Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

frederidmarcel

is it possible not to eat vegetables at all

frederidmarcel

Wishing you a very happy 2018 :)

Since the end of last year, my FBG are around 110. I suppose doctors are very happy with these numbers, but I am not.

I am thinking of eating just meat, fish, eggs, cheese butter, soy yophurts and lettuce (plus 35 g of almonds).

And take multivitamins and minerals.

It be more simple than eat very small pieces of cucumber, avocado ... 

What do you think? Is it sustainable?

meyery2k

Good to see you back!

It looks like a good start but vegetable sure provide a lot of nutrition.  What do you think of squashes and cruciforms?  Specifically zucchini, crookneck, cauliflower, and broccoli?

adiantum

Hello Frederic, It is really good to see you again.

I hope you had a great birthday just 3 weeks ago and that 2018 is kind to you.

You share the same birthday as OneEye.

I dont know enough about nutrition and wonder if I myself eat enough vegetables.

I mostly have a cup of lettuce or baby spinach leaves a day while the latter is swimming in butter.

Would you get enough roughage with that proposed plan?

dowling gram

My thoughts are is your proposed diet sustainable. It can get pretty boring eating the same things all the time and you'd have very little roughage with only lettuce and almonds so you may have a problem with constipation. In addition you'd be eating a lot of protein which eventually turns to glucose so that may drive your numbers up instead of going down.

I think a balanced diet is the best and most sustainable approach. If that's your A1C  of 5.3 at the bottom of your post I wouldn't worry about your fasting numbers. Some people have higher fasting numbers but an over all good BG. It's just the way your body works

LaRue

I agree with dowling gram that if your A1C postings in your signature are any indication, you're doing great.

What is your BG right before you go to bed? What is it a couple hours after your first meal?

I've been following a keto diet for around 14 months, but my morning glucose is always over 100.

However, when I eat plenty of above the ground veg, plus avocado and olives, my randomly taken BG at various points during the day are plenty low. My A1C was higher than I liked (back into pre diabetic range) the last time it was taken in Oct, but I believe it was because for an extended time I was nursing various coughs, and injuries that caused inflamation. 

I don't like it that my FBG is over 100, but it seems it's the way my body works. Since I experience dawn syndrome so make sure my first meal has plenty of fat so I don't need to eat for hours.

For me personally, cutting out all veg would be setting myself up for failure, or at the least make my life much less joyful.

Kit

My personal opinion.

I would not drop above ground vegetables.  I personally believe that a healthy diet is a varied one.  We already have restrictions we can't really get around I would not feel comfortable dropping almost all plant based foods.

DG is also correct that large amounts of protein can have an affect on your numbers.  While it certainly doesn't affect me like carbs, protein can slow down my drop back to baseline.  Given that my large muscles start to hurt if my protein intake drops too low for too long a period of time, I often feel like I'm walking a tight rope.

And honestly, that's the total bitch, isn't it.  Its really hard to find a way to follow a truly ketogenic diet while eating what I consider to be normalish meals instead of a random jumble of various things in order to meet macro numbers.  I just can't personally do that.  I adore nuts, but there is no way they could be the only carb source in my diet.  I think I'd go crazy.

Your A1C is good.  Your morning readings may not be perfect, but you're still doing very well.  Even the Blood Sugar 101 site states normal non diabetic A1Cs are somewhere between 4.6 and 5.4.  That means you are in the truly normal range for A1C.  Yes, your morning readings may be higher than normal, but to have that A1c you are avoiding the spikes, and honestly I suspect the spikes are a major factor.

If I remember right, when you first came here, you were on insulin.  Now you're doing this without diabetes medications at all.  You are doing an excellent job.  You should feel very proud of your accomplishments.  :) 

Oh, I should add.  If it came between mo medications and having sauteed spinach and mushrooms with my eggs in the mornings, I'd take the meds, and have the spinach and mushrooms.

frederidmarcel

Thank you for your very friendly feedback.

My last A1C was 5.9. I will do a new one next week and let you know if I still belong to the 5% club 😃

I am worried because my FBG is usually 110 and I want it to go under 100 like I have since I started this adventure.

I am disappointed because I really thought I was controlling my diabetes easily.

But I realize I have to work harder to feel I am in a safe zone.

I am now 75 and feel quite happy to be who I am, difficulty to walk, arrhythmia and diabetes and all.

I am grateful to feel connected to you even when I am away from the forum.

Take care and keep growing :ridinghorse:

leww37334

I can tell you what fixed my dawn phenomena.  Yesterday morning glucose 134, today 98.  I found this tip on the net.  I ate 1/2 oz of cheese directly before bed last night it gives the body something to digest at night so the liver doesn't dump a ton of glucose into the bloodstream, also apple cider vinegar or just a green apple may help

leww37334
On 1/17/2018 at 12:42 PM, frederidmarcel said:

Wishing you a very happy 2018 :)

Since the end of last year, my FBG are around 110. I suppose doctors are very happy with these numbers, but I am not.

I am thinking of eating just meat, fish, eggs, cheese butter, soy yophurts and lettuce (plus 35 g of almonds).

And take multivitamins and minerals.

It be more simple than eat very small pieces of cucumber, avocado ... 

What do you think? Is it sustainable?

On 1/18/2018 at 10:48 AM, frederidmarcel said:

Thank you for your very friendly feedback.

My last A1C was 5.9. I will do a new one next week and let you know if I still belong to the 5% club 😃

I am worried because my FBG is usually 110 and I want it to go under 100 like I have since I started this adventure.

I am disappointed because I really thought I was controlling my diabetes easily.

But I realize I have to work harder to feel I am in a safe zone.

I am now 75 and feel quite happy to be who I am, difficulty to walk, arrhythmia and diabetes and all.

I am grateful to feel connected to you even when I am away from the forum.

Take care and keep growing :ridinghorse:

1 minute ago, leww37334 said:

I can tell you what fixed my dawn phenomena.  Yesterday morning glucose 134, today 98.  I found this tip on the net.  I ate 1/2 oz of cheese directly before bed last night it gives the body something to digest at night so the liver doesn't dump a ton of glucose into the bloodstream, also apple cider vinegar or just a green apple may help  also for vegetables look at radishes,  also my main go to has become diet jell0 and light cool whip 30 cal 3 gm carb and very filling

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.