Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

georgepds

So what happened to everybody

georgepds

I’ve been a member since about 2007. I really enjoy coming here and learning .

But.. compared to back in the day… it has been really quiet here.

Where did everyone go?

Diana_CT

I noticed that myself... things have been getting quite around here

My thoughts are that people come here and learn how to control their diabetes and then move on. It is like that on many support forums.

don1942

Seems morning FBG readings, chit chat, and are you on a diet to lose weight are dominating the Forums.   Other topics relating to specific issues have become less frequent.

adiantum

If it wasnt for those threads like FBG,chit chat & weight loss then df wouldnt even register on the first 100 pages of googles directory.

At least theyre keeping the forum active.

Most type2 have their condition under control so will only visit if they need it.

Unlike me, as I'm so forgetful that I'd forget I had D if I didnt test each morning.

Posting the FBG is my constant reminder that I'm not doing so well .

There was a thread in chit chat that caused a lot of grief & members leaving.

Some members became dogmatic & continued with their type of reasoning every time someone  posted their viewpoint.

Really nasty PM's were sent & although theres the option to report, the realisation that these type of people are not  their desired companions, so left.

Don, do you have any idea why specific d  issues are not being discussed much?

I have a lot to learn & will need your information when I start taking meds.

Hammer

If I were to take a guess, it might be that, when people first come here, they ask lots of questions and they're given good advice.  As time goes on, those people find that they are spending more and more time here in the forums, reading posts and answering posts, so they eventually taper off their postings, until they only come back once in a while, or, they only read the posts, but they don't post, so as to not to take up too much of their time.  This forum can be addictive, since it's like a big family, and we are always interested in what's happening in the "family".

georgepds

I noticed a drop off with the interface change.. but that cant be it entirely. I noticed some posters who were once here on more active forums 

I hope it does not disappear, I recently went back and read most of jillybeans posts, and found them very informative

Fraser

Actually I checked in, the site is no longer relevant, there is no way I would continue on this site when the major thread is about guns not diabetes, then we seem to accept people who post racist comments, I believe also some have left, because of rude members. And the felt harassed 

nothing is happening because the responsible people have left. Unfortunate but true

georgepds

Wow Fraser.. I never saw any of that.. I mostly read the T2section. . Must have happened elsewhere

As to forum format... when it first changed I had a hard time just finding the forums

Fraser

Well can no longer respect this site.  Yep you know guns no one posted about the people who died 

and directly at Hammer, for some reason on a thread about car you turned it into a racist thread about slantieyed eyed people. Which you thought was cute cute, it wasn't. It also happened to be the week my daughter was engaged to a wonderful man of Japanese American decent. It would have been nice to share but I don't expose my children to racism. 

I am sure I will banned for life here.  But this site really needs to decide what subject it covers

and will to get rid of negative influences like hammer plus some others.

i do miss the old site.  

Dave_KC

Ummm...  hi.  

I'm around, although life sometimes doesn't allow as much posting.  I tend to ignore the threads about guns, etc. 

dowling gram

Frazer you have a very negative view and you don't read all the posts and you are not very tolerant. I'm sorry if what is posted is not to your liking. I don't like everything that's posted either but I ignore what I don't like and respect the person's right to post or comment. I did post about all the kids who died in that shooting. I felt very bad about all the parents who lost the light of their lives because of a mentally ill kid who had access to an assault rifle.

If I had read it I would have taken to task the poster who was racist as would many here. If you had posted about your SIL to be I'm sure you would have gotten many congrats. I know I would have posted that.

The reason there are so few posts about diabetes is that after you know how to control diabetes there is not much to say except to post recipes or answer newbies and I do both. Many of us have made friends here and catching up on what is happening in their lives is part of why we stay on this site. I don't always post but I do read most of what is posted

JohnSchroeder
16 hours ago, OneEye said:

I've noticed a large drop-off since the user interface changed.

This.  While I've grown used to it now, I hated the interface change and almost left the site completely myself.

Assuming Tony uses GA (Google analytics), he should easily be able to see daily users and average time on site for before and after the site redesign.  I suspect its a drop off a cliff.

meyery2k

At first, I needed to learn all that I could about diabetes so the posts about diabetes, diet, and care were of the greatest interest to me.  In time, I made friends that we could share our experiences with.  If this site concentrated solely upon diabetes, I would have left long ago.  People come to these sites wondering how they are going to live with diabetes.  After the basics are covered like testing, diet, using insulin, and so on, the next step is how to live with diabetes.  I know, for me, it was helpful to see that we live and function just like everybody else.  We have interests, hopes, dreams, challenges, and upsets.  We have friends here to share them with and help carry the load on the tougher days.

There are posts and topics that don't interest me so I don't really look at them.  I can't say with certainty there was never a racist post made here but I am sure the members of the site would police that.

