Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marisolrodm

Ultrasound Renal

Marisolrodm

Hello, 

I had recently posted about being worried about my random urine test being abnormal (creatinine/albumin ratio) was high. I talked to my doctor over being so stressed about it. My BP has also been a little high also but she’s not worried about it. I was scared about CKD since HP and KD are linked. She decided to take a ultrasound of my kidneys and turns out everything is okay. So now I’m just confused about my creatinine/albumin test and my recent higher BP readings. 

dowling gram

Higher BP readings could be caused by the stress that you are feeling about everything that has gone on. Stress is a biggie when it comes to BP readings.

If everything is OK with your kidneys I wonder if the lab is screwing up some how. Have you always gone to the same lab? If so maybe your doctor could send you for another blood test and you could try a different lab. You might get a different result.

Marisolrodm

That’s what I’ve been thinking. I’ve been having some anxiety/stress which doesn’t help. I have always gotten my lab work done there. I will definitely ask my docter to get lab work done in another lab. Everything just seems odd to be. My doctor keeps telling that she’s sure it’s due to my diabetes. 

dowling gram

Well It may be due to your diabetes but with all the diabetics here and all the questions that are asked no one has ever mentioned a wild number in the albumin/creatinine ratio. Labs are done by people and people make mistakes and sometimes they don't use the right calculations. If nothing else you'll know more about the situation with another blood test at another lab.

Please let us know what the results are with the new lab

Marisolrodm

This is what my results of the us renal said:  

IMPRESSION:
1. Normal sonographic appearance of the kidneys and bladder.

RECOMMENDATION:
1. None.

Narrative

EXAM: US RENAL

INDICATION: peristent microalbuminuria, despite excellent DM control RENAL FAILURE, CHRONIC

COMPARISON: Right upper quadrant ultrasound on March 30, 2017

TECHNIQUE: Gray-scale, color, and spectral Doppler ultrasound of the kidneys.

FINDINGS:

Urinary System:
Right Kidney:
Size: 12.0 x 5.8 x 5.0 cm
Echogenicity: Normal
Hydronephrosis: None
Mass: None
Vasculature: Visualized main renal artery and vein are patent with appropriate waveforms.
Left Kidney:
Size: 12.4 x 5.4 x 5.6 cm
Echogenicity: Normal
Hydronephrosis: None
Mass: None
Vasculature: Visualized main renal artery and vein are patent with appropriate waveforms.
Bladder: No wall thickening. No significant postvoid residual. Bilateral ureteral jets visualized.

I will let you know about my results my blood work has normal my creatinine levels are actually always low since being diagnosed my last was blood work was: 

Sodium 140   136 - 145 mmol/L  
  Potassium 3.6   3.4 - 4.8 mmol/L  
  Chloride 106   98 - 107 mmol/L  
  CO2 23   22 - 29 mmol/L  
  Bun 14   7 - 19 mg/dL  
  Creatinine 0.4 (L) 0.6 - 1.1 mg/dL  
  Glucose 81   74 - 99 mg/dL  
  Calcium 10.2   8.5 - 10.5    
  Total Protein 8.2   6.0 - 8.3 g/dL  
  Albumin 4.9   3.2 - 5.2 g/dL Final
  Total Bilirubin 0.5   0.3 - 1.2 mg/dL Final
  Alk Phos 61   40 - 150   Final
  Ast 25   <35 U/L Final
  Alt 34   <55 U/L Final
  Anion Gap 11   5 - 15 mmol/L Final
  est GFR 144       Final
  est GFR For African Americans 166  

I forgot to mention that my albumin random test was 

Component Value Flag Ref Range Units Status
  Albumin, Urine 35.0     ug/mL Final
  Creatinine, Urine 32.9     mg/dL Final
  Albumin/Creatinine Ratio

Coravh

Marisol, are you doing LCHF? If so, it can artificially skew your ACR (albumin/creatinine ratio). For people who eat this way, this is one of the few tests that will not be reliable. If your blood work is ok (testing for kidney stuff) then you shouldn't worry. The first sign of kidney damage is usually too much protein in the urine. But the ACR doesn't really indicate how much protein is present, so a straight examination for protein is a better indicator. And in the early stages of diabetic renal disease, an u/s is moderately useless as well as there typically is no sign of issues.

Marisolrodm
59 minutes ago, Coravh said:

Marisol, are you doing LCHF? If so, it can artificially skew your ACR (albumin/creatinine ratio). For people who eat this way, this is one of the few tests that will not be reliable. If your blood work is ok (testing for kidney stuff) then you shouldn't worry. The first sign of kidney damage is usually too much protein in the urine. But the ACR doesn't really indicate how much protein is present, so a straight examination for protein is a better indicator. And in the early stages of diabetic renal disease, an u/s is moderately useless as well as there typically is no sign of issues.

Thank you for your response! Yes I’m on a LCHF diet. what kind of tests would that be for protein in the urine? When I was first diagnosed in 2016 my docter did a urinalysis and my protein was at 3+ I’m wondering if I already had diabetes for several years before and my kidneys where already damaged at diagnosis. 

Coravh

Marisol, the best test (done roughly once per year) is the 24 hour urinalysis with accompanying blood work. It will give you the best idea of how much total protein (albumin, most often measured) is being expelled by your kidney. The pee-in-a-cup type tests can be skewed by a number of things. The best thing you can do now is keep good control of your bgs and keep hydrated (and cut back on salt)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.