Diabetes forums
Sign in to follow this  
Rob43

Does this really work? Test without needles.

Coravh

The libre is not 'needle less'. It is like every other cgm on the market where you have to implant it. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles and alarms that the medtronic and the dexcom have,  but it is reliable, easy to put in, and gives decent info. Dr ponder took it for a side-by-side test drive with his dexcom, and it fared pretty well.

http://www.sugarsurfing.com/single-post/2018/01/06/Libre-vs-Dex-A-Sugar-Surfers-experience

Gladtobehere

I am 3 sensors into the Libre.  I like it a lot compared to finger sticking.  It is soooo easy at 1 am to do a scan and correction.  Also the trend line which appears with the bg numbers tells you if you need to take action for an eventual low or not.

My only beef.  The Libre indicates a lower bg value than I was getting from my Onetouch meter.  For now I am doing regular corrections to compensate.

JohnSchroeder

I'm about 3 days into using the Libre.  Really liking it.  The first day it was reading WAY low, 20-50 points lower than traditional tests.  Don't know why, but it sorted itself out by the afternoon.  It actually gave me  LO once when my relion prime said 75.

But like I said, it sorted itself out quickly and seems to match now.  I'm trusting it more now.  But its so much faster than sticking yourself.  The speed is actually more attractive to me than the fact you don't have to stick yourself.  Literally takes less than 5 seconds to test from thinking about it to result.

JohnSchroeder

Question for anyone who has been using it... is the trend line that it shows actual measured blood sugar between tests?  Or is it just a straight line from where your previous reading was?

Gladtobehere

I believe the trend line is the result of contiuous BG readings.   Libre is a CGM device and stores up to  8 hours of data.

JohnSchroeder

You are correct.  After another day of usage I can see how the historical sugars are not just straight lines from previous data points.

Gladtobehere

I am planning to use the Libre as my meter when I switch from the Animas Ping to the Medtronic pump.

Because the BG values are consistantly low I plan to apply a correction value to the Libre values

Except for the low values I really like the Libre experience.

I believe anyone who can afford the Libre should give it a try as a step toward CGM.

JohnSchroeder

I'll second what Gladtobehere said.  Been using it for 8 days now and my insights from it and improved control are striking.  I wasn't off the rails or anything beforehand, but my effective A1c since using this is probably closer to 5.0 than to 6.0.  The graphs, the average BGS broken out by time of day and just being able to visually see the effects of various foods and insulin graphed is immensely helpful.

Gladtobehere

The more I use it the more I like it.  I don't even mind the auto insertion device, despite an ugly start with auto inserting infusion sets many years ago.

I will be visiting my Deducator on Friday to see if we can work the Libre into my regime.  I am beggining to think that I need to do a reset on my pumping values.  Basals ,  carb ratios and such.

Gladtobehere

I have decided to simply rely on the Libre BG values as reported.   The fact that the readings are consistently lower by about 25% is not a big deal when your BG is in range or close.  It just takes a little longer to recover from a fairly high BG number. 

So no mental gymnastics or juggling a calculator.  As usual just deal with the trends and shoot for a slightly lower BG target. Like maybe half a mmol lower.

I am converted to Freestyle Libre.  The benefits OUT WEIGH any deficiency. 

Edited by Gladtobehere
Typo and there may be more :-)

luckharm

I have been using the libre system for abut 2 months now and it was love at first sight!  It took me forever to get my insurance to pay for it, but it was worth all of the phone calls.  By the way,  an Abbott customer service person told me about Edgepark.  I now get my sensors from them and they cost me $0.  They worked with my insurance and told me that they would be fully covered.  Anyway,  I find this system, so much better that pricking my finger 4 times a day.  Now. I can scan anytime I want and see what the trend is and adjust accordingly.  I also want to give kudos to Abbot.  I had some problems with several sensors, where  they stopped working after a few days and they sent me a new one, no questions asked.