Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

raffi

2018 To boldly go biking

meyery2k

@Kit  I love the learning part lol...

When I first started up cycling again, there was a hill by my house that did the same thing.  As I got fitter and developed better technique, it became a regular.

ORjt

Hi all,

Bits of riding here and there.  'Staycation' for the last 2 weeks brought some needed downtime, along with a couple of rides.

Hit the last 'event ride' for the season last Sunday - only 40 miles, but 3k' of climbing, all of that (or, well, at least >90% of it) in the first 19 miles.  I did pretty well.  I had to stop and recover 3 times on the last few miles of the climbs - it's through a narrow, twisty, and sometimes steep section of really nice (Portland) homes.  Brutal, but fun.  The views and the descents are worth the effort. I've done this ride a few times (so yeah, that 'learning' thing helps!).  I've only 1 time been able to do all the climbs without stopping.  (I *almost* never walk. It's anathema to me.  I will stop and recover, and stop and recover .... as needed).  The hardest part of that last 20 miles isn't the bit of elevation (there are some rolling climbs, but nothing at all steep/long - it's no more than 200-300', total) - it's the stopping and starting, through more of urban Portland.  Once cruising, I was fine ... but getting going ... ugh. Legs were drained.

And today? Last commute of the season. I'm losing too much morning light for it to be safe.

Actually looking forward to fall - it might be my favorite time to be out riding.

Stay safe out there!

JT

raffi

Now that Fall has arrived, it's time to make sure the cooler weather clothes are ready to go. The morning commute is not only dark, but the toes are not always making in to work happy.

This years mileage has been a bit disappointing, but I'm still hoping to top 4000 miles by the end of the year. Looks doable unless the weather turns real nasty.

My bike tour in August went well, I still need to go through the picture (not many good ones due to smoke) and post something here about it.

ORjt

Hi all

Too few posts - hope that means y'all are out riding. 

We've had a stretch of really nice weather (clear, high 60's/low 70's, but very cool in the mornings).  Got out both days this last weekend (21 miles each day).

Trees are turning - but we get a lot of golds/browns, fewer reds.  Looks nice, but it's not stunning, so to speak.

Mileage is way down this year - given good weather till the end of Dec, I'll break 1k, but maybe not by much.  Missed a bunch of commuting days (and thus mileage) over the summer -- too many very hot afternoons, coupled with a brutal work schedule.  So it goes.

So, since the foliage isn't really photo-worthy, I'll leave you with this one.  An 'honor system' pumpkin patch. $2 each, or 3 for $5.  Took the photo on Sunday, and then drove by Monday after work to grab 3.  By then, at least half were gone. It's very encouraging that people can still be trusted.

Stay safe out there!

20181014_124429 (1).jpg

Edited by ORjt
Added a bit of clarification

meyery2k

Nice photo!

We are starting to cool off here too.

I turned 5,000 miles about 1 week ago.

I was having some problems with sore sit muscles after relatively short rides and found out that I had worn out my saddle.  A new saddle has done wonders.

5bc633ae0d377_20180731_1853591(1024x572).thumb.jpg.92d7ab8e6bbd0417d1904718246c1819.jpg

raffi

meyery2k,

Great job on getting over 5000 miles. Still plenty of year left to keep racking them up. As far as wearing out a saddle goes, I don't think I've even come close. I have one that is getting threadbare on the surface and another with cracks in it, but both have held their shape and support.

Things are looking up as far as my milage goes. I was hoping to make 4000 miles for the year and I'm current just over 3800. If things go fairly typically from here, I should be able to match (or hopefully even pass) last year's milage.

rwallen

Hi all,

Well JT said too few posts.  So...   I still haven't been riding much.  I did have a tour that started a couple of weeks ago in the Texas Hill Country of Texas.  It left out of Austin and I did get in one day of riding.  If you know what the weather has been like in the Austin area, or what it was like a few weeks ago, you'd know that they have been getting a lot of rain.  Long story short, we only got in one day of riding.  3 days were spent pretty much sitting in an hotel room and then the ride was officially cancelled when the Texas Governor declared the area we were in, in a state of emergency.  Needless to say, it wasn't the best of times.  On the bright side, I made it there and back safely.  That's all I have for ya!