The gun thread is obviously an emotionally charged one.  I followed it for a time, offered what my opinion was, and then lost interest in it.  I don't want to come across as "smart" but that thread will never bother me because I don't follow it.  I am not forced to look at it or respond in any way if I choose not to.

It saddens me to see the rancor that has creeped in and I don't have any idea of a solution except that I can keep on keeping on.  I will maintain my friendships here and, if a new person asks for help, offer it freely as it was offered to me.  In time, my hope is that the people that were here regularly will return again.  I also hope we will get some "new" regulars as time passes.

My though is that this site is very relevant as far as diabetes is concerned.  It goes past the "I have it, what do I do?" How much more relevance can you ask for?

don1942
20 hours ago, adiantum said:

Don, do you have any idea why specific d  issues are not being discussed much?

I have a lot to learn & will need your information when I start taking meds.

I can see the importance of keeping a high profile on Google. However, I normally skip over these threads in search of posts covering information on insulin pumps and sensors for which i have a lot of experience and would like to provide advice to new/potential users. I just started on the Medtronic 670G would like to learn more from other 670 users. As an insulin user, I am attracted to discussions on highs and lows.

I have developed complications (eyes, neuropathy. ED, etc) and I come here to the look for discussions on these topics.

20 hours ago, adiantum said:

meyery2k

I gave this a lot of thought today and as ironic as it might seem, DF allows me to get away from diabetes.  Especially chit chat and the cycling thread.  I live with diabetes every day.  It is always there when I wake up to test my glucose, when I eat, when I want to attend a social function and so on.  At the job site today, someone brought donuts to generously share with everyone.  The person offering insisted out of simple desire to share that I have one which I had to turn down.  That sucked for both of us as I would really have enjoyed a donut and the person offering was simply being kind.  I don't want to go into a big thing about having diabetes so I just explain that I don't eat donuts anymore.

I then logged into DF and saw Lee's posts about emus and that cheered me up.  I was able to share my rain picture.  DF, strangely, lets me get away from diabetes for a time because for the most part we all have diabetes (which is the elephant in the room) and we get away from that and talk about life.  I see this as a great strength on this forum which keeps me coming back.

This is a good place.  I believe in it.  It has helped me and many others.  Perhaps, like many things in life, it is going through a rough patch now but DF helped me when my chips were down so the least I can do is to return the favor.

Hammer
On 2/23/2018 at 0:09 AM, Fraser said:

Well can no longer respect this site.  Yep you know guns no one posted about the people who died 

and directly at Hammer, for some reason on a thread about car you turned it into a racist thread about slantieyed eyed people. Which you thought was cute cute, it wasn't. It also happened to be the week my daughter was engaged to a wonderful man of Japanese American decent. It would have been nice to share but I don't expose my children to racism. 

I am sure I will banned for life here.  But this site really needs to decide what subject it covers

and will to get rid of negative influences like hammer plus some others.

i do miss the old site.  

Fraser, I don't know how you decided that I was a racist because I said in one thread that I would never buy an Asian car because it puts Americans out of work, but I've noticed that you have some sort of dislike for me for whatever reason.  By the same token, I have noticed that if someone posts something that you don't like, you have to attack that person because their opinion doesn't agree with yours.  As long as people agree with you, you are happy, but if they don't agree with you, then you think that they should be banned, or their posts should be deleted by the moderators.  Why don't you grow up and accept that not everyone shares your opinions?  It appears that you are too thin skinned to listen to other peoples view points.  I have never attacked anyone here, because I respect everyone here, but reading your post made me angry.  I am NOT a racist, and I take offense that you said that!  I love the Asian people, and as my ex-wife would tell you, I am strongly attracted to Asian women....I think they are some of the most beautiful women on the planet! 

I like guns, as do a number of other people here, but you don't like guns, so you attack me for liking guns. Just because I like guns doesn't mean that I have no feelings towards those people that were shot in the various mass shootings that we've had recently, but those shootings have nothing to do with guns, they have to do with a sick person's mental health problems, but for some reason, you can't seem to understand that, so you attack me for liking guns.  

Fraser, I have nothing against you, and if you don't like my posts, don't read them, it's as simple as that, but don't label me as a racist, because I am not a racist!  Now I figure that you'll also label me as being homophobic because I posted this post, that I doubt that you'll like, and since you are gay, you'll feel that I'm against gay people, which I am not.  If you met me in person, you would see that I am a very easy going person that gets along with everybody.  I have no prejudices or ill feelings towards anyone, and that includes you.  I don't dislike you, I respect your views on various topics, and even though I may not agree with your views, I would never insult you by giving you a label, like calling you a racist.  Name calling never solves anything, it just stirs up ill-feelings, and I don't like to stir up ill-feelings.

