Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  
PepsiLvr

670g auto mode is driving me crazy!

PepsiLvr

** I just realized this should probably be moved to the "pumping insulin" forum.  Moderator- please move.  Sorry.

Hi Everyone,

It's been a while since I've been on the forums but I have a new pump and thought I'd share some experiences and see if anyone might be having the same trouble.

I have the new MiniMed 670g with the sensor.  I was sold on the "auto mode" which is supposed to prevent lows and highs by adjusting the basil rate "within reason"

Here's the problem I'm having:  It seems the suggested boluses are incorrect or the algorithm to suggest corrections is flawed (at least according to my prior way of doing things)

Here's the scenario:  

Pump Status:

Mode: Auto

Last Bolus: 1.3u @ 08:20

Last BG: 263 @ 09:23

Basil: Auto (I love how you don't really know what it is when it's in auto :unsure: )

Active insulin: 0.4u

Current BG: 263

Target: 83-100

Carbs: 0

Sensitivity: 20 mg/dl  per unit

The correction it suggests is a mere 2.6 units.  Now logic tells me that the correction should be more.  Let's do the math.  To get to a BG of 100 mg/dl we would take 263-100 and get 163.  163/20(sensitivity) = 8.15u  Anyone disagree?   I do understand the "auto basil" is supposedly working in the background but I'd rather bolus for the correction and let "auto basil" adjust itself accordingly when we get to the point of dropping to the target.  I feel like it is taking a lot longer than it should in order to get my BG back down to normal as compared to my old pump without "auto mode".  

Has anyone else had the same or similar experience?  Am I thinking about this the wrong way?  

Edited by PepsiLvr

don1942

Your calculation certainly follows logic. However, it would be interesting to know what the “auto basil” rate ( micro bolus as Medtronic calls it) increases to offset the high BG. 

My unprofessional opinion is that when BG is high, the resistance factor (the amount of BGs reduced by 1 unit of insulin) becomes lower which is not accounted for in the Medtronic algarithm. I will not be in auto mode until next week, but I would test doing an additional manual bolus of one or two units when my BGs are over 200.

Edited by don1942

Bar&In

Sorry to hear. My endo was recommending to me last visit this particular pump and I immediately informed her I was not interested. I’m not a fan of giving total control to a machine, especially when it comes to administrating insulin. 

don1942

Visited my retinologist today and was advised that everything continues stable which he attributed to improved BG control. I attribute the BG control to my insulin pump.. Though the pump takes over control, it is not total. It takes care of things when you are too occupied with other daily needs which is a very good thing; however, the sensor monitors your condition and reports when things start to go awry. At this point you can take back control and administer a “correction bolus.” Not as easy as in manual mode, but can be accomplished by using the Fill Cannula process, fake a carb intake, or switching back to manual mode.

keeping BGs under control is worth the sacrifice of letting a machine do the job that you are no longer capable of doing on your own 24/7.

Edited by don1942

Finfan

I actually gave up on the auto-mode.  In my case it was because of the ceaseless alerts.  It would go off at least every two hours day or night for one reason or another.  The Medtronic rep told me it is called "alarm fatigue" so it must be pretty common if they have a name for it.  I compensate by testing my BG around 6 to 8 times a day  I also have noticed that I need to boost most of the calculated boluses on a sliding scale depending upon how high my sugar is.  I should probably adjust my settings but the system I'm currently using seems to work so I hesitate to mess with it.

milespro

I'm ordering a 670 and the Medtronic rep indicated they updated the system to have 90% less alarms in December.  Hopefully its better!