Take care!

Rick

raffi

Wow. It looked like he was doing pretty much everything right and still ended up in the middle of a mess. How he didn't end up splattered is beyond understanding.

lgvincent

Well, my biking accident from 14 months ago turned out to be worse than I thought.  It seems I cracked the top tube so it's not safe to ride unless and until I get it repaired.  I was looking into repair costs of around $1,000 which I wish I had done but instead bought another bike, a 2013 Trek Domane 6.9.  It's a nice bike but with it being white, black and red, my kits don't match it like they do my Scott.  

trek domane.jpg

lgvincent
12 hours ago, meyery2k said:

That is a beautiful bike. 

Thank you.  It is very pretty.  It seems faster than my Scott but I've not been able to purchase a Garmin to work with the Duotrap sensor and the speedometer I had with my Scott Team was destroyed in the accident.  I have been able to go up several hills I was never quite able to get up on the Scott but that could have simply been due to uncertainty.  It's about a pound or so lighter than my Scott and handles well so maybe in time I can get accustomed to it.    

meyery2k

Another 700+ mile month (733 miles).  Total this year is 5500 miles.  If weather, equipment, and cyclist hold up, I have a real shot at 10,000 km for the year.

I have been fortunate because my employer lets me start work at 6AM.  I finish by 3 most days so I have some daylight left to cycle safely.  While not quite like the mainland, by 6PM I need to fire up the lights.

Looking forward to my new jersey.  This has been a hard one to find.  Every year there is a ride to end polio.  There was a new version of the jersey but I really wanted this one (the older one).  I asked and they made it available for sale!  I am a sucker lol...

Considering a Grinch jersey for December too that was on sale.

No automatic alt text available.

meyery2k

I would like to ask if anyone/everyone would comment on technique.  I have "rediscovered" my middle chain ring.  I have 3 in the front and 8 in the rear.  For most of this year the majority of my cycling has been in the large front ring.  The small ring used for climbing.  I pretty much ignored the middle ring.

To make things interesting, I decided to try my 50K fitness ride using the middle ring and had a blast.  I could work through all the gears.  I discovered I could even go a little faster with less fatigue.  I reserved the large ring for circumstances where I was in 2-8 and easily pedalling at that ratio.  I then kicked in the large ring and wow!

Thoughts?

rwallen

meyery2k,

Here's my 2 cents.  When I first started riding I tried to use my big chain ring as much as possible.  The thought was to make my legs work the hardest I could to build up strength in them.  I was a hill climbing fool.  I still think it was a good idea.  However, when I started to do more touring, and at some point was told about spinning and cadence, I discovered that it was a better fit for touring, and perhaps for cycling all together.  That is, in regard to endurance I think.  If you can sit on a bike for all day and spin and let the gears do the work it is better.  As far as for touring, it's almost a must.  It's hard to power up hills with a fully loaded touring bike.  I have discovered that I can spin up hills just fine but I don't have the strength in my legs anymore to just stand on the pedals all the way up a hill.  I believe there are trade offs to both and that probably a good combination of the 2 is ideal.  In addition, against a strong head wind, sometimes all you can do is just spin.

raffi

Common biking wisdom says spin, don't mash. I too have done both and think there is a time and a place for both. But learning to spin is a good idea. Especially if you are doing longer rides and tours.

If you want to concentrate on spinning, you might consider getting a cadence meter for your bike. When I has a working cadence meter, it was easy to make sure I was spinning. Since that broke, I have found myself tending toward the mashing end of things again.

raffi

This morning's commute was a little more interesting than I would have preferred. First off, it was the coldest commute of the season so far, so I was having to do water management to keep my backpack from freezing up. That I was prepared for.  The thing I was not prepared for was my rear brake seizing up.

Around 1 1/2 miles from home, I come to a very steep (20% grade) gravel hill that I need to descend. Having working brakes is definitely a plus while going down this hill. At the top, as I started down, I grabbed the brakes and found that the rear brake handle simply did not move, not even a little. Since I was still going slow, I stopped (via the front brakes) and tried to figure out what was going on. Having no luck, I had to decided if I should head back home and drive or continue on the rest of my 18 miles commute to work. Since I really wanted the miles,  I decided the best thing to do was to switch routes and take the 21 miles route with fewer steep hills. However that still left me needing to get down the current hill, so I very slowly picked my way down the hill riding the front brake.

