

Hi all,

Meyery2k - I've seen some of the footage where the bay has been filled in. I'm at a loss for words.

Rick - good luck on your ride. I'll try to follow along on the blog.

The Motobecane turned out nice; the tape complements the blue on the frame very well.

Just curious - how do you like (or any of y'all out there :) ) the ergo bend bars?  I've got Easton's on the Merckx, and don't care for them.  Of course, I don't get down in the drops very often, anyway.  I'll eventually replace them -- probably when an overhaul comes due. (The Easton's are also quite a bit smaller in diameter than I like - that's the bigger issue for me. They're currently wrapped with 2 layers of thick tape + gel pads.)

So, for me - two weekends back - got out for my metric century. New PR (2nd this year!) - 16.0 mph over 40km (24 miles, more or less). Also had my first 'FDGB' due to clipless pedals. Happened at the 2nd rest stop - missed a clip-in, lost all momentum, got my center of gravity past the point of no return. Boom.  Small strawberry on my right knee. So it goes. (Riding clipless since 2010, I'm guestimating well over 10k miles. Quote from the LBS mech at the stop: "It's a quota system, y'know".  A good laugh was had by all (me included ...)

No riding this last weekend -- rain, and more rain (but it's been needed).

Stay safe out there!

JT

meyery2k

@ORjt - Nice! (the rides not the fall of course)

While there is regret for places that are no more, there is also excitement at what is being built.  It is amazing to see new land being formed right before our eyes.  There will be new beaches and, in time, cherished places for the people that follow.

Broke 2 spokes total on the back wheel.  One at a time but within 50 miles of each other.  LBS tech says, "That is interesting" which usually ends up not being so great for me lol...  He replaced that spoke and, if I get a 3rd one, he might respoke the whole thing.  50 miles and all is well so far so we will see.

ORjt

Meyery2k

Well, at least the fall involved some humor, so it wasn't all bad. :)

If your mechanic hasn't done so - have him inspect the rim for hairline cracks around the spoke holes. I had two (rear) wheels replaced by Trek, under warranty.  I was having spokes break, also.  Each time we found cracks in the rim. I finally had a really good rear wheel made, and have had zero issues since.

JT

Sprockets

Sorry I haven't been posting.  Went through a period where I wasn't riding as much.  Stress, weather, etc.  Back in the groove again.

I'm at 808 miles this year.  Did the TD Five Boroughs of New York ride last month with a group of 25 friends.  What a blast.

Living in Central Florida, we are in the hot, rainy season.  Highs in the mid 90's, storms most days.  Rode 45 miles Saturday and it was super hot and muggy, even starting at 7am!

raffi

The weather turned again this morning, but having already planned on riding (in fact, my son took my car so I really didn't have a choice) I rode anyway. So I got to work a bit soggy.

All in all, this month has been going pretty well. Hopefully everyone else is getting in some good rides.

ORjt

Hi all,

Got out for 21 miles on Sunday. 88-92 on the bike - quite warm, but not too bad (rural roads, so I don't have to deal with stop/wait/start issues - I don't like commuting when it's much over 90 - the waits next to idling cars are no fun).  We had wind and t'storms pop up later in the afternoon. Missed those, too.

I've been playing with two new toys - a pair of bluetooth bone conducting earphones (Trekz Titanium) and a new Sandisk bluetooth MP3 player.  I like having some music when I'm out on solo rides - but did *NOT* want earphones in my ear.  I've tried a few different speakers (wired, with an older Sandisk MP3 player).  That's worked, but the downside has been poor battery life (for the speakers), along with having to have enough volume (and no real capability to control volume on the fly) to hear stuff. Personally, I think I have *great* taste in music, but I'm not sure the rest of the world agrees with me.

So - the earphones (mostly) work well - they don't occlude my hearing enough to be worrisome.  It's easy to control the volume on the fly.  No one else can hear my music.  And, it's also easy to 'pause' playback if I approach a dodgy intersection.

The downside has been twofold

1) The bluetooth connectivity isn't great. It's highly sensitive to the location and orientation of the sending unit (I've used two different sources; I'm convinced the issues are on the receiver end).  These were not cheap; I would expect rock-solid BT at this price point. OTOH, this is the most workable solution I've come up with, and, once I get the orientation sorted out, the dropouts are infrequent enough to not be (too) bothersome

2) It's taken a while to get 'playlist' issues sorted out on the MP3 player.  I'm using a linux-based laptop to rip cd's to MP3, then transfer to the player.  Sandisk apparently thinks the entire world only uses Win-based compute devices, so their instructions were spotty, at best (more like woefully inadequate).  The collective wisdom of the internet is spread far and wide for this issue, but I've finally cobbled together a working procedure.  Good thing I'm a geek :)

Anyhow - that's what I've been up to.

