Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ran23

M$ forcing updates?

ran23

I stepped away from my Lenovo M72e Win 10 1607 while it was running utilities.  Came back to see my browser off and showing updates were installing that require multiple reboots.  I knew this was not a mere update, so I powered down.     Booted up to see ' trying to restore previous version'     10 minutes later I am back on line. 

According to Lenovo, I can't do the latest 17xx update (this PC is about 2010 Corei5)  Will have to keep an eye on this now.  

Kenton

I used the local policy editor to disable auto updates on mine and did the hack to install the editor on my wife's  non win 10 professional machine.

I had to go in between reboots and remove the updates. Mine just kept rebooting daily.

control

Back in the days when I developed on Windows, I made a checklist for new boxes and turning off automatic updates was high on the list.  Many updates are buggy and requires updates themselves.  I typically waited a month or so before choosing to install patches, etc.  I did keep an extra box around for each OS and used them to test updates sometimes, but quite often didn't have the time to beta test stuff for Microsoft, et al. 

I typically keep all my boxes pretty locked down, so that very little happens automatically. 

ran23

about every 1-2 hours, the win 10 Update Assistant load and starts downloading.  usually the window is on top, luckily.  I then uninstall it, and magic, it is back later.     

JohnSchroeder

Microsoft doing what it thinks is best without any care what the user thinks/wants?

In other news, rain is wet.

ran23

Well, It loaded sometime, suddenly saw a reboot for it.  Tried 'installed updates' and deleted the last one.   It called for a reboot.  and that reboot was the 1709 Creator Update.   This 2010 Lenovo quad core i5 is listed not to run it.   well, so far, everything is running fine.   faster.  I'm on the Lenovo forum and letting them know now.     fun times.     

Kenton

Mine worked fine until it did the update for /spectre . Something about that update and my system did not work well. After  a day of constant reboots I went in and removed the update. Then had to go in and disable update so it stopped trying to install it. I notice they pulled the patch shortly after so I must have not been the only one it hammered. I like what I did though, it allows me to wait and watch before I allow the updates now.

ran23

Well Day 2 and no problems.  Start Menu is different, new programs loaded to deal with.  Surprised no one on the Lenovo Forum is commenting on this, still lots have BSOD with this update.  No new updates listed this morning.    Thanks all.

Kenton
1 hour ago, ran23 said:

Well Day 2 and no problems.  Start Menu is different, new programs loaded to deal with.  Surprised no one on the Lenovo Forum is commenting on this, still lots have BSOD with this update.  No new updates listed this morning.    Thanks all.

It could be issues with what is loaded on the machine. My wife's and my machine are the same, except mine has 10 Pro and hers is the home edition. But I also have the android SDK and studio and a few other related items loaded.  Mine went into constant reboot while her's just slightly slowed.

ran23

this 1709 is fast.   Disc Scan is quick.  I never checked boot time, but I think this faster also. One of the G5 games usually takes 7 minutes to do something, now it is 4 minutes.  It has been a month, not waiting for the other shoe to drop now.  Other all, I am happy with this.  Wish Lenovo would give their blessing on it.     

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.