The longer route and not wanting to go too fast on the hills meant a much longer commute. Had my commute time been normal, my toes would have been a lot happier, as it was, they were in pretty rough shape by the time I got to work.

To add insult to injury, once I got to work and had my shower, I tried to figure out what was going on with the brakes only to discover that they now worked just fine. My best guess is there was some moisture in the handle and it froze up keeping things from moving.

On the plus side, I got to work and I got the miles.

Edited by raffi

ORjt

Hi all,

Well, it seems *I've* been remiss in posting.

LG: nice bike. Gorgeous, in fact.

Meyery: As Raffi notes, spinning is likely more efficient than mashing... you'll hear people talk about 'pedaling circles' vs 'pedaling squares'.  You want circles;  you get squares if you're too tired, or in too hard a gear.

Rick - I know that area pretty well (or, well, at least I did).  Mom and Dad lived there from 1980 till 93 (when Dad passed).  We visited quite a few times, it's a really pretty part of the state (and country).  We saw footage on the news - and recognized quite a bit of the area.  Sorry about your ride, but glad you're ok.  That's actually a ride I've considered -- given enough time, and a good lottery ticket :)

Raffi: scary about that rear brake - at least you had one that was working; good call to get it sorted out before you had too much speed buildup.

As for me - good bit of riding here and there.  Weather has been very cooperative, but life, not so much.  Well, scheduling, rather than 'life', as it were.

Still, with a bit more good weather (not gonna happen this weekend. First rain in weeks is forecast. We need it), I'll manage to break 1k miles.  Poorest year, in years.  Middle of summer was horrible for riding. Bad work schedule, and an over abundance of miserably hot weather made for very few commuter miles this year.

And, of course - happy Thanksgiving, all of you. If you're traveling, do so safely.

--JT

meyery2k

Spinning has been proving more enjoyable than mashing.  My speed is not much slower either.  Much more energy at the end of a ride too.

raffi

As of this morning's commute, I've passed last year's mileage. This is certainly better than I expected a few months ago. If I can meet my minimums for December, I will be beat my mileage for the last few years. So far, our weather has been pretty good for riding and the forecast is for more of the same.

ORjt

Hi all,

As I suspected, Thanksgiving weekend was a bust, but not for the reason I anticipated.  No rain on either Saturday or Sunday. Instead, we got fog.  It's actually pretty rare here (PDX area).  Worst months are Oct and Nov, with an average of 6 days. Bah. Humbug!

Yesterday, though, was dry (after rain on Friday and Saturday), and no fog.  Got out for a really nice 'half metric' - 31.3 miles, solo, on the Ti bike. It was chilly (38F), but no breeze.  Full overcast giving way to broken clouds, blue sky, and a mysterious orb in the sky.  Really nice day for a bike ride :)

And with that, at least broke the 1k miles barrier for the year.  Paltry, but satisfying ...

It looks like we're headed for a cool, but dry winter.  That can be both good and bad - we really need the rain, but it may make for more riding opportunities. As long as we don't have frost on the roads ...

Stay safe out there!

JT

raffi

This winter certainly looks like it will be providing above average amounts of riding opportunities.  Now if the weather guessers could up their game a bit, I might actually be better prepared for what I get into.

This morning's commute featured lots of 0% chance of precipitation coming down in flurries and severely limiting visibility. When I started out, there were a few flakes coming down, but I had just checked the weather and the prediction was a very confident 0% chance, so I figured it would quickly pass. Silly me.

meyery2k

All the pads in all my shorts are worn out.  I tried my first set of bibs today.  100k ride and I really like them.  It took a little getting used to the shoulder straps but, towards the end of the ride, I was accustomed to the whole kit.

Thinking of 3 bibs and 3 or 4 shorts.  Shorts can still be good for shorter rides.

Question about care.  I rinse out the padding really well when I shower after riding and then hang them to air dry.  After 2 rides (or 3 shorts ones), I wash in cold water and tumble dry on low.  Thoughts?  Perhaps line drying would be better?