Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

georgepds

So what happened to everybody

princesslinda

I came here in 2006, not long after I was diagnosed with T2 diabetes.  I was scared, and the members here welcomed me and gave me hope.  The forum was very active those days, and I have made a few lifelong friends here, met one and have talked with others on occasion.  Now I'm nearly 12 years in, and I'm used to all I have to do to manage things.  Diabetes doesn't terrorize me as it did at first.  I think this is true for many people. They come here freaked out, learn to deal with diabetes and then get on with their life.  The forums tend to cycle over time.  Members come, members go, some stay.  There have always been controversies of some sort, whether in chit-chat or in ways of eating and treating diabetes. Some people get very passionate about things and discussions get heated. Some get their feelings hurt and leave. Some get aggravated, speak their minds and hang around, just as you would in any family.  I've always considered DF to be like a family.  My "faceless friends" have helped me in ways my "real" family couldn't. I, in turn, tried to be helpful also.

Use the forums for information, make friends where you can.  If something bothers you try to ignore it. If you can't ignore it, report it.  The forums aren't perfect, as we all imperfect people getting through life as best we can.  It's your forum, it's my forum. Let's make it the best it can be, what we want it to be.

In the last several months, life has kept me from being around much, but it's so great to come here and see some of the same people I consider my diabetic family from "way back."  Hopefully we can continue to grow and be relevant for years to come.

Kit

I just have one thing to add.

If you would like to see more content in the forums of interest to you, create it!  If you'd like to see discussions on exercise, or medications, the pros and cons of a new insulin pump, various complications, etc, create it!  Ask people their opinions, or their experiences.  Tell people about yours.  Conversations can't start if someone doesn't actively start them.

Its not fair to blame others for not being psychic and handing you exactly what you want.

rzrbks

And then, of course, there are those of us who are Old-Timers who just come here and lurk:

to refresh info; check on who is still here; go into the chamber and sing because the acoustics are awesome ------ all kinds of reasons to wander back to the Old Neighborhood.

Been coming here for almost 15 years ---- almost before I was born. lmao

Peggy_TX

Came back to visit the old neighborhood, and am not seeing many of the old faces...

Just leaving a note to say hi, to those that are still here or might drop by in the future

adiantum

Hi Peggy, It's good  to see you again.

How's your photography going?

edit :  I just read your post on the photography  forum.

I'm so pleased you are doing even more work with the zoos.

Your photography skills are excellent & I did enjoy you sharing some of the photos.

rzrbks

been a member for about 15 years.

Often, I come here to lurk and see if anything special/new is happening.

To be honest, having Ins. is kind of important as whether I am going to live a while longer or die relatively soon. Much of my time is spent keeping up with the news and calling politicians who have some power as to whether I live or die. I have many Washington office phone numbers of those who wish me and all with Diabetes dead. Amazing how many of them do not like being invited to speak at my funeral.

But I must tell you that politics is very, very important to me. The first Presidential campaign I was truly involved in was Kennedy/Nixon 1960 and growing up in the South and going to schools where Blacks were my friends, teammates, people with whom I double dated and being involved in the students strikes, and anti-Kluxer protests, marches, and fights have placed my ideals and needs in areas which cannot be dealt with here.

My personal opinon, for what it's worth, is that our country is currently in such an insane place that life is almost constantly in an unreal existential state of crisis and no one feels good about it. If that is even partially true then how can people live normal lives as it was here 5 - 10 - 15 years ago?

Hope this offends no one and keep in mind that I truly believe that were it not for DF, I might not even still be alive.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.