Stay safe out there!

JT

meyery2k

Broke ANOTHER spoke (this is number 3) so I now wonder what Chris will do.  The wheel has about 3,000 miles on it.  I know that sound all too well now lol...

rwallen

Hi all,

meyery2k, hmmm, I wonder what's up? 3K on a wheel ain't nothing. 

All, the ride went well...about 340 miles in all.  I experienced everything on this ride, mostly none of which I have experienced before.  The one exception is that I didn't experience any huge climbs.  Most days, the temps were 100 or above.  I would say the winds were at least 20mph or more each day and there were some small climbs but mainly rollers.  I had a side wall rupture which required me to borrow a tire and tube.  Then the next day, or the following, I flatted with that tire.  While we only camped out 4 out of the 7 nights, they were hot nights.  The flies were terrible in that they were constantly biting whenever we'd stop and I banged up my knee climbing down the bank to one of the lakes to get in the water.  It didn't prevent me from riding and didn't really bother me too much on the ride but it was just another thing that happened.  2 days were closer to 65-70 miles, instead of the "advertised" 35-40.  Sounds like I had a terrible time, right?  On the contrary, it was great!  In spite of the lack of riding on my part and carrying a little extra body weight  I had no problems riding.  The amazing part were the people we met in the small towns.  Their generosity and the courtesy of the drivers we encountered was awesome.

I didn't ride when I got home on Sat.  I had already done 30 miles that morning.  Sunday, of course was Father's Day but I mowed and did quite a bit of running around.  So, riding wasn't a priority and my butt was still a little sore. :)  

Anyway, y'all take care!  Until next time!

Rick

ORjt

Hi all,

Rick - sounds like you had a good time; thanks for the update.

Meyer2k - ouch, not *another* spoke ! (Rick's right - 3k miles is not very much in wheel lifetime, though that's probably about when mine started breaking.  I've had *zero* issues on the hand built custom wheel, on way more miles. I don't  think it's even been trued.

Raffi - thanks for the tips, will look into that. I know cdparanoia is on the distro (linux mint).  Don't know about fapg.  I'm currently using lame as the codec in RipperX and EasyTag to generate the playlists.  It's not perfect, nor fully automated (I still have something wonky in some setting somewhere). But it does work.  (The laptop was a pretty recent acquisition and is more 'toy' than anything. Tons of experience with cmd line unix at work; this really is for fun.)

Stay safe out there!

JT

meyery2k

Spoke number 4 broke lol... 

LBS replaced the wheel.

These spokes and all the other things I have going on still haven't stopped me from 100 miles per week.  This week I don't think I can make it but maybe I can still close the month at 400.

ORjt

Hi all,

Meyery - glad the LBS is taking care of you; that's what they are there for :) -- and why we support them.

Me: Allergy attack on Saturday, feels like it's settling in my chest. And head. Arrgh.  Did get out for 21 miles on Sunday (I figured: "kill me or cure me". I don't think it did either). It was warm - mid/upper 80's, and really, quite a nice ride - just the usual loop.  Did have an interesting experience - I saw quite a few riders out, including a group of 3 women.  We crossed paths for a second time later on (they were sort of doing a reverse of the loop I was doing), and due to the way things sometimes work out - one of the women ended up drafting behind me for several miles.  At one point, she asked if I minded that she was back there ("No, not at all").  There's a nice paved and gated driveway near an intersection with a local highway - it's a natural regroup/rest break (the owner/farmer seems cool with cyclists - he's waved a few times), so we pulled off there, and waited for her two companions to catch up - they weren't too far behind.  She was gushing to her friends at how fun it was to "catch a ride" (hey, everyone loves to draft behind tandems, or the big guy!).

Well, that's it - just trying to get healthy.

Stay safe out there!

JT

meyery2k

In spite of broken spokes, "Oliver!" rehearsals, visitor, work, and weather, I managed to eke out 418 miles this month for a total of 2,928 miles.  This is my 2nd lowest month.  My minimum is to go for 100 miles per week.  Most weeks  I do more than that.  New wheel is spinning true lol...

Still on track for a 5,000 mile year :)

raffi

with the nicer weather, I've been getting in plenty of commutes. Not so much on the weekends (too busy).

We did set a date for our Summer tour, so that's something to be looking forward to in August.

Hope everyone else out there is keeping on their bikes.

rwallen

Hi all,

Haven't posted in a while. Not much going on including riding.  I think I have been on a bike 3X since my trip.  It's been hot and dry here.  I did finally get the Motobecane exactly the way I wanted it only to discover a crack on the head tube.  So, I guess I have a parts bike now.  :(  I think I'll keep an eye out for a frame but probably won't be in a hurry.

That's about all I have.

Rick