Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DaveC426913

Diabetes and Candida

DaveC426913

My wife has 30 years in the medical field but she has also taken up an interest in homeopathy. I  would prefer to put my trust in traditional medicine for now. I have been reading up a little on it, but it's hard to determine what to trust. I am looking for mainstream wisdom on the connection between Diabetes and candida.

She pointed out a link between Diabetes and candida (essentially, the yeast feeds on the excess sugars excreted by one's body). 

I have had a mild 'nether regions' rash for a long time, which I had attributed to little more than one more gift of aging. I'm trying to figure out whether these two things are related.

It has become a bigger issue since my Diabetologist is talking about a new medication that lowers BGs by causing sugar to be excreted in the urine. This can lead to tract infections.

If Diabetes is linked to candida infaction, AND this is what I have, then, if I take this new med, I can expect a ... rash of rashes.

Could anyone shed any light on this?

meyery2k

Before I was first diagnosed, I was itchy between the legs.  I also had a few spots of the acanthosis nigricans on my armpits.

When I got my sugar down and kept it down, that all went away.  My dental health considerably improved as well.

If you can keep your glucose under control with diet and exercise, it is possible you might be able to reduce or eliminate the medicine. ~ Mike

TX_Clint

My wife had issues with candida until she joined me on my low carb diet. She no longer gets the rashes. As a side she also had peripheral edima in her left leg that was resolved by the low carb diet.

I take invokana/farxiga/jardiance, depending on my insurance coverage. One of these medications are what you mention being prescribed. I have had zero issues with UTI's. Most likely due to my very low carb diet of under 30g or carbs per day. Plus drinking a lot of fluids to stay well flushed.

princesslinda

I never had a yeast infection until I became diabetic.  Now, if my blood sugar gets out of control, yeast happens with a vengeance.  If sugar is being excreted through your urine by the new meds, you'll likely have more difficulty with this problem.  We see people in the urology office regularly who have UTIs and yeast infections secondary to these medications.   For me, that's enough reason for me not to take them. 

dowling gram

I'm 78. I had 1 yeast infection when I was in my 40's and never had one since or before. I do get groin heat rashes in summer but that is taken care of with cleanliness and corn starch. That 1 yeast infection was long before I was diabetic--20+ years in fact. In my opinion there is no correlation it all. It depends on if you are susceptible to yeast infections. I know a few people who are not diabetic and yet have yeast infections often. I have 1 friend who is not diabetic and  keeps cranberry capsules on hand at all times and takes them as soon as she feels she is getting a yeast infection

adiantum

I believe keeping our BG under control is the best way to avoid yeast infections.

I was telling a friend that I put coconut oil under my boobs in Summer to prevent heat rash.

She said she puts it under all her skin folds and to treat vaginal yeast infection.

samuraiguy

Yup, I had the same experience as people posted above, itchiness where I didn't want it and the dreaded thrush, but as soon as my BG came down haven't had any since.

DaveC426913

So, this creates a problem. If my diabetesologist gives me this new medication that excretes sugar in my urine, then I'm still going to end up with a yeast infection, since that's where all my sugar will be going.

TX_Clint

Dave,

No it doesn't mean you'll end up with a yeast infection. 3 years on either Jardiance or Invokana and I haven't had one yet.

dowling gram

As I said I've had 1 yeast infection in my life and that was almost 30  years before diabetes. Having diabetes does not necessarily get you a yeast infection but it's 1 good reason to get your diabetes under control but not the only reason

DaveC426913

I was inspired to write this:

Sung to the tune of Candida, by Tony Orlando & Dawn

Woah my Candida!
When sugar and yeast get togethuh'
I'm gonna be scratchin' forevuh'
Hope the answer's in my creams...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.