JanetP

DF used to be my major support for diabetes management and a way to connect with people I cared about. I made a lot of dear friends here and was glad to have an outlet to talk about things other than diabetes.  But then things changed.  The change happened before Tony changed the format.  There was bullying and misrepresentation both on-line and in personal, off-format communications.  Forums began to be dominated by one or two people and there did not seem to be room for civil discussion or friendly disagreement.  People seemed to have forgotten their manners and the family atmosphere.  

Java

what miss JP said

so i am now happily staying in touch with certain members via texting and emailing and have no interest in returning here regularly at the moment

i loved DF, i appreciate all the knowledge the members shared about managing diabetes and i appreciate the friendships i made here but i watched things take a sour turn and it has spoiled what once was a nice distraction from life

i am very sensitive to feelings and emotions and that negativity just became too much for me to shrug off

:(

meyery2k

This could be the perspective of a more recent member and, again, I am not sure what the solution is right now but the beginning to a solution would be to identify and state the problem which is starting to happen.

Some of the comments in this thread remind me of a neighborhood in which someone starts to tag with graffiti.  The neighborhood seems to have "deteriorated" to the point where the residents are leaving.  Almost like urban flight.  So now the question becomes how to take back our neighborhood and make it ours.

How do we do this?

Hawaiians have a term called Ho'oponopono.  Pono, which means to make right, is encountered 2 times because there are 2 sides (that is my take anyway).  The idea is to open dialogue in which forgiveness and reconciliation might occur.  Ho'o is simply "to do" so literally to make right make right.  It is a gradual process and can become quite charged but it also can be very effective.

I ripped this from Wikipedia but it gives a great idea how this works.  Perhaps one of our senior members or mods could be the "elder" (kupuna) that could conduct this.  My thinking is that there could be a thread than works solely towards solving some of this ill will and putting it behind us, then DF can shine once again.

Hoʻoponopono corrects, restores and maintains good relationships among family members and with their gods or God by getting to the causes and sources of trouble. Usually the most senior member of the family conducts it. He or she gathers the family together. If the family is unable to work through a problem, they turn to a respected outsider.

The process begins with prayer. A statement of the problem is made, and the transgression discussed. Family members are expected to work problems through and cooperate, not "hold fast to the fault". One or more periods of silence may be taken for reflection on the entanglement of emotions and injuries. Everyone's feelings are acknowledged. Then confession, repentance and forgiveness take place. Everyone releases (kala) each other, letting go. They cut off the past (ʻoki), and together they close the event with a ceremonial feast, called pani, which often included eating limu kala or kala seaweed, symbolic of the release.

I have participated in a few sessions over matters at work and  some seemingly insurmountable problems were solved.  Like many things in life, no one walked away 100% happy, but we all had something workable and were able to put past bad feelings behind.

Thoughts?  I am often told that I am good at identifying problems but when asked for a solution, I give the "deer in the headlights" look so this is my take. 

don1942

Perhaps the Moderators can start new threads to address various issues that they deem worth discussing.

Dave_KC

I'm a relative newbie around here, so I don't know what the past was, but I do know that I've enjoyed the learning and encouragement here.  I'm not all that interested in conflicts online, as often it's easy to live behind the anonymity of the web.  

But I just want to make it heard that while I don't know the past, I appreciate the input and advise from the present.  We're not all going to agree on everything, but this is about diabetes, not about countries of manufacture of cars or firearms.  

I appreciate the input I get here for support and dealing with the diabetes I have, and I'm very grateful that shortly after I was diagnosed I found this site, and found encouragement to attack this vigorously.  That has been a tremendous help, and I appreciate it.  I don't, and probably won't, contribute tons to some of the off subject discussions, but I will where I want. 

Anyway, I really do appreciate what I've learned here. 

Rad Warrier
On 2/22/2018 at 0:31 PM, georgepds said:

I’ve been a member since about 2007. I really enjoy coming here and learning .

But.. compared to back in the day… it has been really quiet here.

Where did everyone go?

On 2/22/2018 at 1:21 PM, Diana_CT said:

I noticed that myself... things have been getting quite around here

My thoughts are that people come here and learn how to control their diabetes and then move on. It is like that on many support forums.

I have been a member of this forum for more than 9 years - I joined DF in the second half of 2008.  I have been a member of several other e-forums dedicated to subjects other than diabetes, such as linguistics, history, civilization and so on. All the e-forums I have been a member of share the following characteristic:

A forum begins, there is a quick ramp up of activity which reaches a peak and then slowly declines.  The decline may reach a plateau or may continue.  This is shown pictorially below.

Forum_Activity.thumb.jpg.fa802ff09c6aa0ea48b4c085610b6228.jpg

I think this has to do with a basic human characteristic.  Build up of interest in new things, but as time passes and as the thing remains no longer "new", declining of the interest.  In addition to this, in the case of diabetes related e-forums, what Diana said also seems to apply.

Regards,

Rad

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.