Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lgvincent

I know for certain I've had diabetes 50 years now.

lgvincent

I went into the hospital 50 years ago today, the doctor thought I might have diabetes.  I remember the day well, I was the sickest I've ever been, begging to see a doctor and begging even more for an injection of something to stop me from regurgitating.  The vial of insulin I came home with had a date of February 29, 1968 on it and I remember watching a documentary on World War II that first got me interested in the war while I was there.  It turns out "The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich" began running on March 6, 1968.  I also saw an episode of "The Undersea World of Jacques Cousteau" and one ran on March 8.  I stayed in the hospital two weeks during the diagnosis and those programs do correspond with the time period I remember.  While there, I overheard three doctors discussing me and one said I would live about 20 years.  Does that mean I can sue him for malpractice now since it seems he got it wrong? 

adiantum

Congratulations on your 50year anniversary.

So much has happened in those 50 years. You became a teenager, an adult & pretty close to becoming a senior citizen.

You have taken good care of yourself & I  commend you for it.

May the next 40 years be yours to celebrate without  wear and tear.

lgvincent

Thank you.  I didn't expect to live this long, nor did the doctors when I was diagnosed.  I feel pretty sure I'll not make it another 40 years, even if I were able to get my bike repaired and begin riding again.   The bike could possibly help me live a little longer, provided I wasn't run over or have another accident like the one last August. 

lgvincent

Thank you.  Please keep in mind that it will take the sound waves a little time to travel that distance. 

14wMCvurk4EPcc.gif

dowling gram

I can understand that Dr's. comment. Back then it was reasonable to assume that you would not live that long. Glad to hear you beat the odds. It seems to me you were ahead of the times because you must have done something right to do so.

Not only did you come a long way so did what we know about diabetes. My FIL died in May of 1971 from complications of type 2 diabetes. He used to test his urine with a stick that changed color and then compared it to a chart. Not a very exact science. Now we at least have Glucometers and some diabetics like Dr. Bernstein who lead the way on controlling Diabetes with diet as well as meds. and insulin.

Now we just have to educate the medical profession to learn what we know. If enough of us show that it is possible to control Diabetes they will soon have to admit that diet and exercise are a big part of the picture.

Congrats on your 50th anniversary and a belated Happy Birthday

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.