Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

raffi

2018 To boldly go biking

raffi

What you are doing does not sound unreasonable, but I do line dry instead of tumble dry. I have some shorts that are over a couple of years old and still usable.

ORjt

Hi all,

Out on Saturday for 21 miles. Skies were dry, roads were wet (from overnight rain), so I broke out the commuter (as it has fenders, the others do not).  Not a bad outing, but I felt really logy. Could have been the heavier bike - it's a good 5-6 pounds heavier than the other two. Still - it was nice to be out riding. (40F, damp/clammy.  I'm not complaining, I was out on a bike :) ... )

Re: bibs/shorts/laundry:  I've found I much prefer bibs, though I still have several pair of shorts that get used in two situations: 1) commuting - it's only 11 miles (one way), no point in getting the better bibs dirty.  2) I find that for winter tights, I prefer bibs w/o a pad, so I wear the regular shorts under the tights.  It's an extra layer of 'wind block'.

As to laundry, I *do* tumble dry, on the lowest setting. I've had no issues doing this, but our lowest setting doesn't have much heat to it (it's barely warmer than the 'no heat' setting).  As with most of life -- YMMV. (Oh, do zip up all zippers ... those can snag stuff ... )

Stay safe out there!

JT

meyery2k

Jan 31 is too rainy to ride so closing out the year...

7,166 miles/11,533 km

1 fall where I think I cracked a rib and I really whacked my knee

3 flats (rear tire had a sidewall injury I didn't catch and it was popping the tube)

I am going to go exclusively to metric next year since I am mostly doing that now.  

raffi

Meyery2k, Great milage for the year. If I recall you goal, you smashed way past it.

One last commute on the last day wrapped up my year.

4,438 miles for the year. Better than I had hoped for Also my seconds highest milage year (the highest is 1000 miles more, so not close)

My secondary goals of at least 100 miles a month and at least 1 commute each month was not a problem. In fact, other than February, I did at least 200 each month.

ORjt

Hi all,

Well, not really a 'bookend' (perhaps 'butterfly is a better term?) - got out both NYE, and NYD for rides - 21 and 15 miles respectively.  NYD was quite cold, with frost on the road --> thus the shorter ride.

2018 ended up at around 1050 miles - much lower than I'd like. Most of the delta from last year was the lack of commuting in the summer - too hot (many days well above 90), and too many work conflicts. Ah well.

Here's to a better 2019 for all of us.

JT