Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  
Bar&In

Lifting Weights

Bar&In

I always run but haven’t lifted weights in years until recently, here is my dilemma. 

Considering bolusing prior to lifting weights and here is why. Any time I lift weights I am usually 80 - 100 prior but post weight lifting session I am 280+ and it’s getting old, counterproductive really. I’m assuming the intensity and strenuous workouts spike my BG but don’t really know what to do at this point. 

Cardio I remain level or may drop 15 - 20 points throughout a run so this isn’t included in above, would be suicide to mix insulin and cardio. 

Thoughts? 

macksvicky

Since I'm a type 2 and only use a basil insulin things may be a lot different. I can lift for an hour or two and come out of the gym in the 50's, once I found myself at 42.  I can power walk for the same amount of time and actually gain 20 to 30 points but weight lifting makes me drop like a rock. I do keep 2 or 3 reasonably carbed protein bars in my gym bag and a meter to ward off nasty surprises. I check before lifting and sometimes eat a bar before my workout and don't have any lows. Maybe a bolus would be beneficial for you.

Bar&In
12 hours ago, macksvicky said:

Since I'm a type 2 and only use a basil insulin things may be a lot different. I can lift for an hour or two and come out of the gym in the 50's, once I found myself at 42.  I can power walk for the same amount of time and actually gain 20 to 30 points but weight lifting makes me drop like a rock. I do keep 2 or 3 reasonably carbed protein bars in my gym bag and a meter to ward off nasty surprises. I check before lifting and sometimes eat a bar before my workout and don't have any lows. Maybe a bolus would be beneficial for you.

Thanks for replying! That’s interesting that we have the complete opposite outcomes. 

DanG

Could your 280 after weight lifting be a function of liver dump to cover low blood sugar?  i.e. perhaps eat carbs prior to workout?  perhaps check blood sugar several times through your workout?

macksvicky

Checking throughout your workout sounds like a great idea, if you see a sudden drop then a spike that may be your liver being helpful, if you gradually keep climbing then you know eating some carbs and/or a bolus might be a good idea.

I hope you get it figured out, lifting doesn't sound like something you want to quit doing.

Bar&In
18 hours ago, DanG said:

Could your 280 after weight lifting be a function of liver dump to cover low blood sugar?  i.e. perhaps eat carbs prior to workout?  perhaps check blood sugar several times through your workout?

No, I lift at night so not a LD/DP. 

I may check my BS throughout course of lifts but I do circuit training within timeframes so may be a problem. Another plan may be to bang my cardio out prior so I am relatively low (70 or so) then hit weights hard and hopefully keep it under 140 max.

Thanks for suggestions. 

macksvicky

I lift after work myself, no way I'm getting up at 3:30 to be at the gym when they open at 5 which doesn't leave enough time to do the weights I want, shower and get to the office.

Since we seem to be opposites, cardio prior to weights may solve your problem. Since the weather is warming up, I started doing some power walking again. A couple of miles at lunch and last night was a 4 mile power walk. Pre walk 78, post walk 111, post weights 82. Your cardio should lower you enough that the weights hopefully won't raise you much.

I wish you well on the experiment :) 

Java

i know nothing about insulin but wanted to say good luck figuring out something that works for you, B&I ~ that's amazing that lifting spikes you so bad

miss V & i are lifting buddies even though we live so far apart ~ we text each other our workouts and keep each other motivated

we LOVE lifting 

:rock:

bestpenispump

Checking throughout your workout sounds like a great idea, if you see a sudden drop then a spike that may be your liver being helpful, if you gradually keep climbing then you know eating some carbs and/or a bolus might be a good idea.

Type 2 Fighter

That recent published study of intermittent intensity in exercise showed improved insulin sensitivity after 3 months. 

I see spikes w weight training but am experimenting for 3 months to see if the overall improvement is the result. 

I get a spike w intense lifting (dead lifts, squats) but lowered BG with 30 min of walking. 

Everything about resistance training makes sense.  

Grover Ramsey

I know that my friend goes to the gym and he is okay,) But he doesn't run a lot therefore I think you need to ask in a doctor or a professional trainer who has the same problem,)

Cajarn

I have never run on my own, but for more than a year now I have been going to the gym and I have no problems.