Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rob43

News, Insulin quality questions have diabetes experts scrambling

Rob43

TRENTON, N.J. (AP) — Preliminary research suggesting that some diabetes patients may be injecting medicine that has partially disintegrated is causing concern even as serious questions are raised about the research itself.

The study author, a pharmacist, bought vials of insulin at a number of pharmacies and found that on average the vials had less than half of what was listed on the label and none met a minimum standard.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-care/insulin-quality-questions-have-diabetes-experts-scrambling-n846001

Coravh

This has been making the rounds. Technically speaking, it's a very poor study in that only 18 vials of insulin were examined, and they came from all sorts of different places.

Does more study need to be done? Yes. But don't read too much into this study as it's not anywhere near complete. There are a thousand and one reasons why your bg may go up for unexpected reasons. I can tell you that for myself, switching to a new bottle of insulin has never made any significant difference.

Hammer

I get my insulin shipped to me from a mail order pharmacy that my insurance requires me to use.  I have had issues in the past with this pharmacy, about shipping the insulin at the proper temperatures, but those issues have been resolved, so considering that this is probably the largest mail order pharmacy in the country, I would think that they keep close tabs on the insulin they offer.  They now ship my insulin overnight, in styrofoam coolers, with a few ice packs inside the cooler, along with the boxes of insulin pens.  Since they have been doing that, I haven't had any insulin pens go bad on me.

JohnSchroeder

Yeah, it's a bit concerning.  But the best way to know if your insulin is working is by testing your blood sugar.  I'll admit to dosing myself with enough insulin to cause a low before just to make sure that the insulin was actually working.  Obviously keeping some carbs nearby..... nothing dangerous.  

And while rare, I have thrown out partially filled pens or vials before.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.